Kris Rice - Journal Entry #4

Ricer13

Welcome Back!

Welcome back everyone! It has been a few weeks since I have touched base with everyone on how my season has been going. I took some time to try my hand at reporting. if you haven't checked it out yet, I wrote a midseason breakdown on the Ottawa Lynx. It breaks down where they are at in the standings and what has led them to this point at the midseason. At the end of the regular season i will selecting another VHLM team to break down how their season went. I am open to fan suggestions as to which team they would love to learn more about. After the playoffs I plan on doing another breakdown of the championship team, so look forward to another massive breakdown on the Mississauga hounds hahaha! Now its time to focus on the task at hand, this week I will be touching base on how the Mississauga Hounds are doing and of course breaking down my performance as of late. The breakdown of myself will include three categories and any praise or criticism I have for different areas of my game.

The Hounds

It was 34 games into the season since the last time I checked in on the Hounds. The Mississauga Hounds have now finished 57 games and are currently sitting fifth place in the standings. With a record of 34-20-3 the Hounds have had an very hot and cold second half of the season.  They have broken out on several win streaks but as soon as it looks like they are about to get hot they start off on a losing streak. Finding the consistency in their game during the second half of the season has been a struggle for the hounds and is something they are going to need to fix if they want to do some damage come playoff time. 

The Hounds are currently being led by a few familiar names as Balentine Kidd and Jerry Wang still lead the team on the offensive side of the ice. Kidd currently holds the team scoring title with 85 points in 57 games, Wang sits only 1 point behind him. Another stand out for the Hounds is Brock Louth on the back end who currently leads all defenseman on the Hounds in goals (30), points (75) , hits (121) and blocked shots (100). Not only does he lead the Hounds in points but leads the entire VHLM in points for defenseman. Another thing to note on is that there have been a lot of new faces added to the team through trades and waivers. A few of these players who include Aleksandra Olsen on the back end, Mikko Lahtinen up front and Aleksandr Aleksandrov in goal. All of our new additions have had a positive impact on this roster at some point since being added to the roster. I think the team gelling together has had its ups and downs since then but I have no doubt the Hounds will have it all figured out before the playoffs begin.

Kris Rice

Offense

My offensive game has been a lot like the Hounds second half of the season, hot and cold. Though my numbers have been steadily increasing throughout the season, with only 23 points in 57 games this tells me I still have a lot of work to do. I have been given the chances to play with top players such as Kidd and Louth but have yet to really grasp the chance to provide more offensively. I have 8 goals and 15 assists so far this season. It is nice to see I am finally starting to provide more of the playmaking ability that I have claimed to have had in the past. throughout the season I will continue to improve on this part of my game so come playoff time I can assist our team in becoming a dominant force in the offensive zone.

Defense

This is the one aspect of my game I take the most pride in. At the beginning of the season I was sitting pretty consistently at a minus ten rating. As I have had a chance to work on my defensive game throughout the season I have now been in the positives for over half of the season. I am currently sitting at a plus five rating and it only seems to be getting better. This is one aspect of my game ill never stop working on. Defense wins championships and that is the goal at the end of the day.

Physicality

This aspect of the game is something I never thought I would find when I was a junior player. I always shied away from the physical side of the game and relied solely on my skill and elusiveness to get away from opponents checks. Since settling into a more defensive role this season I slowly adapted to becoming a more physical presence on our team. I am currently second on the team in hits with 90. I currently only trail Brock Louth who has 121 hits so far this season. While having 90 hits and maintaining my discipline has been extremely impressive and important for our teams success. 

Conclusion

To conclude I want to mention how I am going to improve over the final stretch of the season. I am going to be putting a little more focus on my playmaking ability and improving in the offensive zone. When it comes to the playoffs we are going to need more secondary scoring as we go through the grind. Of course I wont let this affect how I play in my own end of the ice. 

Thanks for stopping in this week to see how things are going. As the seasons roll on and I start writing more material outside of these journal entries I am always open to criticism and ideas of different things I could be doing to improve not only on the ice but off the ice as well with my writing. Until next time.. Go Hounds!

Word Count: 1002

Two weeks of Media spots

Edited by Krice13

1 hour ago, Krice13 said:

Wouldn’t let me add photos btw

First:

Photos aren't a requirement for media spots, they're just a suggestion. Most things I write don't include photos and nobody cares. So it looks nice, but don't worry about needing it.

Second:

If you do want to add photos, the forum only lets you upload a certain (small) amount of images. There's probably a simple explanation as to why, but I don't know it. After you've used up that space, the best way to include images is as follows:

-Create an Imgur account if you don't have one.

-Upload the image you'd like to Imgur.

-Once that's done, right click on the image and click "copy image address" from the options it gives you. Once you go back to the forum and hit paste, the image will automatically show up and replace the link (note: this ONLY happens with a "copy image address." A couple other similar-looking options will show up, but don't use those as they won't work).

Hope this helps!

9 minutes ago, GustavMattias said:

First:

Photos aren't a requirement for media spots, they're just a suggestion. Most things I write don't include photos and nobody cares. So it looks nice, but don't worry about needing it.

Second:

If you do want to add photos, the forum only lets you upload a certain (small) amount of images. There's probably a simple explanation as to why, but I don't know it. After you've used up that space, the best way to include images is as follows:

-Create an Imgur account if you don't have one.

-Upload the image you'd like to Imgur.

-Once that's done, right click on the image and click "copy image address" from the options it gives you. Once you go back to the forum and hit paste, the image will automatically show up and replace the link (note: this ONLY happens with a "copy image address." A couple other similar-looking options will show up, but don't use those as they won't work).

Hope this helps!

Okay, I haven’t had issues adding them before but I wonder if it’s because this media spot is double the size of my previous ones therefor taking up the space I normally would have used for photos.

11 minutes ago, Krice13 said:

Okay, I haven’t had issues adding them before but I wonder if it’s because this media spot is double the size of my previous ones therefor taking up the space I normally would have used for photos.

Unfortunately, photo storage piles up over time. If I upload a 1 MB image, that's 1 MB off my photo storage--not just in that post, but overall.

There's no real way around it, other than using Imgur.

• 2 weeks later...