Downey Headed to Vancouver

JeffD

Downey Headed to Vancouver

Vancouver, British Columbia – The S68 VHL entry draft has come to a close and in a big surprise move defenseman Jeff Downey has ended up being drafted by the Vancouver Wolves. Vancouver, the defending champions in the VHL traded up to get their guy at fourth overall knowing that the expansion DC Dragons would be looking to draft him when they traded up to fifth overall. Downey was caught at the draft and asked how he felt about the pick.

‘I couldn’t be more pleased with how it turned out. I came into the draft hoping I would go in the top 5, probably to a rebuilding team or an expansion squad. While it would have been a great experience to be on a team starting from the bottom and building it back up with them it is something completely surprising to be selected by the defending champions. I may not have as big of a role with the Wolves as I would with a lower end team but the chance for a championship is there from the very start. That is a special situation to come into.’

It isn’t yet known where Downey will slot in with his new team but his skillset could set him up to have an immediate impact on a lower pairing.