Ben Storm Biography - Australia's Thunder [2/2]

Early life

Ben Storm was born in the Royal Melbourne Hospital in Australia surrounded by his close family notably his mother Charlotte and Tony his father. Growing in Melbourne’s suburbs Ben was a mischievous kid always full of energy and joy. Ben spent a lot of time on his bike riding through Melbourne streets with his friends looking for the next adventure. During primary school Ben did what every Australian boy does, play cricket and footie, (Australian Rules Football for the none Australians reading). Ben and his mates spent countless school lunches playing football until they could join their Sunday club matches; Ben excelled at these sports a natural athlete quickly proving himself to be above the age competition but one problem emerged Ben was phenomenal at AFL but he never loved it.

High School – The Beginning

In Australia AFL is the biggest sport, it’s the centre of Australia’s universe and Ben was a star, leading his high school to the national championship and his club had the best record in Victoria.  While playing in a routine training scrimmage Ben went up for a signature high-flying mark as normal, but things went horribly wrong as a teammate knocked his leg out from under him. Ben fell hand on his right leg, a sickening snap came from as teammates ran over surrounding Ben on the grassy oval, Ben lied on the ground an intense radiating pain from his leg. Coaches came over with stretcher and took Ben to the emergency department. It wasn’t long until everyone knew Ben had torn his ACL.

mark.thumb.jpg.b5734e8f71bc2363f7bd4f1f40bba9ad.jpg

Ben is a dedicated athlete he wanted to return to the field in the best form of his life, Ben spent countless hours in the gym, on one of these hours in the early morning the clerk watched the tv mounted on the wall, engrossed on the game on screen. Ben looked over to see what the fuss was about, on the bright screen appeared the VHL logo as players danced across the ice. Ben knew Ice Hockey was a sport obviously, but he hadn’t seen it played, he was instantly memorised players glided over the ice the puck whizzing in all direction Ben was instantly hooked he knew that once he was healthy, he

wanted to play ice hockey at the highest level.

High School – The Return

The time came and Ben returned to sport just as explosive as ever, try as he might ice hockey isn’t a widely available sport in Australia, his only option was playing field hockey. Ben quickly too a handle to the sport Ben used his natural athletics to excel at field hockey quickly raising is renown at a state level Ben was selected to the Victorian State team. It was at this national competition that Ben met the man that would change his life. After Ben lead the Victorian team to a victory over the South Australian , he was approached by an old man wearing a green jumpsuit a gold kangaroo emblazed on it “Ben my name is Oliver Rose, I’m the coach of the Australian Junior National Team, and I’m the chairman of the Melbourne Victory Ice Hockey league, I am wondering if you would be interested in joining a team?”. Ben spent the last two years of high school doing two things, training and skating. Ben’s high school career came to an end as he hopped aboard a flight to joining his Melbourne Victory Hockey league team or commonly referred to MVHL

One Year From Draft- MVHL Journey

After finishing high school Ben became a pro MVHL player developing into a well-rounded scorer as Ben became one of the best players in the MVHL. Things were going so well it was only a certain amount of time until things went wrong. Ben played an amazing season in the MVHL leading his team to the best record in the league and the Rookie of the year award. Looking into the playoffs as the top seed people were confident that Ben would deliver. But at this time tragedy struck Ben’s father passed away from pancreatic cancer. Ben racked with emotion struggled to find the motivation to play but Ben took the ice anyway. It was clear things weren’t right as Ben looked sluggish with his play. Late in the third quarter Ben was checked by the opposing player when Ben got up, he left the ice and didn’t return. Ben’s team lost the game in a blowout, the crowd that once adored him now booed him.

sad.thumb.jpg.0191c5f9af1439ca1d09255cfcd4dfda.jpg

Headlines the next day read: “Australian prince of the ice became the latest disaster”, “Reported Storm has turned into more of a light breeze”. This wasn’t necessarily true but that didn’t matter in the media it had already spread like wild fire. Storm was at a loss more alone than ever before. His contract had run out and all this VHML hype had puttered out. At a loss Ben reached for his phone to search for his new VHML contract when he received a call. This call was from saved number, Oliver Rose reached out to help when Storm was lost again.

“Good Morning Ben, glad I could get a hold of you I’m calling to offer you a spot on the Australian National Junior Ice Hockey team I will be coaching this winter, would you be interested?”

“Are you serious? Yes, I’m interested!”

“Excellent you’re one the best junior players in the world right now and you are going to show the world”

Show it Ben did, before the tournament Ben played in three friendly matches against continual opponents. Every place he went he was slammed with boos; headlines smeared his character before he got on the ice. The papers back home wrote smearing reports questing his effort, you see that was the only thing you could question about Ben because his talent was obvious. Ben was lighting up the international opponents leading to Australia to an undefeated record, The Australian Junior National team moved into the top ten in power rankings for the first time in history.

2025906565_ICICEBABY.png.ec9b5c2db9c4553a70f1529c6ec2adf9.png

This brings Ben to now patiently waiting to be drafted.  Ben had two goals be the best player in the VHML and bring Australia to glory. But most importantly he wanted to earn the love of his homeland again. 

Review:

Great Bio!

Wonderful use of overcoming adversity, through both Ben's injury, and the death of his father. Leaves the reader wondering what happens next in Ben's career, will he regain the love and respect of his countrymen. 

Only critique is to watch for grammar, and sentence structure. Some words are missing in places and sentences run on a little. But with a long post like this, it happens!

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Ben Storm Biography - Australia's Thunder [1/2]

Review: 

-The Bio itself was good. Grammatically in some spots it’s a little messy. I am no expert in grammar either but I did notice the long running sentences throughout.

-Great use of photos and bold headlines. 

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Ben Storm Biography - Australia's Thunder [2/2]