DC Dragons Press Conference

Enorama

3 hours ago, Enorama said:

1. Who is your early prediction to win the S69 Continental Cup?

I'm going for a repeat of Seattle, but you never know.  Hard to do.

2. Which of Tagger and Beketov do you see going 1st overall in S70? Or is there someone else who will come out of left field and take it?

With not a lot of conviction in one over the other, I'm flipping a coin and saying Beketov.

3. Drafts are starting to get weaker again after the heyday of the 60s, do you have any ideas on where we could find new members?

Do we post in Out of the Park Development's FHM forums?  How about any place that regular STHS league openings are posted?

4. Does DCD win more or less than 20 games this year (our total from S68)?

I'm confidently predicting more than 20 wins in S69.  We have our old core, but some new actives that will earn all year and the signing of Jerwa on the blue line.

5. Was Aaltonen's S68 campaign a one-off or will he get even better with a better supporting cast this year?

Definitely better.  Not only will the supporting cast be better, so will he.

6. In what season do you see us making the playoffs for the first time?

Ok, not this season or probably next, but I think we'll have enough development from our new guys and maybe some FA acquisitions that will make sense at that point, so with some real confidence, I'll go with S71.

Hanging my thoughts on Malmo again, I think they can make the push.

2. Which of Tagger and Beketov do you see going 1st overall in S70? Or is there someone else who will come out of left field and take it?

I'm going with Tagger on this one, I'm pretty biased towards Blueliners

3. Drafts are starting to get weaker again after the heyday of the 60s, do you have any ideas on where we could find new members?

This is my first and only Sim League I've ever joined and I joined off the San Jose Sharks reddit so I think more efforts in posting in hockey-related forums would be great.

Most definitely, take that to the bank

5. Was Aaltonen's S68 campaign a one-off or will he get even better with a better supporting cast this year?

He's only going to get better from here now that we have an even better supporting cast.

I know we're going to crush it this season compared to the last but I'm not 100% on this year however I plan on playing every game like a playoff game so we'll see!

Us, duh

I guess Beketov since he is commish

Affiliations with other leagues? While I understand it's hot topic after recent SBA debacle, that's one avenue that universally helped all leagues all-around

Of course! Everyone improved (even myself despite regression), we also gelled and should perform better together.

He is just getting started and with similar minutes and better supporting cast he should be awards contender.

That's a tough one, I hope next year while I'd still be useful, since by S71 in last year I doubt 2nd line minutes will be achievable

On 11/11/2019 at 7:07 AM, Enorama said:

1. If not us, I’d say Malmo. They were looking good last season so it wouldn’t surprise me to see them take it.

2. I would probably go with Beketov

3. Affiliations with other leagues always seems to draw the most numbers. Despite the falling out of the SBA one (which I happen to be apart of), they help a lot of sim leagues bring in extra traffic.

4. Definitely more. I can see us atleast getting 30 if not more.

5. I can’t see him getting worse. With a better supporting cast he’s sure to have an even better season

6. I’d like to say this one, but I’d say possibly next season for sure! 

Moscow Menace imho. Big UFA additions and my playerbuild is fixed so I'm gonna be eating other Centers food all season, Ryan Kastelic included.

Beketov just lucky Victor ain't recreating with him as far as I know.... Beketov for 1st oa pretty clearly I think.

I don't know, maybe reach out to a HOCKEY CARD YOUTUBER cuz there's a decent niche community of hockey card collecting enthusiasts who are probably perfectly built for sim leaguing.

Moscow was in this exact same situation after year 1, and we won more than 20. So I think DC Dragons will win more than 20 games this year. 

He will definitely get better. Underrated gem from the S66 draft class, even though he was drafted half a round before me.

S69.

Sorry for the lateness this week folks

1. One team in each division is guaranteed playoffs. Ours is a pretty weak one. Out of D.C., Toronto, and New York, who makes playoffs? Does more than one of us?

2. Prague is off to a quick start, similar to Malmo in their second season. Where will they finish in the standings?

3. Would you rather spread scoring out across a top six F core or load up a single line?

4. Right now, backups are required to play 8 games per year. With more human backups coming into the league, should this number be raised at all?

5. How do you approach contract negotiations?

6. How would you approach draft interviews if you were a GM?

3 minutes ago, Enorama said:

1. One team in each division is guaranteed playoffs. Ours is a pretty weak one. Out of D.C., Toronto, and New York, who makes playoffs? Does more than one of us?

2. Prague is off to a quick start, similar to Malmo in their second season. Where will they finish in the standings?

3. Would you rather spread scoring out across a top six F core or load up a single line?

4. Right now, backups are required to play 8 games per year. With more human backups coming into the league, should this number be raised at all?

1) tbh I think we have a solid chance, last season we got 20+ wins with a pretty bad roster, no we have more depth and better players/chemistry, so why not. Early playoff run for the Dragons.
2) Looking at their roster they don't have anyone outstanding but what they have is that everyone is on a similar level, and their goalies aren't that amazing either, probably somewhere middle of the pack, maybe more towards the end.
3) Spread top6, although seeing 1 line produce 20+ points combined a night could be fun(*cough* boston *cough), I think depth is important.
4) Most definitely, I think the league will expand even more and then 8 games would be too low, although maybe there could be other ways like implementing goalie fatigue, but that's probably too messy.
5) Since I don't really care about the player money, I just take the most team-friendly deal there is, more beneficial to the team.
6) Easy. ask what their favorite NHL team is, if the answer is Toronto or Montreal, instantly delete them your scouting list, Probably something generic like asking how active they can be and want to be, this type of research goes a long way, especially in a volatile sim league like this one, your star player can just AFK and then it's gg 

D.C. for sure, I have a lot of faith in our team especially with the new additions. The team only got better and I can't wait to see where it'll take us.

They definitely started on the right foot this season, I think they'll clinch a playoff spot by the end if they keep it up.

I like the idea of spreading out scoring more, makes it more of a team effort rather than relying on big guns stepping up every game.

Just because it's required doesn't mean that they should be limited to just 8. I'm all for players getting a chance if the player is willing to take the responsibility in honing their skills and get better.

I consider myself very team-friendly. I don't need a max contract or anything huge, I'm looking to win. I don't enjoy the idea of being a journeyman either, I would rather stick with an organization and build a good relationship with management so that way there's a clear understanding on goals for both sides.

Keep it simple, ask Draftees their goals, what style of play they aspire to be and how they can help the team. It's good to acknowledge strengths but also understand their weaknesses as well and how it fits in the team as a whole.

7 hours ago, Enorama said:

1. Dc will turn some heads i think, I can see them making it in i think.
2. Itll be tough for them but I think they can squeeze into a playoff spot i think.
3. Always the big line i think.
4. I dont think so i think.
5. I would approach it with a clear head and take as much moolah as i can i think
6. I would probably start by asking if they could see themselves playing for my team i think

I personally think D.C. makes playoffs. D.C. is in a (self proclaimed) weaker division, and they managed to get some really promising draft picks that could develop into some very solid 2nd-3rd line players later on down the road. With a team that is retaining a lot of former players, they stand the best chance of making playoffs.

Probably around 3rd or 4th overall.

I'd rather load up on a top six F core. Stacking your talent on a single line puts your at a severe disadvantage against teams with more depth since there's a higher disparity in talent for a longer portion of the game.

I don't think so. 8 games is a decent sample size to give backup players a better feel for hockey in the big leagues while minimizing the risk of compromising wins.  This could be raised to 10-12 in the future but 8 is still a decent number so far IMO.

I try to approach negotiations by understanding what my players want for themselves. After this, gauge to see if their demands are fair or if they're over/under estimating their value. Sometimes a player just isn't a good fit for the team and that's perfectly fine, but I try to keep my players compensated fairly since I believe developing chemistry and synergy is important for success without making my team a revolving door of players.

Try to look for ways to connect with these prospects on a personal level. Outside of aspects related to the player's skill, finding out what the player's values are, and where they're looking to go in the VHL is important in ensuring that  they'll be a good fit in the team. An extremely talented player with a toxic mentality holds far less value to me  than a less talented player with the drive to mesh with his team and continue improving.

8 hours ago, Enorama said:

I think D.C has a good chance, as well as Toronto from the look of things right now. I could see at least 2.

I think Prague could finish 4th or 3rd, I could see them slowing down a bit. Malmo I could see finishing 5th or 6th.

Spread it out, better to have multiple lines that can produce.

I think so, maybe up to 10? or even 12? let them have some more time and let the starter rest a bit more.

I like to be open as possible, always willing to take less pay for the team.

I would be honest with them and the kinda ice time they would get, make sure their gonna keep working to get better, maybe throw in a joke or 2. A positive attitude is important to, make sure everyone will get along.

Getting em out of the way early this week.

1. Does the NHL exist in VHL canon? How do you think the two leagues would interact?

2. Two VHLM teams are off to a roaring start at 7-1, which one of Saskatoon or Mexico City will maintain the momentum the longest?

3. Would you rather be a HoF player with 0 cups, or a depth player with 2 cups?

4. How much sleep should you be getting the night before a game? Are you a pre-game nap kind of guy?

5. Which of our additions in the off-season will have the most impact? (Lesieur, Graves, Washington, Jerwa, Kidd, Hooper, and Buster are all rookies or FA)

6. Who's going to finish dead last in the EU this season? Hint: there's only one team with a lower team overall than us.

15 hours ago, Enorama said:

1. Does the NHL exist in VHL canon? How do you think the two leagues would interact?

2. Two VHLM teams are off to a roaring start at 7-1, which one of Saskatoon or Mexico City will maintain the momentum the longest?

4. How much sleep should you be getting the night before a game? Are you a pre-game nap kind of guy?

5. Which of our additions in the off-season will have the most impact? (Lesieur, Graves, Washington, Jerwa, Kidd, Hooper, and Buster are all rookies or FA)

6. Who's going to finish dead last in the EU this season? Hint: there's only one team with a lower team overall than us.

1.  I always think of the VHL as an alternate and better (cough, cough) league in the same real world as the NHL.  Perhaps the NHL is akin to the WHL of our league.
2.  Mexico City.  I played there before being traded to the Aces and there's a lot of heart in that organization.

3.  Tough one.  It's all about the Cup, but Lesieur does not like riding the pine.  If depth player is 2nd line, I'll take the Cups.  If it is 4th line, not so sure.

4.  At least 7 hours with a pre-game nap to top off the tank.

5.  I'd like to say Lesieur and I have great confidence in his slightly longer term success, but I'd have to go with Jerwa number one and Graves number two.  The crazy stuff Graves did on the ice in Las Vegas was for real!

6.  I'll take the easy out and say the Phantoms.  No way I'm saying D.C.  Don't believe it.

I don't think the NHL exists in VHL canon.

Saskatoon will, they live up north in the cold and are always playing good hockey let me tell ya. You got yourselves some good Saskatchewan boys and they play good tough hockey.

While it would be an honour to be inducted into the hall of fame, it's something I'm comfortable with missing as nothing compares to winning a championship (speaking from experience). For me, it's the ultimate testament to a team's will to win, utilization of talent and sheer grit and determination.

Sleep is an aspect to recovery and sports that should never be taken lightly. I try to get 9 hours of sleep minimum  before a game as that maximizes the recovery time for my muscles after practice and ensures I'm mentally sharp for the game. Sleep deprivation is linked to numerous health problems including increased risk of heart disease and decreased mental performance, this could lead to a player being in bad physical shape for a game leaving them more susceptible to injury and mentally drained which greatly increases the likelihood of them making poor decisions.

Graves is looking extremely promising. He might not be as developed as some of the other FAs signed this year but he could turn out to be a very flexible player with a lot of depth to his playstyle.

I think Davos is going to finish last. They lost a lot of talent and their draft picks this season aren't developing at a rate that would allow them to be competitive against the better teams in the league.

On 11/18/2019 at 7:43 AM, Enorama said:

I'd say the NHL has folded in my head canon, Hockey lost it's national support in the US and moved to an international model instead to retain viewership and expand it's reach though at the cost of downsizing the number of teams.

Mexico City I think, they've made some really smart moves in the off-season, picking up numerous players, I know they've got some great talent in Daldo and Nyurgen from San Diego.

A HoF player, in that case you can say that you really did the best you could and the die just didn't fall your way, if you were a depth player your contributions will be forgotten about in short order I'd guess. though it depends how deep in the lines you were etc.

I have a odd sleep schedule, the travel to games etc means I often fall asleep on the plane/coach. My teammates have ribbed me about being able to fall asleep anywhere but I say it's a blessing. Means I'm always pretty well rested and an afternoon nap before warming up for game is a common occurrence for me.

It's gotta be Graves right? He was such a force in the Minors last season and having played a playoff series against him I'd say he's definitely ready for the next step up and to start facing the VHL goaltenders on an almost equal playing field.

Gotta be Davos right,  they've lost a lot of good guys and are gonna be bottom feeding for a few seasons I think, though they've got a decent GM so I think they'll be able to turn it around in short order.

On 11/18/2019 at 9:43 AM, Enorama said:

1. Yes it does,  NHL is like AHL to VHL. AHL does also exist and its AHL for NHL

2. Mexico City for sure. They got good management

3. hmm i think Depth with 2 cups. Team performance > Personal Performance

4. 8 hours or more definetly. Also I don't nap

5. I'd like to see Washington to have a good season!

6. Gonna say Riga

On 11/18/2019 at 9:43 AM, Enorama said:

1) I'd like to think the NHL folded and the VHL is replacing it.
2) Don't follow VHLM at all, but I'll say Mexico City, their logo looks cooler.
3) tricky question tbh, depends on how deep the lines are for the depth player, I'd say HoF cuz racking up points is just fun.
4) Minimum 9 hours of sleep, in a sport like this it's very important to rest up between games.
5) I wouldn't say there's a glaring 1 new addition that will make the biggest change, all of them fulfill a role in within the team, and without 1 piece, other players might struggle.
6) Davos, lol.

Edited by GRZ

On 11/17/2019 at 11:43 PM, Enorama said:

1. I like to think so, as I like to think the career of players like Wayne Gretzky and Patrick Roy and others still happened, hard to say how the 2 leagues would co-exist or even how long they've both co-existed for but the NHL still happened in my opinion.

2. Gonna say Saskatoon.

3. I'd rather have a HOF career, I would like to be dedicated to one team for my whole career if possible, I would feel happy knowing I did everything I could for the team and the fans and that I won't bail on the team during a slump. I like the idea of being a franchise player and being someone the fans can always cheer for.

4.7-10 hours, important to get enough sleep, but not over sleep either.

5. forgive me since I'm still new, but I see other people are saying Graves so I'll go with Graves.

6. Davos from the looks of it.

On 11/18/2019 at 1:43 AM, Enorama said:

1. Does the NHL exist in VHL canon? How do you think the two leagues would interact? The NHL would be a FEEDER league to the VHL

2. Two VHLM teams are off to a roaring start at 7-1, which one of Saskatoon or Mexico City will maintain the momentum the longest? Hopefully Sask cause I honestly feel bad for their location on the map

3. Would you rather be a HoF player with 0 cups, or a depth player with 2 cups? HoF because you can win cups without any individual significance added

4. How much sleep should you be getting the night before a game? Are you a pre-game nap kind of guy? No fuck naps - I would like to say 8 hours but I probably get 6.

5. Which of our additions in the off-season will have the most impact? (Lesieur, Graves, Washington, Jerwa, Kidd, Hooper, and Buster are all rookies or FA) The added scoring (and depth) has been a huge part of the turnaround

6. Who's going to finish dead last in the EU this season? Hint: there's only one team with a lower team overall than us. lol davos

On 11/18/2019 at 7:05 AM, Enorama said:

1. We easily make it this year we have been playing well.

2. I think Prague finish 3rd in their division.

3. Spread it out you want depth in scoring.

4. I think without two goalies easily available per team it should stay at 8.

5. I am all about loyalty, if someone is nice to me I will be nice back.

6. Ask what they like about the league, how they fit in their previous team and what they bring to the table.

On 11/17/2019 at 2:05 PM, Enorama said:

1. I’d for sure say us and most likely Toronto. They seem to have a pretty decent team. 

2. I’d say it’s just a hot start is all. I’d say they end up 6th or maybe 5th.

3. Top 6 forwards. It would be more impressive if the top 6 can score rather than just one single line.

4. Absolutely. Even as a back up I believe you deserve to see your player in some type of action throughout the season. Of course it depends on the team’s situation on whether they’re winning a lot of games or not.

5. Boldly. If I feel a deserve more, I’ll ask. Otherwise it’s highly biased on performs and loyalty.

6. Well I’d go after whoever I see the most potential and would be the best fit for the team. Simply asking the right questions is all it takes too. 

I'd love to se us and New York making it, time for guard change in the division.

Similarly I'd rather have Prague quickly rise from expansion team to contender, but it seems unlikely, I have them near the bottom and Malmo seems strong enough to finish at the top.

Depends on the personnel, if we have just 3 actives then by all means give all the best minutes to the top line, if there are more though time to share the spoils.

It's weird and complicated rule already and without much sim transparency (e.g. no streaming, done only in background) I'd rather have it abolished altogether.

I try to give everybody a shot, but slowly getting to the phase in sim leagues where I no longer wait for too long and when I'm happy with the offer I just accept.

I did it once and it's not for me, tried talking with every draftee about their plans, activity, other league history, but it's far too burning out given time zone difference.

Season is well underway, here's some press conference questions to help get you through the mid-season droll:

1. Which four teams will miss playoffs this season? (Two in each conference)

2. Washington, Graves, or Block for rookie of the year?

3. Who is the second most valuable Dragon so far this season?

4. If we go by the actual definition of MVP, is there anyone else in the league who rivals Aaltonen in terms of value for their team's performance?

5. Did you play video games growing up? Which console/PC?

6. What's your guilty pleasure food?

Davos, Calgary, Prague and NY... We going all the way baby

Washington for sure, how many founding fathers do you know can put up those numbers?

Pekka no doubt, he stands on his head when we need it to keep us afloat..

4. If we go by the actual definition of MVP, is there anyone else in the league who rivals Aaltonen in terms of value for their team's performance?

Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen is definitely up in the running but he's backed up with Randoms.

Of course, I did! Was console until I was 12 when I realized that PC is masterrace.

I could probably survive eating tacos for the rest of my life and feel no shame about it.

Edited by Kekzkrieg

4 hours ago, Enorama said:

Season is well underway, here's some press conference questions to help get you through the mid-season droll:

1. I’d say New York and HC Davos

2. I feel all of them truly deserve a chance, but I’d put my money on Washington taking it.

3. Luciano Valentino. He’s been not only great for us on the defense end, but he’s been setting everybody for quality shots and goals.

4. John Madden for HC Davos. I mean he’s been the brightest spot for their team and isn’t doing too bad in terms of comparison to other stars.

5. Absolutely. Was a huge Nintendo fan. So the 64 was my baby. 

6. Cheesecake. Can eat an unhealthy amount without getting sick of it.