DC Dragons Press Conference

Enorama

1. I just learned the concept of someone's "main", and it made me really curious: what's your main sim league?

Historically it's been the VHL. As I'm coming up on retirement and a player break though, it'll probably be the SBA next. I have a lot invested in Serrano at this point.

2. Is your main league the same as your first league? If no, why'd you switch?

Well, my first league (the MSFL) has been dead since 2008, so no. Fuck, I'm old.

3. Do you find it easy or hard to keep up with one or more sim leagues in your life?

It comes in waves. I've had to go inactive because of real life stuff before. Currently though, and especially with the pandemic, it's no problem.

4. Someone on the playground tells you they heard Benny Graves got traded. You run back home to check the VHL news and you go to....

I've always been a forum person. I feel like it's too easy to lose stuff on Discord if you're not constantly on there.

5. Are you here on a mobile, a laptop on the couch, a desktop computer or something else? How do you physically interact with the league?

Laptop at my desk, I tend to be here during the work day during downtime most often.

6. Fill in the blank: I'm really hoping I get a _______ for VHL Christmas!

A championship? That'd be nice, haven't had one of those for a while.

1. I just learned the concept of someone's "main", and it made me really curious: what's your main sim league?

PBE - It was my first sim league, I'm primarily a baseball guy first, I've been co-GM, GM, updater, head updater, and banker over there.

Yep, same as first.  But I love hockey too, so joined the VHL and SHL and also ISFL for football.

3. Do you find it easy or hard to keep up with one or more sim leagues in your life?
Not really very hard.  I have a checklist for each league and I'm off on Mondays and just bang out 90% of the week's work then.

4. Someone on the playground tells you they heard Benny Graves got traded. You run back home to check the VHL news and you go to....

a) the forum,

b) the discord,

c) tune the TV to VSN
I go to discord to yell at my GMs in the LR.

5. Are you here on a mobile, a laptop on the couch, a desktop computer or something else? How do you physically interact with the league?
Literally a laptop on the couch right now - and 99% of the time.

Playoff clinch.

The SBA is my main league. I've always been a basketball guy but i love all sports really. So the VHL still interests me. 

Sure is. Stumbled upon it on Reddit (when the advertising through there was still a thing) and have just expanded my sim leagues from there. 

It hasn't been too hard considering all three of them (SBA, VHL and EFL) allow affiliation. If it weren't for that my activity would definitely be a lot less in any league outside of my main.

b) Discord. More specifically, my LR. Mostly cause I'm not around the forum too often and don't pay too much attention to the TV/VSN.

Mostly desktop computer, but mobile as well to keep up to date on anything going on. Ideally I'd say laptop too if mine hadn't turned into complete garbage.  

A championship. Would be a nice stocking stuffer. 

Edited by Midnite

On 12/9/2020 at 6:25 PM, bigAL said:

MIDWEEK HUMP DAY PRESSER

a) the forum,

b) the discord,

c) tune the TV to VSN

1. VHL is my main. VHL has always been my main.

2. Yep. VHL was my first and I think it's grown the most out of the others as well. It's the one I've had the most jobs and most players as well.

3. It used to be a lot harder, but since we have the affiliate PT leagues, it's become way easier. I wouldn't be in SBA or EFL if we didn't have the affiliate PT claiming.

4. I would go to the forum to the trade section first and foremost, then my team's Discord to find out what happened.

5. Desktop computer. I'm usually on a desktop PC for this.

6. Continental Cup!

• 2 weeks later...

PLAAAAAAYOFFS!

1. Holy hell Dragons, we did it! What was the key to making the playoffs?

2. Did you celebrate clinching 3rd? How?

3. We’ve got the defending champs lined up next round. Predict the final score of the series. 

4. What’s the game plan for these Wolves?

5. Is there anyone on Vancouver that scares you?

6. Did you have a good holidays? (Or a good December if you don’t get a break)

1 hour ago, bigAL said:

PLAAAAAAYOFFS!

3. We’ve got the defending champs lined up next round. Predict the final score of the series. 

1. The key is obviously the second line production. Knowing that Benny can be Benny and we survived the season without him is a big confidence boost

2. I celebrated with an old tradition, tequila!

3. I think we can edge them out 4-2, we're a better team this year

4. We outscore them, while also preventing them from scoring more than we do

5. They have a more veteran coach in Beaviss who has been there before, I think we should be making changes early and often if we somehow go down 2 games quick

6. I almost got out to ski yesterday but boot too tight got in the way 😕

2 hours ago, bigAL said:

PLAAAAAAYOFFS!

1.  Playing as a team and everyone contributing what their particular skills bring to the whole.
2. I don't celebrate until the Cup win.  I did have a nice burgundy that evening, but I usually have a decent win with dinner anyway.

3. 4-1  Dragons
4. Pin them in their own end and pummel the net.  Wolski to stand on his head when needed.

5. No one scares me.  I am only concerned about playing my best.

6. Yes, great time had by all.  Son home from college so that's a real blessing.

5 hours ago, bigAL said:

PLAAAAAAYOFFS!

1) Had to trick simonT by mentioning certain keywords in our discord.....
2) Ove is really hyped for the playoffs, and he took the time to train even harder, because the road ahead doesn't get easier.
3) 4 - 1 D.C
4) Gotta wear them down, they are skilled but beatable, gotta frustrate them.
5) No, I'm ready to face everyone
6) Yeah, spent needed time with my family, hope enjoyed their holidays.

On 12/28/2020 at 7:41 AM, bigAL said:

PLAAAAAAYOFFS!

1. Consistency as a team. Score goals and keep pucks out of our own net. It's been a very up and down season doing that.

2. I just kept at it in the gym. I don't want to lose focus for the playoffs.

3. 4-3. I think a lot of these will be close.

4. We have to stay composed and keep pucks out.

5. No. As long as my defense can prevent easy tap ins, I'll be fine.

6. It was as good as it could have been. Wasn't able to visit anyone but a quick swing by to my parents' houses outside. Had a small dinner with my brother and mother. That's about it.

Winning.

No I did not. Third should not be celebrated as it's really the bronze medal. No one cares about bronze.

Good god man, keep up. You are currently 1-1 against Chicago. What poor management here in the District of Colombia.

Doesn't matter, they're poop anyway. Show the GM some feet pics and he'll crumble. Easy victory.

Yes, the GM. I'm scared he'll draft me, even after issuing him a power move via private message.

It was decidedly average to be completely honest. It may as well have been a normal working week. 

Conference Finals edition

1. One more win is needed against Chicago. Can we wrap this up today?

2. Who has been the most influential player on the roster through playoffs?

3. Beating out Vancouver and going up on Chicago... What has been your highlight this season? 

4. What is your pregame meal during the playoffs?

5. What are your strange playoff rituals?

6. How are you doing throughout this pandemic?

Of course we can!  Now, will we?  lol

Seems like I keep seeing Graves and Flowers in the score sheet (just off the top of my head), but Wolski has been key as well.

3. Beating out Vancouver and going up on Chicago... What has been your highlight this season? 

Gotta be sitting at 1 W away from the Final for the first time in Dragons history.

Chateaubriand and a nice Côtes du Rhône.

I'm a fairly boring traditionalist - playoff beard is the main thing.  Of course, I always put my left skate on first, but that's all season long.

Like everyone - just really sick and tired of it, but encouraging everyone to stay strong to the end.  Vaccine is here, but going to take a while to get it out to enough folks and there could be a lot of suffering in the meantime.

5 hours ago, fonziGG said:

1) Unfortunately, we didn't.... but we're coming back stronger tomorrow.
2) Wolski carrying us last couple of games, inspires everyone on and off the ice
3) Finally enjoying playoffs, haven't really gotten them that much before, feels awesome.
4) Chicken with rice all the way.
5) Ove loves listening to local norwegian folk music before the games, it energizes him and reminds him where he came from.
6) Mosty chilling, luckily it hasn't affected me or anyone around me that much.

On 1/4/2021 at 12:20 PM, fonziGG said:

Considering today was a couple days ago, no, but today as in today, i think we have it today

I think Wolski, the impact he's put up recently has been nothing short of stellar

I think just the amount of offense we were able to produce throughout the season w/ my line was worthy of a highlight.

1 single orange, always have always will

Playing 80s hits from spotify in the lockerroom pre-game

Still hanging in there, just bought myself an exercise machine to cram into my already overpacked apartment, but hopefully it gets used!

. One more win is needed against Chicago. Can we wrap this up today?

GAME 7 LETS GOOOOOOOO WE GOT THIS

The re emergence of Flowers and Graves has come just at the right time, they are super influential.

I loved when I was chasing the scoring title... maybe next year....

Bangers n mash, gotta carb load up!

Pre-game poop so I'm lighter on my skates

Work from home is sooooo good, I love it way more than work remotely from the office. Too bad it's only for one week.

Offseason pressers

1. Malmo has beaten us out for the cup this year. What do you think we should've did differently?

2. Who is your favourite member of the team so far?

3. Do you have any suggestions for upper management?

4. It's offseason time, who do you think we grab in the draft?

5. Do you have any offseason plans this year?

6. What is your favourite cheat meal?

35 minutes ago, fonziGG said:

Offseason pressers

1. Malmo has beaten us out for the cup this year. What do you think we should've did differently?

1. I think we should've scored more goals than them and won Game 6.

2. Xavier Laflammant is my boy, we've been stuck together all my time here and I like him and he definitely shouldn't leave us in the offseason.

3. Do whatever it takes to get that pending free agent whose rights were just traded to the west coast team.

4. Do we even have draft picks this year? Eno's been busy getting rid of them so we can WIN NOW.

5. I'm gonna climb Mount Everest cause why not eh? Gotta get that cardio and VO2 max up.

6. I looove mac'n'cheese. I'm eating some right now. It is cheating because it's super carby and has a metric shitton of cheese and I won't poop for a week, but I add spinach and carrots so it's actually healthy.

1. Probably should have traded for Defenz Mann sooner.

2. Gotta be STZ or the GM.  STZ started around the time I was last super active and GM plays some LoL.

3. Feed Mann the puck.

4. Probably some scrub that isn't worth his weight in TPE.

5. Slack off and collect welfare.

6. Ice Cream.

I'm not sure there was much that could have been done against them to be honest. It seemed destiny for Adrienne.

I have a few favorites on the Dragons, but Benny Graves holds a special place in my heart.

I would not dare to make suggestions to the Dragons front office. They have shown how capable they are and there's little doubt they have plans in place for another successful season.

I think DC has the 7th pick, so it's certain that they will select an appropriate need for their roster. 

Not really. I just want to continue to work on my skills and build, with a possible switch to forward. I just want to get better.

If I'm going to blow my strict diet, it will be with beer, not food. I'm not wasting time with nutrition.

On 1/11/2021 at 7:51 PM, fonziGG said:

Offseason pressers

1) Our Powerplay really let us down, gotta work on that harder for the next season
2) Groovy, such a fun guy to be around, motivated to perform on the ice and helping everyone off the ice.
3) I think they're doing everything fine, we have our plan and we're going for it.
4) No idea, havent looked at draft rankings yet, but I trust my GM and his vision.
5) Work hard and get better to help D.C take that extra step next season.
6) Dyrdahl really loves pizza.

Offseason pressers

I think it's one of those things where we did everything we could do. We were two wins away from a cup and just couldn't get it done. Run it back next year.

Honestly it's been a great ride in DC. Getting to know all the guys has really made me fall in love with this site and community once again. Big shoutout to all the good people on this team; @Enorama@GRZ @fonziGG @BarzalGoat @bigAL@DollarAndADream @KC15 It has been a pleasure.

Keep patient and stay focused on the process of building a cup-caliber team and not so much having a cup. I think Eno and Fonz are both patient and focused, it's just something I learned as my time in the GM role. The fun and enjoyment from the league is building a team and enjoying the members and community you have, not so much the actual award or achievement a cup brings.

I saw we got Cait :)

Enjoy my final year with Graves. Soak it in with my last season with the Dragons, it's been a hell of a ride.

Big Mac or Whopper. IRL I've cut fast food out of my life for January. I usually eat out a few times a week, so it's been an adjustment. Eating garbage food is kinda my vice, I just love it, so Feb 1 is gonna be a day.

On 1/11/2021 at 9:51 AM, fonziGG said:

Offseason pressers

1.  It's hard to say, really. We got really close. I think it was just all in the sim. We definitely had what was needed.

2. Nobody that answered these questions said me, so I'll just go with everyone. Take the easy way out. I can't pick a favourite anyways. It's been a fun ride.

3. Win more and lose less. EZ dub

4. Saw we got Cait, and I'm happy with that. Great member, great player.

5. Not really. Fighting regression, trying to come back just as strong next season.

6. Chicken fettuccini alfredo.

On 1/11/2021 at 11:51 AM, fonziGG said:

Offseason pressers

1. Earned more, have a better work ethic.

2. Gorlab for sure.

3. Nah, they are doing a fine job.

4. Best guy available, a team person.

5. Nah not really.

6. Chick Fil A haha

Preseason pressers

1. Who do you think is going to break out this season?

2. How do you think our offseason went?

3. Are we going to win it all this season?

4. If so, are you prepared to outwork every other team?

5. What does DC need next in order to continue being a strong roster?

6. Do you have any suggestions for management?

Edited by fonziGG

1 hour ago, fonziGG said:

Preseason pressers

1. Who do you think is going to break out this season?

2. How do you think our offseason went?

3. Are we going to win it all this season?

4. If so, are you prepared to outwork every other team?

5. What does DC need next in order to continue being a strong roster?

6. Do you have any suggestions for management?

1. I haven't met everyone on the team just yet so I'm not too confident in saying to be honest,  I'm hoping the whole team can have a real banner year, if you know what I mean.

2. It's a bit hard to judge that for me, I'm just the rookie who is happy to be here. That said I think the team definitely made quite a few moves they seem happy with and I fully trust the management of the team, so I believe we will have improved.

3. I believe this will be our year. I hope I can help contribute to that in some way but, absolutely I believe this team can win it all. This team was on the doorstep last season and management has made moves to improve us this offseason. 

4. Outwork, outhustle, outlast. That is the plan. We've got to. Every other team is going for the cup to, every other team wants it as badly as we do, we have to actually put our money where our mouth is and make it happen.

5. Again, I don't know the roster well enough to make those kind of judgments, I place my trust in management to decide these things. They've got a handle on it, I believe.

6. That isn't really my place as a player. If they want my advice they'll ask for it, and at that time I'll do my best to provide advice that is succinct, yet helpful. Until then I'm going to keep my head down and train like hell until the season starts.