Crawford Goes Number One

AW13

Crawford Goes Number One

It was a crazy lead up to the draft for Solomon Crawford wondering where he would be picked up in the Season 6 VHLM Dispersal Draft, seeing him mocked in the first round to different teams that were in need of goaltending help. There were a ton of options on where Crawford could have gone but no way did he ever expect to go first overall to Mexico City who acquired the pick. Goalies or good goalies at least, unlike in the VHL, are few and far between in the VHLM and having one that a team can count on to keep pucks out of the net is a huge advantage. Looking at most teams last season that did poorly, they usually suffered from having an inactive goalie, Vegas being one of those before bringing in Crawford. Solomon Crawford undoubtedly has the most potential out of any of the goalies that were in the draft and for that reason he was the first one off the board.

"This is just amazing, I had no idea I would go first overall but I put in a ton of work to get to this point and will make Mexico City and their fans proud. Being an African-American playing in a sport where I am a huge minority is a tough thing, I deal with a lot that is thrown at me, but I am happy to be recognized like this. I will continue my hard work and show that hockey is a sport for everybody and I think playing in a city like Mexico City, which is also not known for hockey can be a great part of that. Getting these Mexican kids excited about the sport and breeding a new generation of Mexican internationals, the same with how I hope to influence young African-Americans to give the sport a shot as well and get hockey going for every kind of person, no matter what they look like."