Founder's Cup Finals GM 6: Houston Bulls vs. Yukon Rush

VHL Games

• Devise changed the title to Founder's Cup Finals GM 6: Houston Bulls vs. Yukon Rush
  • Commissioner

This is big Gay.

But like... pretty happy we made it to the finals when I went into this season aiming for a sell off and lottery.

Edited by Josh

12 minutes ago, Josh said:

This is big Gay.

But like... pretty happy we made it to the finals when I went into this season aiming for a sell off and lottery.

Yukon is big gay.

Congrats to @FrostBeard and the rest of the Houston Bulls:hou:. Well deserved victory to cap off and extremely successful season. :cheers: 

Your Houston Bulls are S68 Founder's Cup Champions!

We have good and bad seasons boys but here we are, making history. I know that next season will be tough because of many reasons - Sean McGee, our backbone and the best goalie in VHLM will probably move to VHL, Khalabib Stiopic, beast from Cocos islands is heading to VHL, Soren Jensen, one of the best players I have had pleasure having on the roster, Nate Telker is going to make a name for himself in VHL. All of the Howe's that are going into VHLM Draft will be scattered around and we will see them on many different teams. We did it with guys who will become legends and win cups and awards in VHL, guys who are amazing presence in the LR and I am fortunate to have you all on our team. We can't pass on without saying a word about our captain Edu Stava who has been amazing as our 2nd line centre and guys like Ferdinando Jokinen and Erik Summers who helped us be the best defensive team in VHLM!

This is for all of you guys and I can't say big enough thanks! Let's party now and enjoy every moment of it!

WE DID IT!

@SweetMike666 @Telkster @Velevra @Edustava @Erik Summers @Ahma @Strooper99 @Beowoof @Molholt @MWHazard @emidas @Klrpizza @diamond_ace @Jesse Nyman @Frank @TheNano74 @Doc Holliday

10 hours ago, Josh said:

This is big Gay.

The fuck kind of homophobic bullshit is this? Are you twelve?

Should hire real GMs.

Edit to add that it's even more insane and offensive that a commissioner talks like this.

10 hours ago, Banackock said:

Yukon is big gay.

Edited by Doc Holliday

• Commissioner
3 minutes ago, Doc Holliday said:

The fuck kind of homophobic bullshit is this? Are you twelve?

Should hire real GMs.

Coming out of the woodwork to personally attack people based on a generic comment and I'm the child.

:CrosbyLaugh:'

Your league is showing lmao.

3 minutes ago, Josh said:

personally attack people based on a generic comment

Considering this a "generic comment" is exactly the problem. Using slurs adds nothing to a conversation and only serves to be hurtful to others. It is immature, plain and simple.

5 minutes ago, Josh said:

Coming out of the woodwork to personally attack people based on a generic comment and I'm the child.

:CrosbyLaugh:'

Your league is showing lmao.

I'm attacking you because you're out here saying that bad = gay. That's insulting to a lot of people. Would you say "this is big black" or "this is big handicapped" in the same way?

Your homophobia is showing, bruv.

• Commissioner
2 minutes ago, Doc Holliday said:

I'm attacking you because you're out here saying that bad = gay. That's insulting to a lot of people. Would you say "this is big black" or "this is big handicapped" in the same way?

Your homophobia is showing, bruv.

Ever consider not reading into literally everything to see if it offends you? Gay has about 20 different connotations. Maybe don't always assume the worst.

Ever consider not reading into literally everything to see if it offends you? Gay has about 20 different connotations. Maybe don't always assume the worst.

So, based on context, it seems like the connotation you're employing here is "bad." Considering it's a term for people who are homosexual, you can see why I'd take issue with the implication you're making.

Also, feel free to list all 20 of the "connotations" (which I'm assuming are different from definitions/meanings) of the word "gay." I'll wait.

How does anyone read "big gay" when talking about a game you lost and not see it as you saying gay=bad? You're being a troll if you're seriously trying to make that argument.

10 minutes ago, Josh said:

Coming out of the woodwork

We are literally tagged in this post from our GM as our team beat yours, so not sure how exactly we are coming out of the woodwork here.

4 minutes ago, Josh said:

You are quite literally using the word in a negative connotation, so I'm not sure what platform you are standing on right now.

• Commissioner

Alright everyone, calm down. There’s no reason to make a huge deal out of this.

For too many years now, especially on the internet, gay = dumb has been the mindset. I’m not defending it or saying it’s right but that has been the case. @Josh and @Banackock you guys should realistically recognize this is the case and ideally choose your words more carefully. I get being heated in the moment but your words reflect on your positions in the league.

However I will say that having a whole pile of members come in here and pile onto a single comment, I’ll-thought out or otherwise, isn’t really a great look either. Talk to the guy in private or message the mods if you’d like but let’s not make a huge stink out of this because someone made a poor comment and certainly let’s not insinuate he be fired over it.

We’re making a huge deal in here out of a small thing. Josh and Bana, do better. @Doc Holliday, @Erik Summers, @Beowoof, and anyone else: don’t make a mountain out of a single comment someone makes when upset. If it bothers you that much bring it up with someone but let’s not get in a giant fight over this. 

5 minutes ago, Beketov said:

don’t make a mountain out of a single comment someone makes when upset. If it bothers you that much bring it up with someone but let’s not get in a giant fight over this. 

I think you're giving them a lot of credit, Bek. Something tells me if you go search post history or Discord message history, this is going to be a trend.

But fine, who should I talk to about this? Because I do have a serious issue with it, and I think it is grounds for someone to be fired, or at the very least warned. Ask gorlab. He was banned from SBA over repeated comments like this, because they're incredibly offensive. To have a commissioner and GM openly talk like this, with one of them doubling down on it, only for them to merely get told to "calm down" is not a good look.

• Commissioner
7 minutes ago, Doc Holliday said:

I think you're giving them a lot of credit, Bek. Something tells me if you go search post history or Discord message history, this is going to be a trend.

But fine, who should I talk to about this? Because I do have a serious issue with it, and I think it is grounds for someone to be fired, or at the very least warned. Ask gorlab. He was banned from SBA over repeated comments like this, because they're incredibly offensive. To have a commissioner and GM openly talk like this, with one of them doubling down on it, only for them to merely get told to "calm down" is not a good look.

Different leagues, different rules. I understand your concerns but I’m not going to fire or ban a member over something like this. Is it crossing a line, maybe. Is it threatening death on all homosexuals and declaring we need a purge: certainly not. It’s an offhand comment. An ill-advised one and one that shouldn’t be made but I’m not firing anyone over it. Call it what you will but we don’t punish people that severely for that, at least not right now.

But yes, I will talk to them and yes we will make it clearer that the behaviour isn’t necessary or warranted. Ultimately it shouldn’t be used and I’m not making excuses for it but the VHL has usual had an “older internet” level of tolerance toward things. Coming in and hanging up on someone because of a single comment isn’t going to change their mind though and we aren’t going to police every comment from every member. If you have a problem report it.

• Commissioner
5 minutes ago, Doc Holliday said:

Sure I've used a few words that are offensive in situations where it was already deemed somewhat normal over the multiple years I've been on discord and some as part of this community. Everyone has done something offhand. If someone that was offended would have just approached me and said so, I would have removed the comment. Quoting it and personally attacking people isn't a great way to get positive results in any community.. much less this one.

3 minutes ago, Beketov said:

I’m not making excuses for it but the VHL has usual had an “older internet” level of tolerance toward things.

Sounds an awful lot like an excuse to me.

9 minutes ago, Beketov said:

If you have a problem report it.

I have reported both posts in question, and I hope the mods take them seriously.

10 minutes ago, Beketov said:

An ill-advised one and one that shouldn’t be made but I’m not firing anyone over it. Call it what you will but we don’t punish people that severely for that, at least not right now.

we aren’t going to police every comment from every member.

While I understand these concerns from an admin perspective, I think at least a censure or warning of some kind is warranted. It sounds like you want to appease people who are upset by the language without actually having the offending parties suffer any consequences. Even if it's just "hey, watch your language or there will be more serious consequences," that's enough to tell me you take this sort of thing seriously. Instead, you trot out this idea of "older internet tolerance." I don't want to be a member of a community that tolerates any sort of discrimination like this.

9 minutes ago, Josh said:

If someone that was offended would have just approached me and said so, I would have removed the comment. Quoting it and personally attacking people isn't a great way to get positive results in any community.. much less this one.

I literally quoted it and said it was bullshit--how is that different than telling you it offended me? Or did you want the courtesy of not being called out in public? Because you don't get that courtesy once you cross into homophobia.

@Beketov look man, from the thread recently I know you're a busy guy, and I know running a site and community like this takes a lot. I don't want to take up any more of your time. I had respect for you as an admin--you seem pretty humble and aware of your limitations. That's great. But this is too much for me. I was so-so on sticking around based on actual league experience, but recent conduct from VHL members has made me never want to come back here. I want you to hear that you're losing a member over the "older internet tolerance" you don't want to ruffle. I'm retiring my player and I won't be coming back unless this community forces its members to do the bare minimum in not using discriminatory language. I hope you can see why that would be valuable to some people who might want to be a part of this community.

Peace and blessings to everyone except Josh and Bana, who can get fucked.