Prague Phantoms Press Conference

Jbeezy76

New Presser!

1. The VHL Draft is close and your team just traded the 4th overall pick in exchange for the 12th and 18th overall picks, how do you feel about the recent trade with the Bears?

2. Is there any prospects eligible in this year's draft that you think we should keep an eye on?

3. If the Phantoms had a head coach do you think he should've been fired after last season after missing the playoffs?

4.  Roll Fizzlebeef is retiring! Do you have anything to say to Fizz on the way out?

5. Where do you think our team needs to improve the most?

6. How do you feel about your team's expansion protection list. ?

3 hours ago, Seabass said:

New Presser!

1. The VHL Draft is close and your team just traded the 4th overall pick in exchange for the 12th and 18th overall picks, how do you feel about the recent trade with the Bears? 

To some it was a loss for us, but I think it was smart. We draft later but pick up two players that can fill positions of need. 

2. Is there any prospects eligible in this year's draft that you think we should keep an eye on?   
Definetley LeBastard. And Lamb. Two guys from the expansion team I think could be steals...

3. If the Phantoms had a head coach do you think he should've been fired after last season after missing the playoffs? Nah, we lost brick and it hurt us...

4.  Roll Fizzlebeef is retiring! Do you have anything to say to Fizz on the way out?

It’s been awesome man!

5. Where do you think our team needs to improve the most? Definitely Forwards...

im confident! 

Some Random ones :)

• How long does it take you to scroll through the VHL feed before giving up?
  • What VHL team do you just hate the most? why?
  • What’s your favourite thing to order in?
  • How many times does it take for you to listen to a song that you love before you actually hate it instead?
  • Do you ever stop and think about the number of butts in the world? Like. Woah. Am I right?
  • Have you ever started petting a really fluffy dog and just gotten very overwhelmed by how fluffy this dog is?

• How long does it take you to scroll through the VHL feed before giving up? - I mean, if nothing's going on, nothing's going on. If there's an argument or deep discussion going on about something I can't follow along with, I'll move along as well. 
  • What VHL team do you just hate the most? why? - It's always fun to beat mouthy teams like Calgary and Seattle!
  • What’s your favourite thing to order in? - Pizza is always the tops, especially when it's from a local shop run by an Italian family. Those are always the best pizzas in any town!
  • How many times does it take for you to listen to a song that you love before you actually hate it instead? - You'd have to listen to that song on repeat for many moons for that to happen, which can unfortunately happen quite easily if you're infatuated with a particular song. 
  • Do you ever stop and think about the number of butts in the world? Like. Woah. Am I right? - That's an awful lot of rump roast out there, you're not kidding.
  • Have you ever started petting a really fluffy dog and just gotten very overwhelmed by how fluffy this dog is? - IT'S SO FLUFFFFYYYYYYYYY!!

On 7/11/2020 at 10:10 AM, Seabass said:

New Presser!

Well, it would have been nice to stay a bit higher up but hopefully two is better than one. 

Alec Volchenkov @SirRupertBarnes looks to be a hard worker and he's a slick center, which we need. Also won the Cup with Saskatoon so he brings winning with him.

3. If the Phantoms had a head coach do you think he should've been fired after last season after missing the playoffs?

No, it was a weird season. The competition was tough and we did improve in some areas, just not quite enough to make it to the dance. He should have one more shot in my opinion.

@TacticalHammer it was a pleasure playing with you and watching you dazzle on the ice. Thanks for feeding me the puck! I wish you good success in your re-create. See you around!

5. Where do you think our team needs to improve the most?

We let in too many goals, plain and simple. That's not just the goalie's fault. Obviously, defense is a team priority and for some reason we just couldn't make it work last season.

Pretty good. I think we were able to protect most of the core but who ever does get picked will be missed. Everyone has had a big part to play and we're a tight team. It will suck whoever has to leave.

On 7/13/2020 at 1:35 AM, BladeMaiden said:

• How many times does it take for you to listen to a song that you love before you actually hate it instead?
  • Do you ever stop and think about the number of butts in the world? Like. Woah. Am I right?
  • Have you ever started petting a really fluffy dog and just gotten very overwhelmed by how fluffy this dog is?

- A couple minutes, my laptop likes to disconnect from the internet so I have to do a quick "get in get out" thing whenever I use it

-Considering I haven't played a game yet... every team other than Prague

- Pizza or Thai food

-Can't say I've ever done that tbh

- I think about butts all the time

- Imagine if there were 2 really fluffy dogs

On 7/13/2020 at 12:35 AM, BladeMaiden said:

1) Usually a few minutes

2) I don't hate any team.

3) Either any Asian food or fried food.

4) A few months.

5) That's a lot of butts.

6) Fluffy dogs are epic.

On 7/13/2020 at 1:35 AM, BladeMaiden said:

• How long does it take you to scroll through the VHL feed before giving up? Usually like 5-10 or so multiple times a day ?
  • What VHL team do you just hate the most? why? DC. They are our biggest expansion rival
  • What’s your favourite thing to order in? Chicken Parmigiana 
  • How many times does it take for you to listen to a song that you love before you actually hate it instead? A lot, I don’t really get sick of songs.
  • Do you ever stop and think about the number of butts in the world? Like. Woah. Am I right? I know, their will always be more ass cheeks in the world then people 
  • Have you ever started petting a really fluffy dog and just gotten very overwhelmed by how fluffy this dog is? All the time 

On 7/13/2020 at 12:35 AM, BladeMaiden said:

1-I can scroll on through in 5 secs.

2 - I don't hate any team in particular but I don't like the city of New York, too many damn people.

3 - As a french canadian im guilty of ordering my fair share of poutine.

4 - Takes me a while, maybe a year to dislike it but give it a few years and i'll return to it. 

5 - Yeah but not all of the butts are nice butts. Still that's a lot of butts, therefore lots of chairs out there too.

6 - Happens everyday at home! I don't know who gets more excited me or the dog.

I don't get to do my pressers in Sasky anymore, so...

1. Prague has started out 2-2, but it very easily could have been 4-0. What do the Phantoms need to do to come out on top in those games that got away?

2. The second line of Dagmar Havlova, Gary Tarantino and Ben McGirr has been absolutely phenomenal to start the season so far. How important is it for secondary scoring to keep the wins coming in for Prague?

3. After recording 372 hits in Season 70 in the VHLM, Thomas Landry II hasn't spent much time on the VHL leaderboard for hits, but that's changing this season. On top of 5 points in 4 games, his 19 hits are tied for 4th in the VHL. Are hits overrated, or is this a promising development for the Phantoms?

4. Team captains have not been announced yet, but who do you foresee wearing letters for Prague in Season 73?

5. Who's the player with the most unusual pre-game antics in the locker room?

6. After two seasons with the Minnesota Storm, rookie goaltender Woody McPine is with the Phantoms, patiently waiting for his first professional start. How much should fans expect to see from him this season?

9 minutes ago, Doomsday said:

1. Prague has started out 2-2, but it very easily could have been 4-0. What do the Phantoms need to do to come out on top in those games that got away?

We need to be more consistent and play with a sense of urgency. It's easy to say that it's early in the season and that we can turn things around, but it's better to start off on the right foot and go hard the entire way.

2. The second line of Dagmar Havlova, Gary Tarantino and Ben McGirr has been absolutely phenomenal to start the season so far. How important is it for secondary scoring to keep the wins coming in for Prague?

Goals are always hard to come by, so you take them wherever you can. Having a second line that can produce will be huge for our success.

3. After recording 372 hits in Season 70 in the VHLM, Thomas Landry II hasn't spent much time on the VHL leaderboard for hits, but that's changing this season. On top of 5 points in 4 games, his 19 hits are tied for 4th in the VHL. Are hits overrated, or is this a promising development for the Phantoms?

Stop stealing my hits ?

4. Team captains have not been announced yet, but who do you foresee wearing letters for Prague in Season 73?

We have some long term vets on the team that make the most sense for the role.

It's a copout to say everybody but Wolf Stansson Jr in particular is something else.

6. After two seasons with the Minnesota Storm, rookie goaltender Woody McPine is with the Phantoms, patiently waiting for his first professional start. How much should fans expect to see from him this season?

He's going to be huge for Prague's long term plans, though I think next season will be his true coming out party. He'll likely be used just to spell Ligriv early in the season, though I can see his workload ramping up in the second half once he's proven he can hang with the big boys and girls.

2 hours ago, Doomsday said:

1) I think the two close losses were just a case of early-season rust. Our guys won't let games like that slip as we progress through the year.

2) I'm really pleased to be getting some recognition and see things start to click. I worked really hard during the off-season and plan to keep producing for us.

3) Hits are not overrated. I'd rather we ware down our opponents the whole game. We want you to leave Prague sore.

4) I don't think so as it's only my second year here.

5) I honestly don't think anyone does anything unusual.

6) I'm really excited for our fans to see him. They should expect good things from him.

13 hours ago, Doomsday said:

Tighten up a little defensively and get the top line going and I think we’ll be fine! Hopefully one of our goalies can get hot.

2. The second line of Dagmar Havlova, Gary Tarantino and Ben McGirr has been absolutely phenomenal to start the season so far. How important is it for secondary scoring to keep the wins coming in for Prague?   Very, We’re a team that scores by committee so if we wanna win everyone will have to chip in.

Very Promising, Landry II Is going to be an absolute stud this year.

Honestly anyone is a good choice, I’d love to see Seabass get it again.

Probably McGirr, he eats a TV dinner before every game? And not even the good ones?, like the gross cheap Walmart ones.

6. After two seasons with the Minnesota Storm, rookie goaltender Woody McPine is with the Phantoms, patiently waiting for his first professional start. How much should fans expect to see from him this season? This year is a development year, give it a few for mcpine to get adjusted, and he’ll surely impress fans

On 7/22/2020 at 8:09 PM, Doomsday said:

1. Just keep playing our game. The wins will come

2. Its huge. Hockey is a team game and we need everyone to contribute

3. Very promising, gotta wear down the opponent. Plus I'm a big fan of physical games

4. Hmmm my guess that is definitely before the results came out would be Alex Pearson, Seabass Perrin, and Thomas Landry II

5. That Virgil Ligriv is an odd duck. Goalies, man...

6. Lots of energy off the ice, but a calm demeanor in the crease. I don't get rattled easy

On 7/22/2020 at 5:09 PM, Doomsday said:

Our special teams need to be better. Our PK has been pretty good but our power play which dominated last year has been minimally effective. 

Very important especially if they keep out-performing the first line. Depth wins Championships. We're just taking all the tough match-ups. ?

We need Landry to be at his beastly best in order for us to have success. Anything positive he can provide, goals, hits, etc., helps the team.

Since the captains have been decided already, I'm happy with the choices. Although, I think one great thing about our team is that anyone in that locker room has the capability and leadership to where a letter.

Goalies be crazy. Have to you seen the way Virgil @MMFLEX creepily stares at each of us before the game? It freaks us all out but whatever keeps him stopping the puck...

It's hard to be a rookie goalie in the VHL but entirely possible for them to have success. I'm excited to see how McPine handles the pressure and I think the fans will love what they see from him! @HearnNation67

On 7/22/2020 at 7:09 PM, Doomsday said:

I think we should just stick to our game plan and listen to our coaches instructions and we'll be just fine, These were all tight games that we could've won, lets not get too down on ourselves.

Every top team needs secondary scoring to survive. But, our second line has been our primary scoring line so far, so can you really call it secondary scoring? Either way we need goals to win and I don't really care who goes out to get them.

Well the Phantoms have always played a rough, physical brand of hockey. So I guess that ain't going to change anytime soon with Landry hitting everything that moves. Personally, I think we already have a fair share of players that can do the hitting already, I think Landry should focus more on his goal scoring ability rather than hitting everything since we're needing more goals than we do hits and lets face it, we don't have many players with that skillset. 

I hope WSJ gets a letter this year as to me hes always been a leader here. 

Pearson, dude usually comes in already a few beers in and immediately hits the sauna to sweat it all out before the game. Whatever, it seems to work for him.

McPine is going to be a future starter in this league if he keeps putting in all that hard work. He's a good kid and I think he'll surprise some fans once he starts getting some games under his belt which I think will be comming real soon. 

1. 17 games into the new season for Prague, the Phantoms sit at 9-8 with 18 points, right in the mix for a playoff spot. After some early struggles, Prague has rebounded nicely, what made that happen?

2. Last season, Prague had lots of overtime and shootout losses early in the season, but have yet to play a game beyond regulation. Do you see this as helpful or harmful to the Phantoms?

3. The second line continues to roll right along, with the first line beginning to show signs of life as well. What needs to happen for the first line to make a bigger impact?

4. Defenseman Wolf Stansson Jr currently leads the team with 18 points, do you think he finishes the season stop the team leaderboard?

5. Woody McPine continues to develop nicely, with Virgil Ligriv holding down the fort in net. How confident are you with Prague's goaltenders right now?

6. The Phantoms are currently slated to have three of their prospects reaching the VHL next season: C Andre Lebastard, RW Dan Baillie Jr and D Riley Knight Gee. LW Jack John has a good chance to make the bigs as well if he continues to develop well. Which one do you see making the biggest impact next season?

On 7/30/2020 at 7:56 AM, Doomsday said:

1. 17 games into the new season for Prague, the Phantoms sit at 9-8 with 18 points, right in the mix for a playoff spot. After some early struggles, Prague has rebounded nicely, what made that happen?

I think it just took us a few games to shake the rust off. Ligriv is looking sharper in net and defensively as a team we are playing better. Also, our power play has started to click again which is a big help.

2. Last season, Prague had lots of overtime and shootout losses early in the season, but have yet to play a game beyond regulation. Do you see this as helpful or harmful to the Phantoms?

If last season's struggles are any indication, it's probably helpful to us. The "loser points" have hurt us in the past.

3. The second line continues to roll right along, with the first line beginning to show signs of life as well. What needs to happen for the first line to make a bigger impact?

For some reason the first line has been inconsistent. I know I'm not playing as well as I'd like to be so I need to be better to help the line drive play more.

4. Defenseman Wolf Stansson Jr currently leads the team with 18 points, do you think he finishes the season stop the team leaderboard?

Wolf has always excelled at offense so there's a really good chance he leads us in scoring. The Phantoms seem to go as far as the d-corp goes.

5. Woody McPine continues to develop nicely, with Virgil Ligriv holding down the fort in net. How confident are you with Prague's goaltenders right now?

Pretty good. We're not the most elite unit but it's very solid. I think we definitely have playoff-caliber goaltending for sure!

6. The Phantoms are currently slated to have three of their prospects reaching the VHL next season: C Andre Lebastard, RW Dan Baillie Jr and D Riley Knight Gee. LW Jack John has a good chance to make the bigs as well if he continues to develop well. Which one do you see making the biggest impact next season?

I'm excited to see what all of them can do to be honest! From a position stand point, they will give us a lot of depth and have a chance to make an impact in their own way.

On 7/30/2020 at 9:56 AM, Doomsday said:

1) I think we finally shook off the off-season rust. We've been cruising lately.

2) It's helpful to us if we struggled so much last year.

3) I honestly think those guys need to just give it time. Happy our line in particular is playing so well, but I won't put it past our first line to finally get things going.

4) I'm coming for him ?

5) I'm pretty confident in the two of them.

6) Really excited to see Riley with us next year. He's leading the M in points, and I hope he brings that fire to Prague with him. 

New Press Q's!

1. Woody McPine has been forced into action twice in the last few games and has stopped 94% of the shots he's faced stopping 47 of 50. With his first VHL start imminent, what quality of McPine's is going to help him the most in his VHL career?

2. What game-day superstitions or routines do you follow?

3. Every Phantom has scored a game-winning goals except for defenseman Cody Smith.  How long until he pots a winner and how will he do it?

4. Which expansion team has surprised you the most so far?

5. Dagmar Havlova (20) and Gary Tarantino (19) are leading the team in goals with career seasons. Will one of them end up leading the team in goals at the end of the season?

6. Comment on the season thus far whether it's the Phantoms success, the new playoff seeding, a player who has surprised you, etc.

On 8/7/2020 at 4:06 AM, animal74 said:

New Press Q's!

1. Woody McPine has been forced into action twice in the last few games and has stopped 94% of the shots he's faced stopping 47 of 50. With his first VHL start imminent, what quality of McPine's is going to help him the most in his VHL career?

3. Every Phantom has scored a game-winning goals except for defenseman Cody Smith.  How long until he pots a winner and how will he do it?

5. Dagmar Havlova (20) and Gary Tarantino (19) are leading the team in goals with career seasons. Will one of them end up leading the team in goals at the end of the season?

6. Comment on the season thus far whether it's the Phantoms success, the new playoff seeding, a player who has surprised you, etc.

1. Rebound control and hand speed have worked for me so far!

2. Getting in the zone with music and dressing the same order each game

3. Let's say within the next 4 games and with a huge one-timer

4. Probably Los Angeles with their close to .500 record

5. Yep, gonna go with Dagmar

6. Gary Tarantino is crushing it lately, already a career high in goals and points, with just over a point per game

New Press Q's!

1. Woody McPine has been forced into action twice in the last few games and has stopped 94% of the shots he's faced stopping 47 of 50. With his first VHL start imminent, what quality of McPine's is going to help him the most in his VHL career

He’s gonna be an absolute stud. Prauge has found their future goalie.

I always eat a chicken Parm before every game

Overtime breakaway. Last game of the season.

Honestly La. Gunnar is killing it.

Definetley, but I have to pick up the pace ;)

I need to improve, My players age has really affected his game and I need to be more active.

On 8/7/2020 at 3:06 AM, animal74 said:

New Press Q's!

1) Definitely his confidence. Once he gets hot you're not getting much by him.

2) I call my mom before every game.

3) Within the next 20 games on a shot from the point.

4) Definitely LA.

5) Yes, yes I will.

6) Been really pleased with how I've been playing. Regardless I'm happy with the boys for how well we've been doing, we have a good group and we're planning to make some more noise.

1. Woody McPine has been forced into action twice in the last few games and has stopped 94% of the shots he's faced stopping 47 of 50. With his first VHL start imminent, what quality of McPine's is going to help him the most in his VHL career? - Resiliency. This is a guy that has had to battle for everything in his career. Setbacks are only going to fuel Woody, and he sure isn't going to stop fighting now! He's worked hard for this opportunity, and we're going to give him everything we've got!

2. What game-day superstitions or routines do you follow? - Gotta lace the skates the same way, tape up the stick the same way... I guess I find a different way to rib Ondrej before each game, so I add some variety before each game. *chuckles*

3. Every Phantom has scored a game-winning goals except for defenseman Cody Smith.  How long until he pots a winner and how will he do it? - Cody doesn't do anything conventionally, so I wouldn't be surprised to see his come off of shooting it off of a player and in, or getting the credit for an own goal. Pretty much anything beyond him taking a shot and scoring a goal. *laughs*

4. Which expansion team has surprised you the most so far? - Los Angeles has certainly surprised a lot of people, there's a real chance that they could sneak into the playoffs. 

5. Dagmar Havlova (20) and Gary Tarantino (19) are leading the team in goals with career seasons. Will one of them end up leading the team in goals at the end of the season? - I wouldn't be surprised to see either of them do it, they've seemingly been hot all season. One of the rest of us would really need to wake up for it to be anyone else. 

6. Comment on the season thus far whether it's the Phantoms success, the new playoff seeding, a player who has surprised you, etc. - The second line's success has been such a huge boost to the Phantoms this year and it's awesome to see guys that have been overlooked for so long getting their due. Seeing Woody McPine not only make that first VHL appearance, but play so we'll... it's definitely the feel-good story of the season for us. You can't help but root for him, and it's awesome to have him on our side!

New Press Conference!

1. We are 7-3 in our last 10 games. What will our record be in our next 10 games?

2. Dagmar Havlova and Gary Tarantino lead the team with 2 hat tricks each. Who will be the next Phantom to score a hat trick?

3. Who has the worst smelling gym bag on the team?

4. The boys are going out for wings. What's your flavour of choice?

5. What do you think we should be looking to add at the trade deadline if anything?

6. What was your first live hockey game experience?