S62 Redraft

McWolf

For this theme week, I'm going to talk about the first thing I remember happening when I joined about a year ago. I joined on August 6, 2018, on the morning of the S62 Entry Draft. I can recall it happening on my first day, but I can't say I really remember how it went down, so I'll go through it again, and see what the 1st round should have looked like with 20/20 hindsight.

Original Draft Board: https://vhlportal.com/teams/drafts/1

1. :rig: Rauno Palo @jRuutu
4th pick (QUE) | 276 TPE at draft | 1331 TPE today

Palo was originally selected by the then-Quebec City Meute with the 4th pick, the franchise with whom he played the first 6 seasons and a half of his career. After starting his career as more of a defensive-minded forward, Palo exploded in S67, when he scored 110 points, and brought the Mike Szatkowski, the Alexander Beketov, the Scotty Campbell, the Brett Slobodzian and the Continental Cup home. He's the player from this draft class that enjoyed the most personal success so far in his career, so it would have made sense for Riga to get him with the first pick overall.

2. :sea: Maxim Kovalchuk @Banackock
2nd pick (SEA) | 203 TPE at draft | 1083 TPE today

Kovalchuk was drafted 2nd overall in S62 and, if the draft happened again today, I'm 100% positive Bana would do the same move and draft himself. He has no reason not to, given how he has absolute control over this player, with no risk of him asking for a trade or leaving for free agency at any point in his career. The defenseman has the stats and the hardware to back the selection up, too. He very well could have been named the league's top rookie in S62 if it wasn't for Bana's other rookie scoring 150 points, if I remember correctly, and scored at an over-ppg rate until he moved from defense to center to help the team. He's also the only defenseman not named Mats Johnsson with a Wylde, a Valiq and a Labatte trophy to his name. The Wylde and the Valiq have only been around since S59, but it's still impressive for a modern defenseman when you're alone in a category with MJ.

3. :tor: Jake Davis @Josh
10th pick (TOR) | 186 TPE at draft | 1235 TPE today

This was a weird pick to re-do. I almost gave the team Johnny Havenk Carison. He was a reach back then, and he would look like an even bigger one now, but he was clutch in the S65 playoffs and helped Toronto win a second Continental Cup in as many years. But I figured, if they were able to do it with JHC, they could have done it with basically any backup-level goaltender, so it would probably make more sense for them to draft a high TPE player with better value. Davis is the guy here. He lacks the hardware the two men above him got, but he just barely missed them. He has career highs of 45 goals, 104 points and 201 hits. He was actually never below ppg except for a 70-point rookie season. He's a consistent sharpshooting power forward, and a staple of many VHFL teams since he entered the league.

4. :que: Shawn Glade @ShawnGlade
11th pick (RIG) | 145 TPE at draft | 1073 TPE today

Glade was originally drafted in the second round by the Reign, with who he won a Cup as a depth player in S63. He was later traded to Vancouver, where he won a second Cup, this time as a key member of the team, so it's funny that the re-draft puts him straight with the Wolves. Glade has been one of the best two-way defensemen in the league in the last couple of seasons. He scored over 70 points thrice, and only failed to block 100 shots once in 6 VHL seasons. Like Davis before him, personal awards have eluded him. The main reason he ranks behind Davis here is the fact that, while his best seasons were on par with the forward's, his worse seasons have been fairly bad.

5. :que: Dan Montgomery @BarzalGoat
6th pick (HSK) | 189 TPE at draft | 679 TPE today

It's actually pretty funny that a player that's been barely active in the later half of his career actually moved up in this re-draft. STHS works in mysterious ways, sometimes (always). Montgomery had a honest start to his career, but eventually moved from forward to defense and blew up, claiming the S66 Alexander Valiq Trophy as his own, thanks to a career high (again, as a defenseman) of 91 points. He has calmed down a bit since then, but he's still a reliable defenseman for the perpentually contending Titans.

6. :rig: Leph Twinger @DollarAndADream
1st pick (RIG) | 319 TPE at draft | 1228 TPE today

Oh, what could have been. Sometimes STHS just won't work your way, for some reason. After 133 points in his final VHLM season and 116 in his rookie VHL season, Twinger never scored over 75 points again in a season. He even failed to reach the 50-point mark once, in S67. Since then, he moved from his eponymous position to defense, to try and shake things off, and the results have been good in his first season, though we can all agree it's a bit too late to salvage the disappointment that was his whole career up to this point. Nothing seems particularly off about the guy; he's 3rd in TPE in this whole class, his build was a very regular shoot-first power forward build that has proved to work again and again with other players. Maybe Simon T. really dislikes pun and he gave bad karma to the player? We'll never know.

7. :hel: Ryuu Crimson @SlapshotDragon
9th pick (RIG) | 149 TPE at draft | 1044 TPE today

Crimson had a good career, but he kind of stalled there. He had a rookie season to remember, when he scored 62 points and ultimately helped Riga win a Continental Cup, while claiming the Daisouke Kanou Trophy for himself. 2 seasons later, in S65, he scored career highs of 41 goals and 89 points. It looked like this would be the first of many great seasons for him, like he'd be a common name in the league's top 10 in both goals and points until the end of his career, but he moved from Riga to Davos, and failed to score more than 75 points every season after that, effectively failing to take the next step up to stardom. He still has one season before he retires, to try and surpass his best of 89 points.

8. :dav: Paolo Nano @leafsman
19th pick (RIG) | 69 TPE at draft | 703 TPE today

Nano's career took a turn for the best when he decided to join the ever-rebuilding New York Americans and it got even better when he decided to sign as a free agent with the Moscow Menace in their second ever season. Nano went from scoring around 30 points per season to over 60, three seasons in a row. He's been recognized as one of the league's prime offensive defenseman, but the lack of personal awards and Cups make it hard to redraft Nano any higher, though it's still a nice upgrade for the 3rd-round pick.

1,200 something words

Claiming on weeks ending October 20 (with theme bonus) and October 27

Edited by McWolf

34 minutes ago, Josh said:

Hi, sorry.

I should have gone second.

if it's Davis vs Kovalchuk, sure. But there' no way in hell Bana picks anyone else with pick #2 if he is still available 

• Commissioner
32 minutes ago, McWolf said:

if it's Davis vs Kovalchuk, sure. But there' no way in hell Bana picks anyone else with pick #2 if he is still available 

Bana is dumb tho.

On 10/21/2019 at 12:31 AM, McWolf said:

For this theme week, I'm going to talk about the first thing I remember happening when I joined about a year ago. I joined on August 6, 2018, on the morning of the S62 Entry Draft. I can recall it happening on my first day, but I can't say I really remember how it went down, so I'll go through it again, and see what the 1st round should have looked like with 20/20 hindsight.

Original Draft Board: https://vhlportal.com/teams/drafts/1

1. :rig: Rauno Palo @jRuutu
4th pick (QUE) | 276 TPE at draft | 1331 TPE today

Palo was originally selected by the then-Quebec City Meute with the 4th pick, the franchise with whom he played the first 6 seasons and a half of his career. After starting his career as more of a defensive-minded forward, Palo exploded in S67, when he scored 110 points, and brought the Mike Szatkowski, the Alexander Beketov, the Scotty Campbell, the Brett Slobodzian and the Continental Cup home. He's the player from this draft class that enjoyed the most personal success so far in his career, so it would have made sense for Riga to get him with the first pick overall.

2. :sea: Maxim Kovalchuk @Banackock
2nd pick (SEA) | 203 TPE at draft | 1083 TPE today

Kovalchuk was drafted 2nd overall in S62 and, if the draft happened again today, I'm 100% positive Bana would do the same move and draft himself. He has no reason not to, given how he has absolute control over this player, with no risk of him asking for a trade or leaving for free agency at any point in his career. The defenseman has the stats and the hardware to back the selection up, too. He very well could have been named the league's top rookie in S62 if it wasn't for Bana's other rookie scoring 150 points, if I remember correctly, and scored at an over-ppg rate until he moved from defense to center to help the team. He's also the only defenseman not named Mats Johnsson with a Wylde, a Valiq and a Labatte trophy to his name. The Wylde and the Valiq have only been around since S59, but it's still impressive for a modern defenseman when you're alone in a category with MJ.

3. :tor: Jake Davis @Josh
10th pick (TOR) | 186 TPE at draft | 1235 TPE today

This was a weird pick to re-do. I almost gave the team Johnny Havenk Carison. He was a reach back then, and he would look like an even bigger one now, but he was clutch in the S65 playoffs and helped Toronto win a second Continental Cup in as many years. But I figured, if they were able to do it with JHC, they could have done it with basically any backup-level goaltender, so it would probably make more sense for them to draft a high TPE player with better value. Davis is the guy here. He lacks the hardware the two men above him got, but he just barely missed them. He has career highs of 45 goals, 104 points and 201 hits. He was actually never below ppg except for a 70-point rookie season. He's a consistent sharpshooting power forward, and a staple of many VHFL teams since he entered the league.

4. :que: Shawn Glade @ShawnGlade
11th pick (RIG) | 145 TPE at draft | 1073 TPE today

Glade was originally drafted in the second round by the Reign, with who he won a Cup as a depth player in S63. He was later traded to Vancouver, where he won a second Cup, this time as a key member of the team, so it's funny that the re-draft puts him straight with the Wolves. Glade has been one of the best two-way defensemen in the league in the last couple of seasons. He scored over 70 points thrice, and only failed to block 100 shots once in 6 VHL seasons. Like Davis before him, personal awards have eluded him. The main reason he ranks behind Davis here is the fact that, while his best seasons were on par with the forward's, his worse seasons have been fairly bad.

5. :que: Dan Montgomery @BarzalGoat
6th pick (HSK) | 189 TPE at draft | 679 TPE today

It's actually pretty funny that a player that's been barely active in the later half of his career actually moved up in this re-draft. STHS works in mysterious ways, sometimes (always). Montgomery had a honest start to his career, but eventually moved from forward to defense and blew up, claiming the S66 Alexander Valiq Trophy as his own, thanks to a career high (again, as a defenseman) of 91 points. He has calmed down a bit since then, but he's still a reliable defenseman for the perpentually contending Titans.

6. :rig: Leph Twinger @DollarAndADream
1st pick (RIG) | 319 TPE at draft | 1228 TPE today

Oh, what could have been. Sometimes STHS just won't work your way, for some reason. After 133 points in his final VHLM season and 116 in his rookie VHL season, Twinger never scored over 75 points again in a season. He even failed to reach the 50-point mark once, in S67. Since then, he moved from his eponymous position to defense, to try and shake things off, and the results have been good in his first season, though we can all agree it's a bit too late to salvage the disappointment that was his whole career up to this point. Nothing seems particularly off about the guy; he's 3rd in TPE in this whole class, his build was a very regular shoot-first power forward build that has proved to work again and again with other players. Maybe Simon T. really dislikes pun and he gave bad karma to the player? We'll never know.

7. :hel: Ryuu Crimson @SlapshotDragon
9th pick (RIG) | 149 TPE at draft | 1044 TPE today

Crimson had a good career, but he kind of stalled there. He had a rookie season to remember, when he scored 62 points and ultimately helped Riga win a Continental Cup, while claiming the Daisouke Kanou Trophy for himself. 2 seasons later, in S65, he scored career highs of 41 goals and 89 points. It looked like this would be the first of many great seasons for him, like he'd be a common name in the league's top 10 in both goals and points until the end of his career, but he moved from Riga to Davos, and failed to score more than 75 points every season after that, effectively failing to take the next step up to stardom. He still has one season before he retires, to try and surpass his best of 89 points.

8. :dav: Paolo Nano @leafsman
19th pick (RIG) | 69 TPE at draft | 703 TPE today

Nano's career took a turn for the best when he decided to join the ever-rebuilding New York Americans and it got even better when he decided to sign as a free agent with the Moscow Menace in their second ever season. Nano went from scoring around 30 points per season to over 60, three seasons in a row. He's been recognized as one of the league's prime offensive defenseman, but the lack of personal awards and Cups make it hard to redraft Nano any higher, though it's still a nice upgrade for the 3rd-round pick.

1,200 something words

Claiming on weeks ending October 20 (with theme bonus) and October 27

More like McAccurate