Team Building Exercises 9/11: Lovin' Peace

HenrikZoiderberg

Team Building Exercises 9/11: Lovin' Peace

Image result for ryan ellis suit

This is the ninth in a series of weekly interviews with the VHLM's GM's. If you have any suggestions for my next series, please don't hesitate to reach out. I'd love to hear them all. Previous weeks interviews can be found here:

Week 1

Week 2

Week 3

Week 4

Week 5

Week 6

Week 7

Week 8

This week i'll be meeting with Saskatoon Wild GM and renaissance bearded man, @Peace to discuss the warrior's heart, the search for value in depth prospects, and his relationships with other GM's. The Wild had a rough run, finishing third to last in the S67 season and missing the playoffs with a -136 goal differential and only 20 wins through 72 games.  Not all is bleak though as we get into our conversation with Peace.

As a reminder to those new to this series, these interviews were conducted prior to the S66 season, and as a result some of the information may seem a little outdated. There have been several staffing changes throughout the VHLM's GM's during this time, so if I've missed you please don't hesitate to let me know.

For the uninitiated, are the Wild an original team, or did they expand at some point?

The Wild were an original team but have relocated three times, back then they were known as the Fresno Bulls when the VHLM was an affiliate league back in S2! We’re just starting S66, so 64 seasons of Wild history is there. :)

Oh wow, so you're really the old timers. Were you their original GM, or did you take over the reins at some point?

I served as Saskatoon's acting and interim general manager during season sixty three, lead the team to a championship, then took the reigns in season sixty four. 

So not necessarily the first GM, but certainly a successful on. On the topic of building a team over the last few seasons, what do you take into consideration when you sign new players?

The biggest things for me when it comes to prospects and signings is heart, and on a forum it seems like it's impossible to have, but it boils down to finding people that actually want to play here. Part of the process is eliminated with how our free agency (waiver) system works, as prospects usually decide on what team they're interested in. 

After that it's about providing support for them through our support infrastructure, so even if they're not members of Saskatoon now, they'll want to rejoin (should I still be GM) Saskatoon when they retire and recreate. Additionally, providing a healthy and engaged locker room allows people to recruit for our team. :)

Having that sense of community and support is definitely a draw when signing new players. At the end of the '18 season Vanek said the biggest draw of the Canucks was the culture they were building. Do you have any favorite rookies in the upcoming season?

I'm biased. 

My favorite rookie heading into S66 is Tormund Giantsbane from my roster, but I'm actually excited for any Saskatoon rookie because they'll (hopefully) experience a winning season. :D

For the VHL I gotta support the black and purple, Paddywagon is a wagon you know. 

Did he get his strength from a giant's wife? What team do you consider your natural rival?

Blade and I have a... turbulent history, so I’d say the most rival team for Saskatoon would be Philadelphia.

What's next for the Saskatoon Wild in the coming season?

We’re in the succ. Only pick we have is a second round selection so... 

Last question - Do you have any advice for aspiring GM's?

For the VHLM? 

Don't get caught up in winning. Success in the VHLM is measured by how many people you graduate to the VHL, you can worry about a trophy case if/when you become a VHL GM.

A big thank you to Peace for joining us on this week's interview series, and thanks to my regular readers for following along. This series is made possible by readers like you! The series will be taking a short hiatus with the leaving of Thaundril, so let me know what you'd like to read about over the coming weeks.

-Henrik Zoiderberg

712 words

TPE for week ending September 8

Edited by HenrikZoiderberg

I don’t even consider @Peace to be my rival so it must be very one sided ... I mean if he really wants to he can get in line with a few other GMs and AGMs that form a boy band of Philadelphia haters. I heard they practice on Thursdays so he can still make it to this weeks practice in @InstantRockstar‘s garage lol

1 hour ago, BladeMaiden said:

I don’t even consider @Peace to be my rival so it must be very one sided ... I mean if he really wants to he can get in line with a few other GMs and AGMs that form a boy band of Philadelphia haters. I heard they practice on Thursdays so he can still make it to this weeks practice in @InstantRockstar‘s garage lol

This was an interview done during S65’s offseason really, and you were very trash talking everyone when S66 started and during it so shush it. 

On 9/3/2019 at 4:52 PM, Peace said:

This was an interview done during S65’s offseason really, and you were very trash talking everyone when S66 started and during it so shush it. 

My response it a little late but hopefully worth your wait .

Awww that’s cute, Devise mentions you are his first choice to be his replacement and you get feisty again... or is it that you have draft picks and you feel you can compete?

You call out GMs for focusing on winning and yet you sold your team’s future for multiple seasons for a shot at the cup, that is the definition of a hypocrite. 

In response to you calling me out over S66, oh you mean the season my team won the cup?! How dare I talk about winning and having a great team the season I actually won. Really Peace? Like I am supposed to not care about winning...ok then. Just to refresh your memory I didn’t trash talk everyone, but I guess that is how speaking your mind and being confident gets interpreted by insecure men.

Additionally,  Don’t you ever shush me, i don’t need that misogynistic bullshit and neither does the league tbh. You don’t like what I say, fine then don’t talk to me but be a damn adult about it. I don’t need to threaten you because in the end I know the type of GM you are and you’ll shoot yourself in the foot ( which unfortunately will bring down the value of peace feet but c’est la vie)

I really  enjoyed your old school Peace reply, I hope devise doesn’t retire too soon. I’d say I’ll miss you in the M but we both know you’re blocking me after this, just like every other time i say things you don’t enjoy ? 

Edited by BladeMaiden

58 minutes ago, BladeMaiden said:

oh you mean the season my team won the cup?! 

jubo's team

Just to refresh your memory I didn’t trash talk everyone

you did

i don’t need that misogynistic bullshit

huh

Alrighty, as it seems that this has come to be an official GM conversation thread today I am just gonna say this - people, stop acting up and taking everything seriously. Please, for the love of *insert your local deity* talk privately! At least put your mind to a test and think about the fact that every new member can see this. Do you want this to be the image of us, VHLM GMs?

Maybe I should have stayed away from this thing, but I find it to be my responsibility to bring some sense to this world.

9 minutes ago, InstantRockstar said:

I'm just curious why I was even tagged in this when it has nothing to do with me? o.o by someone who is super irrelevant may I add. 

Something about me practicing in your garage for some reason. 

7 minutes ago, FrostBeard said:

Alrighty, as it seems that this has come to be an official GM conversation thread today I am just gonna say this - people, stop acting up and taking everything seriously. Please, for the love of *insert your local deity* talk privately! At least put your mind to a test and think about the fact that every new member can see this. Do you want this to be the image of us, VHLM GMs?

Maybe I should have stayed away from this thing, but I find it to be my responsibility to bring some sense to this world.

No, it's certainly what should have happened, in fact you're right. 

I lost my cool, so I'll go back and redact my post. 

6 minutes ago, FrostBeard said:

Completely agree with your entire message as well as taking it to DMs. Also, I don’t think you could’ve anticipated this happening tbf.

3 minutes ago, fonziGG said:

Completely agree with your entire message as well as taking it to DMs. Also, I don’t think you could’ve anticipated this happening tbf.

How many times you got angry because my team considers Halifax our biggest rivals and our arch-nemesis? I just don't get these bickering things without a real reason - Peace said "I consider Philly our rivals" and suddenly there is an outrage.

3 minutes ago, FrostBeard said:

Peace, you know what I meant. 

I'm being serious bud, I know it's hard to see over text, but that was sincere. 

As VHLM GMs we're supposed to come across as accepting, tolerable, calm and respectful - this wasn't it, so I've gone and redacted my post.