Why I left VSN

ShawnGlade

So maybe not my typical post, maybe you expecting a Davos article? Anyways, I wanted to give my reasons for leaving VSN after about 7 months of managing it, and give my side of the story in the shitstorm that I created.

But first, a little bit of backstory

So back when I took over VSN, I was a highschool senior with lots of free time and the league was booming at the time. The recruitment team did a fantastic job bringing in new guys, and VSN at the time was in a bit of a downfall. The previous management team had let VSN go down, and so I was put in charge of the operations and had full control over VSN. I implemented new rules, brought in new guys, talked to Beaviss about new ideas, everything was great. There were rough patches in the months leading up to this story, but they were more or less handled and were all good. Over the summer, I made a typical teen move and met this girl, fell in love, blah blah you get the rest. Basically, my time on the site wasn't as high, but I still was an active GM and VSN manager. VSN took a bit of a free fall however when I had college coming up and needed to get my shit in order for that, as well as working full time. I wasn't the most active in the weeks leading up to me heading off to school, but at least i gave a heads up beforehand.

And now the juicy stuff

So in the past month or two, people were calling for my head when VSN was in limbo, not producing really any content. There was a dumbass poll or whatever set up by Dill (I think?) to replace me, but I refused to let go of VSN because i still wanted to make it something great. Along in my DMs, Banackock comes and gives me all these wonderful ideas of VSN, which I admit were really good ideas. I decide "Hey, people obviously think I'm literally Hitler because I've been dormant with VSN for a bit, why not bring Bana in so people will shut their fuckin traps?" So bana hops aboard the VSN train, toot toot. And immediately VSN takes off in the right direction again, and I'm thinking "finally, maybe bana was what i needed...." Yeah, so fuck that.

I don't wanna make this a rant on bana post, because I could probably write a ~2k word article on that, but I'm "inactive" so I don't have time for that. However, I can't ignore Bana's role in this, as it's my main reason in leaving. Anyways, firstly he brings in a whole new crew overnight without telling me. I was sorta indifferent about it, and I had a word with him about it, but ultimately decided to not fight that battle because it seemed like a good crew of guys. The next Bana move was making an entirely separate VSN discord server. I knew about this and was also indifferent about it, I left it up to the people to decide and they agreed, so we made it........well Bana made it. I wasn't really upset about it, he made the server fully functional and cool in like an hour, maybe less. My gripe about it was again, he did it without talking to me at all, not asking for ideas or anything, after all we were co-running this thing. After this is when I start having my real beef with Bana. Sometime in between VSN battles, Seattle wins a cup, with my player on it.......with Bana as the GM. For a brief period of time, I was at an all time high with Bana, and I was ready to start working side by side with him to make VSN great again, except that's not how it happened. A bit after Seattle's cup win, we butt heads again, this time about me being "inactive." I will be the first to admit that my activity maybe wasn't ideal, but I will die on this hill: I was FAR from inactive. Tell me how someone claiming 12 TPE a week plus running a team is inactive, because I'd love to hear the logic. Anyways, we had a huge fight and we even fought in the thread of a trade I made (that's funny, calling me inactive in the thread of a trade I made literally half an hour before?) The thread is locked but I'm sure you all have seen it. Basically the guy was being an asshole and calling me all these things and making accusations that I won't go into for now because I don't wanna give him undeserved attention because that's all he wants. (Sidenote, today he literally called himself one the top 3 greatest GMs of all time in this league, lmao) But he decided to go in too deep on me, and say I was inactive for missing the S69 draft. (My reasoning? It was just scheduled during a time i couldn't make it, and I didn't want the draft time to change just for me, so i just had to miss it.) Regardless, I can assure you I'm pretty fucking active, don't listen to what bana might tell you, or what he might tell your FAs to try and persuade them to leave Davos, by basically calling me a huge asshole and saying I'm not active. Point of the story: Bana nearly single handedly killed my interest in VSN

But he's not entirely the reason, I can't forget about some of the process and the way things went in this "New Look VSN." For starters, I got shit on for collecting pay, wtf? I only claimed pay in weeks that I put out an article, which is how it's always been done. Apparently nobody else got the memo that there's this new thing called TPE that you claim for doing your work :o what a concept. Anyways the entire crew shit on me for claiming for whatever reason, so that annoyed me a lot, because now I'm sitting here with this new player that I am now way behind my draft class with because other people can't figure their shit out. The whole reason behind it was because I guess Bana and Frostbeard (notice how I was again not kept in the loop) were deciding on what pay should be for everyone so they can present it to the Blues. Tell me why it took almost 3 weeks to tell the blues "yeah so we're gonna change the pay except everyone is literally getting paid the same amount they were before." This was almost the final straw for me. However the real final straw was already mentioned, how Bana was a complete dickhead towards me and acted like he was the fucking man all along. Either way, I was not a fan of how things had gone over the past few weeks. As far as activity goes, again I'll admit I maybe wasn't the most active, but real life got in the way. My apartment building lost power for a few days, I left for a hockey trip, came back and found out a friend of mine had committed suicide in his dorm, and then went on another hockey trip, all of this going down while Bana was being a real asshole. (For clarification, I play hockey for my college)

But to wrap this up, this is the end of my VSN reign. It was fun while it lasted, but I have fill faith in the crew to make VSN a great media outlet again. I just don't want to be involved in all the drama and bullshit anymore and get back to having fun on the site. i just hope Bana doesn't run it into the ground.

---

1,316 words, claiming for weeks ending 11/24 and 12/1

I'm not going to touch on this much. Only this one single post because no beef is needed.  I'm not the only one who criticized you for your role with VSN. A lot have. I wasn't even the one who started it like you mention. I did take a pretty strong stance with it once I joined the battle to MAKE VSN GREAT AGAIN. To this day, I still think we could of got ADV banned. It's been months since people have complained about it. It wasn't getting better and neither was your presence. I still had been getting members from within VSN asking "Is Shawn going to do anything? He isn't around at all really". You brought me onboard. It came to the point people just tagged me or went to Frosty. I made changes that the staff members liked and that were needed to pump out content and to form better organization. I also brought in amazing people who have really done awesome things so far and really stepped up for VSN. They've pumped up some cool articles and done a lot of work behind the scenes that have actually shown us that VSN's potential can once again contribute good things to the league. Frosty has been excellent in doing 90% of yours and my work, with me helping much more than you the last some time. due to your busy scheduling.

Everything done has been good. Everything done, hiring Frosty etc - made your life and role easier. Legit, I had staff of VSN messaging me stating "I wish he'd show up more". That's it. The ball was rolling in a good direction. It's not like things were done unanimously. We had shit posted either in PM's or on the VSN Discord ups or discussion on decisions... you just had to be there (they weren't minute long talks, they were over the course of days etc)...  We were frustrated but understood you being busy. More times than not, it was me who was telling someone "He's busy, we got this. He'll come around. His head is there but he's obviously busy". 

You're a busy, dude. I don't know why you're upset over that fact or coming at me like this. You couldn't handle the role and people were getting upset or noticed that. Don't be mad at me because of that fact. I came on to help. It's much better now than where it was heading not too long ago thanks to many, many great people currently in the VSN. :) 

Please, no silly drama. The leagues had enough of it lately. Let's cause some good in this league for a change. The damn weather here is cold and snow has covered the ground. :(  Have a good rest of your weekend, Shawna. @ShawnGlade :) 

Edited by Banackock

Shawn it sounds like your real life responsibilities led to you stepping down from VSN. There is nothing wrong with that, as we all have our peaks and valleys with activity on here.

when you were my GM I had no issues with your activity, but i so think it is a bad look to not even send a list for your drafts. Not being able to attend is fine but at least do some scouting for it 

• Admin
12 minutes ago, Advantage said:

I will say...Bana prob is one of the top three GMs of all time in the league at this point.

Longevity =/= quality. He's getting up there, and this recent rebuild helps a lot, but go back 2 seasons and you're looking at 1 cup in nearly 20 seasons.

• Admin
1 minute ago, TheLastOlympian07 said:

who are your top gms?

i think this calls for a @Victor MS

It's on the radar, although don't know when. Low key I think I want to GM Moscow long enough to justify at least an honourable mention. :P

But my top 5 would be Higgins, Devise, Advantage, Frank and I dunno - Quik, Jason, Knight, probably Bana in the mix, but I also rate hedgehog's Riga above Bana's Seattle.

(not that you asked for my top GMs)

7 minutes ago, TheLastOlympian07 said:

who are your top gms?

i think this calls for a @Victor MS

1 and 2 are Higgins and I in whatever way people want to put it.  It may be Higgins now...it may not be...I could see it either way.  But his time In HSK was incredible.

3 to 5 is probably including Hedge, Bana and Frank/Devise.  

Hedge and Bana have had some great runs as GMs and cups do matter, but the moves they have made over time speak highly of their times as GMs.  They field great teams whether they win or not.

Devise biggest issue is he hasn't really done a rebuild proper and build that team up to a cup and has rather inherited decent to good teams for the most part and thrown picks at other teams to stay competitive.  Hes won a lot tho..and is very good at winning for sure.

Knight is up there too and Jason I think is up there too along with a few formers like Mike.

Victor definitely is in the convo too.

25 minutes ago, Victor said:

It's on the radar, although don't know when. Low key I think I want to GM Moscow long enough to justify at least an honourable mention. :P

But my top 5 would be Higgins, Devise, Advantage, Frank and I dunno - Quik, Jason, Knight, probably Bana in the mix, but I also rate hedgehog's Riga above Bana's Seattle.

(not that you asked for my top GMs)

we are in a point in time where if Victor wants to say something whether asked or not, we listen to what he has to say about a topic. 

• Head Moderator

This was interesting to read. Feels like a corporate hostile takeover movie could be made out of this. Just too bad that we got a few people that got pissed over it. Too many possible angles on this situation so I won't comment too much since I haven't seen the internals of vsn.