Raymond Bernard Journal S69 #1 [1/2]

Mr_Hatter

S69 #1

Wednesday, November 13th:

I realize it’s been a while since I last wrote one of these, but man has it been busy! The season ended… interestingly to say the least. Once it seemed we were all but eliminated for playoffs, coach decided to give me a run as starting goalie, and well, we did pretty good. 11 wins out of the final 16, including a 9 game winning streak. We kinda normalized at the end of it, only winning 2 of the final 6. At the end of the day, it wasn’t enough, and we were 4 games back of a playoff spot. It’s rough, because we ended with 82 points, which would have been good enough for second in the North American Conference. Teams in Europe just had a stellar regular season I guess, and it was hard for a good team like us to get a shot in the playoffs. 

It’s too bad, because that was Podrick Cast’s last year. Really wanted to send him out with a bang, and I gotta say, not making the playoffs was a real let down on that end.  He had a decent season, still led the team with 88 points, but it just wasn’t quite enough to carry us to a playoff spot. Just feel a little bad for letting him down. 

The playoffs were interesting enough I suppose. Both Seattle and Malmo made it through to the finals, so straight chalk there as far as regular season standings are concerned, but in the end Seattle straight swept Malmo, which I think was a huge shock to the league. In fact, Seattle only dropped 2 games the whole postseason, both to Toronto in the first round; ironic, because Toronto were probably the weakest team on paper, yet they were the only ones who managed to take anything off Seattle. The Bears are a scary team, still really young with a lot left in the tank as far as being viable competitors is concerned. They are probably favorites this season, but nothing is guaranteed. Although you’d expect them to only improve, you never know. Hockey is a weird game, really hard to predict. 

Speaking of which, I think I’m going to write out my thoughts for the S69 predictions here in this thread! I know it’s a little silly, me being a VHL player and all, but I still like to nerd out over fantasy leagues and all that. So without further ado, let’s jump into it. 

Continental Cup: Seattle Bears
Runners Up: Moscow, Malmo, Riga, Vancouver

I have to go with the Bears to repeat on this one. The way I see it, they still are the firm competitors from the North American Conference, and even if they only have a 40% chance to win against anyone from Europe, that’s still a better chance when the top teams from Europe only have, lets say, a 30% chance of even making the finals, when Seattle is probably an 80%? 

Obviously my numbers are completely off here, and I’m just throwing what sticks, but yeah. Also, I don’t necessarily think we are going to compete for the Cup, but I can’t help but give us a little honorable mention in there now can I? It would be crazy if we pulled it off, in my first full season as a starter. I’d actually die of excitement haha, and with Smitty and Gritty joining us this offseason, as well as some general team growth, who knows?

Victory Cup: Malmo
Runners Up: Seattle, Vancouver, Riga

I know that I’m hype on Seattle to win the cup, but I think Malmo is looking really strong too. Their depth is what I think will carry them to the Victory Cup. With no player over 900 TPE, I think they will really be hurting when it comes instant offense, especially after losing Thompson to retirement, so I don’t think I can back them in a playoff run, but regular season? That’s when depth and consistency shine, and they have that in spades. 

Also I know I seem pretty confident that Seattle will make it out of the North American Conference, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Vancouver has a really good season, with Starload and HHH finally starting to click, they could be a sleeper favorite for the best record in the regular season. 

Devon Marlow-Marta: Seattle
Runners Up: Vancouver

I think Seattle is still the best team in NA, and only getting better; but like I said earlier, I think Vancouver could definitely challenge. 

Terence Fong: Malmo
Runners Up: Riga, Moscow, Helsinki

The EU is a much harder conference to predict in my opinion, as pretty much any of the teams could take it I think, though Prague and Davos are looking very unlikely. One team I think I haven’t given enough credit to is Helsinki. With two of the best forwards in the league and a great goalie, I think they look very dangerous for a playoff run. You never know!

Scotty Campbell Trophy: Julian Borwinn
Runners Up: Julian Borwinn, Ryan Kastelic, Rauno Palo, Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen

Now the player awards, which are also super hard to predict. This season I think it’s even harder, with giants like Thompson and Cast out of the game, there really is no telling. I think the veteren presence of Wilinksy will mesh really well with Seattle’s great young squad, and he will rack up the points, and be close, but I think Borwinn will take the take. With Wilinksy gone, he will have to step up, but the man can really carry a team, which he will have to. Really hard to predict though. 

Brett Slobodzian: Dan Wilinsky
Runners Up: Julian Borwinn, Ryan Kastelic, Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen

I’m going to go ahead and post pretty much the same list here, but with a key difference. Wilinsky will take the Slobo, especially with the player voting brigade that I’m sure Seattle will have. 

Daisuke Kanou: Dan Wilinsky
Runners Up: Acyd Burn, Rayz Funk, Ryan Sullivan Jr.,  Jake Davis, Rauno Palo, Kronos Bailey

With predictions, it’s not so much about getting all of them right, but putting the ones down with the best chance of happening, and I think that Wilinksy might just get the Kanou. I almost put Acyd Burn down here, I think he will repeat his performances from the finals last year and put up some really good numbers, but I had to go with the safe play here. If Riga makes it all the way, look for Rauno Palo’s name too. 

Mike Szatkowski: Julian Borwinn
Runners Up: Julian Borwinn, HHH, Ryan Kastelic, Ryan Sullivan Jr. 

Looking for the point leader is always hard. I think Borwinn will take it, as I believe him to be the best, most-rounded forward in the game, but I think a sleeper pick here is HHH, after the improvement he has seen in the offseason. 

Kevin Brooks: Rauno Palo
Runners Up: Julian Borwinn, Jake Davis, Mikko Aaltonen

Going pretty much by last seasons goal totals here, I think the veteren Palo will end the season with the most goals. Aaltonen could be a sleeper pick here, as he single-handedly will be carrying DC this season. 

Alexander Beketov: Ryan Sullivan Jr
Runners Up: Jagger Phillefan, Kronos Bailey, Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen, Ryan Kastelic

I think the favorite for this award is going to be Ryan Sullivan Jr. This is actually the award I flipped-flopped most on, but I decided on Sullivan. Even though they lost Thompson, Malmo gained a star in Jake Davis, while Kronos Bailey simply lost Wilinsky.

I think anyone could take this though, from  Smitty to Kastelic, or even Hulk Hogan for a sleeper pick. 

Sterling Labette: Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen
Runners Up: Joseph McWolf, Diljodh Starload, Hulk Hogan

This one is another hard to predict category, but I think Smitty will take the cake, on his first season with the Menace. Really I have no clue, and I think Starload could maybe surprise people, now that he is a defenseman his talents might actually express themselves. This is not an easy pick. 

Jake Wylde: Brady Stropko Jr.
Runners Up: Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen, Lance Flowers, Piotr Jerwa

I think Brady Stropko Jr. will have a lot of defending to do, and as such will be top of the list when it comes to shots blocked, a big part of any defensive defenseman’s job. That being said, this probably isn’t the best pick, as I expect his plus-minus to be a little lower than his competition as I expect Calgary to have a somewhat rough year, but you never know!

Aidan Shaw: Kallis Kritekers
Runners Up: Rayz Funk, Greg Eagles, Michael Johnson

Cricket will take the Shaw in this year, with finally a good season (or so I hope). As much as I’d like to put myself here, I really can’t justify it. I think Rayz Funk is a good shout, especially after last year’s playoffs, and I think Eagles might be a sleeper pick here. Definitely not clear cut. It’s possible Davison could impress again, but with how Davos’ roster imploded, I think it’s unlikely. 

Greg Clegane Trophy: Rayz Funk
Runners Up: Kallis Kritekers, Rayz Funk, Greg Eagles

I’m going to say that Rayz Funk will in fact take this one of the goalie awards, getting some help from the studded Seattle roster. I think that he will fall just a little short for SV% to get the Shaw, but this developing Seattle squad will take him to the top of this category. 

Christian Stolzschweiger: Brock Louth
Runners Up: Benny Graves, Soren Jensen, George Washington

I think it’s pretty clear that Brock Louth will have the easiest rookie year out of the top prospects from the S69 class, as he will be going to a team that is already competing. As such I think that being around good players will really boost his numbers, and lead him to his first VHL award. 

Scott Boulet: Julian Borwinn 
Runners Up: Dan Wilinsky, Jake Davis

Borwinn will be the best two-way forward in the league this season, as I expect him to be the best player in the league. I think he will keep up his hard-hitting playstyle from last season, and will rack up the hits as well as the blocked shots. 

David Knight: Banackock, Seattle
Runners Up: Enorama (DC), Victor (Moscow)

I think Banackock will get credit this season for the phenomenal drafting of S66 and S67 after they repeat. Additionally, coaxing certain free agents to the team will help his case. That being said, I think that Enorama might be a surprise winner if DC have a good year, which I have a suspicion they will overperform and make the playoffs, in which case he could take the Knight for top GM. 

Dustin Funk: Dan Wilinsky
Runners Up: Jet Jaguar, Raymond Bernard,  Diljodh Starload, Greg Eagles 

I think that the trade to Seattle will lead Wilinsky to new heights, and he will be the most improved, though he is already a very, very good player. 

Hey, maybe this could be me? I think I’ve gotten a lot better.. Let’s see!

Alexander Valiq: Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen
Runners Up: Just look at my Labette list, I’m running late for training and Victor will kill me. 

I think Smitty will take this defenseman award as well, as he is a clear front-runner in scoring, especially for a defenseman. Maybe Starload has a shout? Interesting to see. 

Conclusion:

Wow it feels really strange to finish your own journal with a conclusion section. Basically, I know almost nothing, and this is going to be a really hard season to predict, after a few key players left the league in favor of retirement. I think Seattle is the safest bet, but hey, don’t count Moscow out. With Gritty and Smitty, I think we could really make a run for the cup. If not this year, I’m super excited for the future of this team. Jaguar and Pavlov are a great core to build around, and I think Gritty and Smitty will be some huge pieces to come. If I develop like I have been, I think with some good drafting this team could really grow into something special! Until next time. 

Review: 

Holy crap man, absolutely jealous that you were able to sit down and write out over 2000 words. I wish I had the patience you did. Great job breaking down your predictions and explaining why you made the choices you did! 

4 hours ago, eaglesfan036 said:

fun read, we should make a great go at the cup this year. A lot is riding on goaltending so keep bumpin that tpe

I wanted to put more of us in the awards categories but it felt a little too presumptuous ? don't wanna jinx it right??

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Raymond Bernard Journal S69 #1 [1/2]