Downey Training in Hometown for Draft

JeffD

Downey Training in Hometown for Draft

Barrie, ON – Houston Bulls defenseman Jeff Downey has returned to his small hometown to much fanfare following his team, the Houston Bulls, elimination from the VHLM playoffs. Downey grew up in a small farm town North of Barrie, Ontario and is the first person to ever potentially reach the highest level of his sport from there.

‘It is really nice to be able to get back here.’ Downey said. ‘I haven’t been back in a few years since I made it my goal to take the next step in my hockey career. I show up and it was like a mini parade for me. Out of the 800 people in this town there had to be at least 500 there to welcome me. There is nothing like the connection of a small community to drive me to succeed.’

Downey was welcomed with a parade and dinner in his name at the local community center. The townships mayor attended and had some kind words for the prospective VHL defenseman.

‘We are all so very proud of Jeff for taking the next step. No matter how big he makes it, and I have no doubt he will be the biggest, he will always have this town as a part of him.’

Jeff has pledged to build a new hockey pavilion and rink house for the town next year with his first contract.