S67 Hall of Fame Induction

Victor

• Admin

It is my pleasure to welcome you to the Season 67 VHL Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony.

Player Induction: D - Ay Ay Ron @boubabi

Fittingly, as the member behind the player is allowed to return to the VHL, so his most recently retired player is inducted into the Hall of Fame. There was some debate over Ay Ay Ron since his retirement, given the late career slump and move to forward, but ultimately his peak as the VHL's best defenceman for 3 seasons was hard to overlook. A joint record 3 Beketov Trophies (tied with Conner Low), a large accumulation of Wylde and Valiq Trophies (and almost certainly 3 Labatte Trophies if they existed at the time), perhaps my placement of AAR in essentially the top 15 defencemen of all time may have been driven by recency bias, but he is certainly among the best 25-30 we've seen.

Finally, questions were raised about his playoff performances, but AAR stepped up when it mattered as playoff MVP in S60, driving Helsinki to the 3rd Continental Cup of their 9-season dynasty, of which he was an essential part.

Full stats and achievements below:

Spoiler

D/RW - Ay Ay Ron, S56, S56-S63 :hel::dav::tor: 

RS: 575 GP, 129 G, 443 A, 572 P, +342, 1047 PIM, 1877 HIT, 781 SB, 25 GW

RS (D): 461 GP, 87 G, 385 A, 472 P, +308, 895 PIM, 1527 HIT, 744 SB, 30GW

RS (RW): 114 GP, 42 G, 58 A, 100 P, +34, 152 PIM, 350 HIT, 37 SB, 5 GW

PO: 66 GP, 11 G, 37 A, 48 P, +12, 158 PIM, 257 HIT, 97 SB, 2 GW

PO (D): 57 GP, 9 G, 32 A, 41 P, +15, 150 PIM, 216 HIT, 97 SB, 1 GW

PO (RW): 9 GP, 2 G, 5 A, 7 P, -3, 8 PIM, 41 HIT, 0 SB, 1 GW

S59 Alexander Valiq Trophy (Top Offensive Defenceman)

S59 Alexander Beketov Trophy (Most Assists)

S60 Daisuke Kanou Trophy (Playoff MVP)

S60 Alexander Valiq Trophy (Top Offensive Defenceman)

S60 Alexander Beketov Trophy (Most Assists) 

S61 Jake Wylde Trophy (Top Defensive Defenceman)

S61 Alexander Beketov Trophy (Most Assists) 

One Continental Cup (S60) 

S68 Player Voting Results:

Ay Ay Ron - 11/14

Mathias Chouinard - 2/14

Keaton Louth - 1/14

Builder Induction: Matt Bailey @Quik

Quik is one of those members who we could have easily turned back to at some point if he hadn't come back and said, you know, we should probably induct him. If you simply took his first period of activity (S1-S19), when he produced 3 straight Hall of Famers (Matthew Pogge, Branden Snelheid, and Matt Bailey) and successfully managed the Helsinki Titans to the Continental Cup in S15, there was already enough to warrant at least a discussion for a Builder induction.

Quik then spent most of the next years away from the VHL - although one of his few players in between, the S34 draftee Matteo Gallo, is still one of my favourite members of the S36 Davos cup-winning team - but once he came back with Mats Johnsson in S57, he has become an absolutely integral member of the league. A perfect mix of sim league experience but also in many ways a fresh pair of eyes, Quik rose back to prominence as a moderator and member of the Board of Governors as we came out of contraction, and has generated a lot of discussion in a time when the league missed exactly that. He was rewarded for his enthusiasm by becoming a VHL Commissioner, a position he has performed very well to this day, while also coming back for a second successful stint as Helsinki GM.

We often induct Builders after their biggest achievements are already behind them, but it wouldn't surprise me if Quik is only at the start of his renaissance and the league continues to expand and grow under his watch.

*Builder voting this season was a straight choice between two unanimous options - you will likely see the other member inducted into the Hall of Fame in S68.

Congratulations to @Quik and @boubabi!

• Victor featured this topic

Congrats, two very deserving candidates again this season. Ay Ay one of the few prominent player switches to get in. Totally agree with the sentiments regarding Quik, he came in at a time where we were pretty overwhelmed behind the scenes and his "team" approach to the overall Blue at the time and with dolling out responsibilities really put things in the right perspective. 

:cheers: guys! 

Edited by Devise

2 minutes ago, Nykonax said:

oh fuck guys it wasn't unanimous

The thing with HOF is there's not a limit, just a limited rate per season. The votes for Chouinard and Louth aren't necessarily votes against Ron getting in, unlike the Slobo vote where someone else getting it would necessarily have meant Cornerstone not getting it.

4 minutes ago, diamond_ace said:

The thing with HOF is there's not a limit, just a limited rate per season. The votes for Chouinard and Louth aren't necessarily votes against Ron getting in, unlike the Slobo vote where someone else getting it would necessarily have meant Cornerstone not getting it.

Actually I believe you only could vote one this season cause I tried voting more than one.

1 minute ago, Advantage said:

Actually I believe you only could vote one this season cause I tried voting more than one.

Bolded my point (plus, I said that already- "just a limited rate per season"). There aren't separate halls of fame, it's all the same one

• Commissioner
19 minutes ago, Advantage said:

Actually I believe you only could vote one this season cause I tried voting more than one.

We’ve been doing that for the last few seasons, I think the last 4. We’ll go back to two in a season or two but the draft classes were quite weak for awhile so if we had continued doing 2 per season anyone halfway decent would have been getting in simply from lack of voting options.

10 minutes ago, Beketov said:

We’ve been doing that for the last few seasons, I think the last 4. We’ll go back to two in a season or two but the draft classes were quite weak for awhile so if we had continued doing 2 per season anyone halfway decent would have been getting in simply from lack of voting options.

Unless we change our metrics be lucky to get any new faces in haha. Point's and stats are skewing lower in this era, not to mention consistency. 

• Admin
7 minutes ago, Devise said:

Unless we change our metrics be lucky to get any new faces in haha. Point's and stats are skewing lower in this era, not to mention consistency. 

Cast and Thompson got your back for a season don't worry.

30 minutes ago, Devise said:

I mean if you don't factor in performance relative to era, then you would be doing a disservice to the league. Stats seem to be skewing lower because the overall competition is much higher, not because the current players are worse than before.

1 hour ago, DilIsPickle said:

SHIT ITS GONNA HAPPEN AGAIN

@boubabi put the gun down, we can talk this out my guy

I don't know what boubabi's feelings are about the subject. Maybe he wants to say stuff or maybe hes trying really hard to move on from this subject. but when you egg him on and if he comes back to rip you a new one, don't go crying to the powers at be.

dont keep poking the bear when the bear bites back who should you be mad at? the bear or yourself.

tl/dr

dont be a dickhead.

42 minutes ago, TheLastOlympian07 said:

I don't know what boubabi's feelings are about the subject. Maybe he wants to say stuff or maybe hes trying really hard to move on from this subject. but when you egg him on and if he comes back to rip you a new one, don't go crying to the powers at be.

dont keep poking the bear when the bear bites back who should you be mad at? the bear or yourself.

tl/dr

dont be a dickhead.

Yikes take a joke boomer

If you simply took his first period of activity (S1-S19), when he produced 3 straight Hall of Famers (Matthew Pogge, Branden Snelheid, and Matt Bailey) and successfully managed the Helsinki Titans to the Continental Cup in S15, there was already enough to warrant at least a discussion for a Builder induction

----

Always thought the player part wouldnt count, totally get being indicted for the second stint though :) But happy to hear that the player part helps a little bit afterall. 

congrats both :)

• Commissioner
5 hours ago, Green said:

Always thought the player part wouldnt count

It doesn’t count, @Victor was just embellishing for the induction. Builder is entirely based on the member, not the players they create.

• Admin
20 minutes ago, Beketov said:

It doesn’t count, @Victor was just embellishing for the induction. Builder is entirely based on the member, not the players they create.

I take it into consideration. It's not the most important factor by any means, but still helps.

16 hours ago, diamond_ace said:

Bolded my point (plus, I said that already- "just a limited rate per season"). There aren't separate halls of fame, it's all the same one

Right but then you said they weren't votes against him which in the case of being able to only vote for one...they are.

Edited by Advantage