Houston Holding On As Stretch Run Approaches [1/2]

MWHazard

latest?cb=20140721034242

Howe Brothers Debut to Mixed Reviews; Houston Holding Onto Top Spot

“They’re hacks.” That’s what one Houston Bulls fan said to a KHOU 11 reporter after a recent shootout loss to basement dwellers Ottawa Lynx. The Bulls controlled the run of play for the entire game, but Ottawa prevailed in what has been an interesting run of games for the Bulls. Houston made waves at the trade deadline by signing six free agents, all brothers. The Howe siblings reportedly all grew up in a research station on McMurdo Sound, Antarctica, learning to play hockey with very limited opportunity to skate due to harsh conditions.

The Howe brothers look very inexperienced in high level competition, though their elite size and potential chemistry prompted the Bulls to sign the entire set, including the only goalie among them, Haz Howe. Howe was in net for the Bulls’ surprising loss against the Lynx- his first professional start. Howe made just 11 saves on 14 shots, and stopped only one of three shootout attempts. The Bulls coaching staff apparently decided to give regular netminder Sean McGee extra rest, as Howe was in net once more in a rematch with the Lynx. Howe would face just 12 shots all night as the Bulls coasted to a 4-1 victory.

Only Mo Howe, a defenseman, has registered a point in the “Howe era”, which admittedly has only been five games or so. Only Mo Howe has seen the ice in all five of those games, with the other Howe skaters playing in three. The Howe brothers have managed to rack up 10 penalty minutes and 17 hits in those three games, leading to some Bulls fans to question whether the Antarctic sextet simply represented a cheap way to flesh out the bottom half of the Houston roster. The Bulls are on the title hunt this season, and many were hoping for the Houston front office to make a splash. It remains to be seen Howe (Editor’s Note: my most sincere apologies) much they’ve improved their chances at a championship.

The Bulls have the stingiest defense in the league after 51 games played, and hold a four point lead over Minnesota for the top spot in the VHLM. With 21 games remaining in the 72-game regular season, the Bulls will need to find the net more consistently if they’re to hang onto their position. Despite their record, Houston is only 7th in goals scored, and some around the league believe Las Vegas’s dynamic duo of Jeff Tates and Benny Graves could make the difference in a potential playoff matchup. Houston has two games remaining against Las Vegas this season amidst what should be a thrilling run-in to the playoffs. Keep an eye on whether the new additions can provide something more than the general goonery they’ve displayed thus far. If Houston can develop some depth scoring, it would go a long way toward cementing their status as a title favorite. 

It’s sometimes said that playoff goals come from unexpected sources, as the physical play that often defines elimination formats can sometimes wash out all but the most elite offensive threats. It would certainly be unexpected for one or more of the man-children Houston has brought in to be a playoff hero, but stranger things have happened.

Review: I'm loving the story of the Howe brothers. I can't wait to read more about them. I really enjoyed the branding of the article. The small editor notes are super funny and a great touch. I don't think there's really anything I'd change in this. Great work!

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Houston Holding On As Stretch Run Approaches [1/2]