Random things for theme week

Acydburn

• Commissioner

For media week we have to write about the history of the league. I’m not that great at history so I’ll probably just write random things that i’ve come across in my research. For instance, until this point I had never heard of the Vasteras IK (have heard about Vasteras Iron Eagles). In Which IK won the cup in season 1 and Iron Eagles won in 26. There also aren’t very many references to the Avangard Havoc who won the cup in season 7. Another that you hear murmurs about are the Cologne Express who won the cup in 42. Something else that stood out was at the very beginning of the VHL, it seemed as if Scotty Campbell was always on the team that won the cup. Also the lines we’re a bit skewed. For instance the first cup wins the Vasterars IK had only one forward line but defensive lines. That goes against our 6-4-1 or sometimes 9-4-1 in the VHL or the 9-6-2 in the VHLM. Things were a lot different back then. I was also surprised to see a lot of teams going back to back winning cups, I guess this makes sense since the league was a lot smaller back then so the top players would make a bigger impact. 

Back to back winners: 

Toronto Legion: 65,64 50,49,48 Won three in a row!

Riga Reign: 58,57

Helsinki Titans: 55,54 46,45

Calgary Wranglers: 19,18

Davos: 25,24

Seattle Bears: 5,4

New York Americans: 53,52

Some teams haven’t won a championships:

Malmo Nighthawks, Moscow Menace, D.C. Dragons, Prague Phantoms.

These are all expansion teams within the past couple of seasons so it would make sense as to why they haven’t won yet.   

Another surprise was that the Davos Dynamos have won the cup 9 times, 61, 38, 36, 31, 25, 24, 20, 13, 11. I guess this means that the franchise can actually win a championship. The most winningest franchise are the Helsinki Titans who have won 66,60, 55, 54, 46, 45, 34, 27, 22, 15, 6. It seems like the team that has won the cup the leagues are the Vancouver Wolves(Meute) they won in 67, 56, 35. For a team that has been around for a bit of time you would think that would have won a few more times. 

A lot teams have about the same number of wins. Toronto with 9, Riga with 8, Helsinki with 11, Calgary with 9, Davos with 9, Seattle with 7, New York Americans with 7. We should expect to see a lot of these numbers rise. Some of the “older” expansion teams (Moscow, Malmo) may be winning some cups coming up pretty soon. 

Something cool that came out of this theme week was that I now know a couple of answers for Victors Trivia questions. I believe the only team that’s won 3 years in a row is Toronto and I believe was a question at some point last season.