Unlinking GM Players and Removing Project Player 2

Beketov

• Commissioner

Unlinking GM Players

Since the VHL's very first season GM's have always had their player linked to their team. This meant that they automatically went to that GM's team instead of entering the draft and had complicated rules regarding how they could be traded, how GM changes were made, etc. This was made only worse when project player 2 was initiated and then kept around for GM's only. But not any more. As of now GM players are no longer a thing!

So what does this mean exactly? Obviously GM's can still have players however GM is becoming like every other position in the league and will be only a job, unrelated to a player. When GM's create players they will enter the draft like any other player and be trade-able like any other player. This means when GM jobs change hands nothing needs to be changed in regards to players, a new member simply takes over the team.

For the most part this cleans up rules regarding GM's and their own players with a few minor exceptions:

1. GM's may draft their own player if they so choose and that player may stay with the team as long as they choose. However GM's found to be manipulating their player's draft stock in order to secure him for their team will be punished. This could include, but is not limited to, the player going to FA immediately and the GM being removed from their position. An example of draft stock manipulation would be choosing to not claim any TPE until after the draft in order to appear worse than they are or threatening to hold out if they are drafted by any other team.

2. GM's may not sign their own player via Free Agency. This is simply to avoid people being drafted by another team and inevitably jumping ship to their own after 3 seasons.

Neither of these limitations are new, they have always been the case with GM's however they seem necessary to keep around. They will be the only limitations though. GM's who acquire their own players can trade them freely, the players can play for whatever team they'd like, and they will no longer be excluded from the draft.

These limitations do, however, offer some extra limits to the careers GM's can have with their players. For example, what if they did in fact want to spend 8 full seasons on their own team? For that we have added a minor caveat. If a GM so chooses they may "claim" their player by giving up a 1st round pick int he same draft as their player. This will block other GM's from choosing the player in the draft. If a GM does not have a first round pick in the draft their player resides they may not claim their player. In addition, claiming a player still does not link that player to the team. They may still be traded or go to FA as they normally would be allowed to do. All it affects is the draft itself.

Project Player 2's Full Removal

With GM's being able to be more or less free with their players the extra benefit they receive to have a "normal career", which is to say the final phases of project player 2, are no longer necessary. It was left in place to allow GM's the freedom to move around with their players like anyone else rather than being tied to their own franchise. However with now 12 teams in the league these 2nd players account for an entire team worth of extra roster spots that are being taken up by people who have other players already. In addition there has been a trend of GM's acquiring both their own players which was never the intention of keeping PP2 around.

So, with the removal of GM players we will also be removing project player 2 completely. No one, moving forward, will be allowed to update two players simultaneously.

Implementing These Changes

Obviously these changes can't be implemented overnight. With 12 GM's currently accounting for 24 players (half of which are linked to teams) there is simply no clean way to do this quickly. For that reason all current players controlled by GM's shall be grandfathered in under the old regulations. This means nothing will change immediately but once a GM retires one of their players, they will not be allowed to create a new player until their other player retires. At that time they may take the carryover from whichever player had more TPE and create their new unlinked player. 

Just as an example I’ll use @Quik who’s GM player is Bailey, his older player. When Bailey retires ACL is still around so Quik can’t make another player until ACL retires, regardless of the fact that his GM player is now gone. ACL is treated as a regular player and a regular asset, to be traded or whatnot however Quik pleases with the remaining exception of FA in place if he leaves Helsinki. Upon ACL’s retirement Quik can re-create using whichever carryover amount (Bailey’s or ACL’s) is higher. This new player has the above mentioned 2 limitations but no others. He does not go directly to Helsinki but instead to the draft where he is treated as a regular prospect unless otherwise paid for and claimed via a first round pick.

• Commissioner
27 minutes ago, STZ said:

So basically Player 2 is out and now GMs will just pay the 1st Round pick to get their player?

If they want their own player yes. They could be in the middle of a rebuild or something when their player is coming up and would rather trade for them later or just not get them at all. The point is they have options.

16 minutes ago, Beketov said:

If they want their own player yes. They could be in the middle of a rebuild or something when their player is coming up and would rather trade for them later or just not get them at all. The point is they have options.

Just curious, the wording is "a" first round pick then? So hypothetically, a team gets #1 in the lottery, trades down for #3 and #12 then uses #12 to claim the GM's player, and that's above board?

I do like this change a lot, although I am interested in the answer to CIA's query as that's the first thing that came to my mind as well.

Also, is there a point at which a GM has to claim their player by? E.g. Do they have to do that upon creation or (providing they have a first) are they free to claim their player at whatever point prior to the draft?

• Commissioner
34 minutes ago, CowboyinAmerica said:

Just curious, the wording is "a" first round pick then? So hypothetically, a team gets #1 in the lottery, trades down for #3 and #12 then uses #12 to claim the GM's player, and that's above board?

16 minutes ago, Tagger said:

Also, is there a point at which a GM has to claim their player by? E.g. Do they have to do that upon creation or (providing they have a first) are they free to claim their player at whatever point prior to the draft?

The exact details of the claim are still being discussed. That particular caveat was added after the others in response to GM concerns so we haven’t flushed out every detail of it. We’ll get it sorted out before it needs to come up which will

be the S70 draft.

• Senior Admin
20 minutes ago, Tagger said:

I do like this change a lot, although I am interested in the answer to CIA's query as that's the first thing that came to my mind as well.

I had initially suggested that we somehow set the price where its like one good 1st, one decent 1st and second, ect..but it was pointed out that would be pretty arbitrary and hard to implement, which I can't argue with. 

I think potentially the most fair way to make sure it has some value would be to set a maximum line somewhere (ie the pick has to be 7th overall or better kind of thing).  

Some of the finer points likely still need to be thought over, i think we just wanted get out ahead of any GMs recreating. 

• Commissioner
4 minutes ago, ShawnGlade said:

So I was officially the first GM to make the jump to one player? Cool.......i guess

eye roll.gif

You act as if you didn’t know about this over a week in advance.

• Commissioner
2 minutes ago, Beaviss said:

Wait is this going into effect this draft?

@Beketov

Forgot your guy was in this draft tbh. It doesn’t apply to any player created before the GM’s were notified of it. Glade Jr. would be the first.

2 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Forgot your guy was in this draft tbh. It doesn’t apply to any player created before the GM’s were notified of it. Glade Jr. would be the first.

ok good since i just traded my first round pick.... I got spooked.

I'm happy to see this change. I honestly didnt know some guys could rock out 2 players at a time taking up a lot of the leagues roster spots. That shouldnt of been a thing in the first place as that's bullshit and this rule change is definitely for the better of the league.

3 minutes ago, Sebster03 said:

I'm happy to see this change. I honestly didnt know some guys could rock out 2 players at a time taking up a lot of the leagues roster spots. That shouldnt of been a thing in the first place as that's bullshit and this rule change is definitely for the better of the league.

It was originally in place as a sort of incentive for people to want to GM while still having a separate career from their team. Now that people are lining up for GM spots regardless, there isn't a use for it anymore.

It's also a ginormous conflict of interest for the GM, so I'm glad it's gone. 

Active members should never have to compete with a GM's second player for a position. Further, GM players should not have priority in the lineup over active users that are not GMs. 

Motzaburger's Hierarchy of Play:

Actives (no job) > GM players > Welfare actives > inactives.

Some exceptions obviously exist and this would, like every other system, never be perfect

Edited by Motzaburger

11 hours ago, Enorama said:

It was originally in place as a sort of incentive for people to want to GM while still having a separate career from their team. Now that people are lining up for GM spots regardless, there isn't a use for it anymore.

I understand that, I just would've thought you guys had come to this conclusion where your disconnecting player careers from gm careers sooner rather than go through that player 2 phase at all.  I just dont think it was a good idea from the get go.

But, it doesn't really matter now how we got here as long  as everything figured itself out in the end. :)

Edited by Sebster03

Glad Evgeni is my last player I dunno i dont agree with making GMs pay for there players. Especially if we are gunna implement a point where they have to he drafted by there team. This effectively can cripple a franchise but hey everyone else likes it. An i wont be applying for GM again anyways so doesnt effect me