S68 VHL Awards

Beketov

• Commissioner

p4QwN8H.png

Season 68 VHL Award Ceremony

Welcome everyone to the season 68 VHL award ceremony! First off, a big congratulations to the Seattle Bears, your S68 Continental Cup Champions!

S68.png

Now, onto the rest. Remember, if you won an award (individual) in either the VHL or VHLM, you are entitled to add 2 Uncapped TPE for each award won. If you are a co-winner, add 1 Uncapped TPE for that award. To claim, just link this page to your updates. Please note as well that the names under each award with the vote tally were the names on the official ballot but not the only people initially brought up in discussion.

Championship - Continental Cup: Seattle Bears

Best Regular Season Record - Victory Cup: Malmo Nighthawks

North America Champions - Devon Marlow-Marta Trophy: Seattle Bears

European Champions - Terence Fong Trophy: Malmo Nighthawks

MVP - Scotty Campbell Trophy:  Matt Thompson (MAL)

Thompson - 10, Davison - 2, Palo - 0

Most Outstanding Player (player vote) - Brett Slobodzian Trophy: Matt Thompson (MAL)

Thompson - 65, Davison - 13, Funk - 13, Werbenjagermanjensen - 2, Palo - 2, Wahl - 2

Playoff MVP - Daisuke Kanou Trophy: Rayz Funk (SEA)

Funk - 11, Thompson - 0, Ylonen - 0

Leading Points - Mike Szatkowski Trophy: Matt Thompson (MAL) - 122

Leading Goals - Kevin Brooks Trophy: Matt Thompson (MAL) - 60

Leading Assists - Alexander Beketov Trophy: Kronos Bailey (HSK) - 71

Lowest GAA - Greg Clegane Trophy: Finn Davison (DAV) - 2.20

Top Defenseman - Sterling Labatte Trophy: Smitty Werbenjagermanjenson (DAV)
Werbenjagermanjenson - 12, Philliefan - 0, Tzuyu - 0

Top Offensive Defenseman - Alexander Valiq Trophy: Smitty Werbenjagermanjenson (DAV)
Werbenjagermanjenson - 12, Philliefan - 0, LeGrande - 0

Top Defensive Defenseman - Jake Wylde Trophy: Lance Flowers (NYA) 
Flowers - 5, Garcia - 4, Hackett - 3

Top Goalie - Aidan Shaw Trophy: Finn Davison (DAV)

Davison - 12, Funk - 0, Wahl - 0

Top Two-Way Forward - Scott Boulet Trophy: Julian Borwinn (HSK)

Borwinn - 9, Thompson - 3, Wilinsky - 0

Top Rookie - Christian Stolzschweiger Trophy: Lance Flowers (NYA)

Flowers - 11, Wilcox - 1, Miniti - 1

Executive of the Year - David Knight Trophy: Chris Miller (MAL)
ADV - 9, Bana - 3

Most Improved - Dustin Funk Trophy: Guy LeGrande (NYA)

LeGrande - 6, Johnson - 3, Barabash Jr. - 0

ALL VHL TEAMS

FIRST TEAM - May Claim 2 TPE

F - Matt Thompson

F - Rauno Palo

F - Ryan Sullivan Jr.

D - Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen

D - Jagger Philliefan

G - Finn Davison

SECOND TEAM - May Claim 1 TPE

F - Julian Borwinn

F - Jake Davis

F - Kronos Bailey

D - Tzuyu

D - Guy LeGrande

G - Rayz Funk

ROOKIE TEAM - May Claim 1 TPE

F - Dalton Wilcox

F - Berocka Sundqvist

F - Zero Miniti

D - Lance Flowers

D - Condor Adrienne

G - A Red Guy

• Commissioner

If I'm remembering the precedent correctly (someone please correct me haha) this is a solid 10 TPE I can't claim; oh well. Still nice to see Thompson's career end with a bit of a flourish. Couldn't tie the Boulet record or get a Kanou but 13 individual awards and all VHL first team I think 4 times? I won't complain about that.

Congrats to all the winners. Predictions will be up soon.

Man, going into the season I would not have expected one, let alone two awards. Thanks to everyone who voted for me!

(I think I just pulled into a tie with Knight for 10th most individual awards all-time by a member, but not sure how updated this thing is)

Just now, CowboyinAmerica said:

Man, going into the season I would not have expected one, let alone two awards. Thanks to everyone who voted for me!

(I think I just pulled into a tie with Knight for 10th most individual awards all-time by a member, but not sure how updated this thing is)

Showoff............ Grats buddy, you were great.

congrats on the top defenseman award @flyersfan1453!

Also just curious, what was the thought process in voting in ADV > Banacock (the cup winning GM) for the best GM award? I feel like the voting has always been biased towards the meaningless Victory Cup award instead of the real cup. 

• Commissioner
10 minutes ago, CowboyinAmerica said:

Thompson being a beast and moving me from 4 to 17 means I’m now above Knight, that’s neat haha. Gotta love over quadrupling my award.

• Commissioner
1 minute ago, eaglesfan036 said:

congrats on the top defenseman award @flyersfan1453!

Also just curious, what was the thought process in voting in ADV > Banacock (the cup winning GM) for the best GM award? I feel like the voting has always been biased towards the meaningless Victory Cup award instead of the real cup. 

Playoffs don’t count for top GM in the same way they don’t count for the top coach award in the NHL. It’s not a bias, it’s the definition of the award. Otherwise it’s likely whomever wins the cup would be handed the Knight as well.

As for the actual logic, there was a lot of debate on the matter. Both made big moves to improve their rosters but ultimately the majority it seems felt like ADV did more. It was a tough vote for me though and I assume many others as well. Chances are how loose the vote looks doesn’t accurately indicate how close the two were.

Lowest GAA - Greg Clegane Trophy: Finn Davison (DAV) - 2.20
Top Goalie - Aidan Shaw Trophy: Finn Davison (DAV)

FIRST TEAM - May Claim 2 TPE

G - Finn Davison

I want to thank the HC Davos organization @ShawnGlade for putting faith in me and picking me when other teams passed over me. Thank you to the voters for picking me as well. 

@flyersfan1453 congrats my dude as well, you deserved it!

17 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Playoffs don’t count for top GM in the same way they don’t count for the top coach award in the NHL. It’s not a bias, it’s the definition of the award. Otherwise it’s likely whomever wins the cup would be handed the Knight as well.

As for the actual logic, there was a lot of debate on the matter. Both made big moves to improve their rosters but ultimately the majority it seems felt like ADV did more. It was a tough vote for me though and I assume many others as well. Chances are how loose the vote looks doesn’t accurately indicate how close the two were.

I dont think it was necessarily that I did more but that we both did a fair bit and I navigated a far tougher conference.  

43 minutes ago, Beketov said:

I’m unsure he did “more” but but anyway.. I’m sure it was mostly a toss up or close that both could of won... VHL’s motto lately “just keep swimming...”

Congrats everyone.. 

• Commissioner
27 minutes ago, Advantage said:

I dont think it was necessarily that I did more but that we both did a fair bit and I navigated a far tougher conference.  

Just now, Banackock said:

I’m unsure he did “more” but but anyway.. I’m sure it was mostly a toss up or close that both could of won... VHL’s motto lately “just keep swimming...”

Congrats everyone.. 

whichever way you want to look at it the point is that I don’t think it was most people saying ADV did infinitely more to deserve it. Was moreso just a minor bit of difference between the two and a lot of people leaned a particular way.

same type of deal with the Boulet really. The numbers alone make it look like Borwinn was the absolutely dominant winner when most of the conversation was very split with people just slightly leaning Borwinn, myself included.

I still say ignoring the playoffs is dumb

What if a GM make a move at the trade deadline to bring in 2 guys (for cap purposes), and while they were in 2nd in the regular season are the clearly superior team in the playoffs thanks to said GM's great move. 

Just now, eaglesfan036 said:

Malmo was more concerned with buffing a certain players stats than actually winning a cup it appears to me

ADV admitted that actually stating that a “cup would be a bonus”. While we admit Seattle was a season ahead of schedule, that can likely be credited to  trading for Esso and Shawn. But anywho. We won the cup that matters more (or should matter more).