Hoping For More Transparency, a Potential First For Tagger and Prep For The Hottest Mess 2019 Podcast

Tagger

Hoping For More Transparency

An article recently posted by Bushito on the forums brought into question the potential effect of the morale attribute in the VHL and how much of a part it played in wins/losses. While I have some questions about some of the points he raised, it does bring up a problem that I’ve had with the league in the past and that’s the lack of transparency in the simming process. It’s very surprising to me that we’ve been running now for over 12 years, yet there hasn’t been (at least since I joined this league six years ago) any written documentation to show what sim settings we use for our games. The nearest I think I’ve ever seen was in the Season 52 Index, where a few select sliders were posted on the front page, but even that is surprisingly little information to receive given the amount of settings that feature in this sim engine that we simply do not know if they are or are not implemented. Hopefully at some point, a thread will be created which will provide the screenshots of all of the different setting screens so that we are no longer in the dark about what is and isn’t set to have an effect in the sim so we all have an easily accessible way of seeing what does work rather than having to rely on second-hand information that may or may not be true.  

A Potential First For Tagger

As you may well be aware, my current player is called Edwin THE Encarnacion and he is the fifth player I’ve created in the VHL to use a variation of the surname. The THE was set to signify that this is the ultimate Encarnacion, which would be no mean feat given that two of the Encarnacion’s hold all-time records and a third is in the Hall of Fame. Things have gotten off to a good start though as Edwin THE Encarnacion has presented me with arguably my best opportunity to date to win the Founders Cup with one of my players. Despite Edwin THE Encarnacion being my sixth player to enter the VHLM (I made a player called Aackckqz Ky as well who had his every action determined by a random generator), I’ve only ever made it to one VHLM Founders Cup Final with a player, a Season 42 trip with Edwin Reencarnacion that ended up a 4-2 loss. However with the Saskatoon Wild, I’ve found myself on arguably the best team in the VHLM at the moment with several players more than capable of hitting the new 250 TPE cap for the VHLM prior to the start of the playoffs and we currently sit atop the standings. It won’t be a breeze, there are several other good VHLM teams who would like nothing more than to stop the current leaders on their way to their own Founders Cup victory, but I have a lot of faith in the current setup and hopefully I’ll be able to mark the end of the season with my first ever Founders Cup and, as a result, a first chance at a Triple Gold down the line.

Prep For Hottest Mess 2019 Podcast

At the end of 2016 and 2018 (2018’s can be found here), I produced end of year podcasts where I debated what moments in the given year were the Hottest Mess. What defines a Hot Mess? Well basically anything that you can look at that happened in the VHL this year and say “Boy, that’s a Mess!” It can be a specific draft class (2016’s winner was the Season 51 Draft Class which produced only two VHL players), a specific team or conference (the horrid European Conference of 2016 got a special mention), member actions/bans (2018’s joint-winners were member based) or just new additions to the league that did not work. While my 2018 one was recorded on a drive back from work, I’m planning on doing a sit-down one presented similarly to the one I recorded with Enorama, with different podcasts for each mess.  I’ve got a few topics that I know could fit into the bracket of Hottest Mess, but I’m interested in hearing what other’s think and maybe there’s been an instance that I’ve not picked up on myself that would qualify for the list. If you are interested, I’ve got a form that you can fill in HERE where you can either check one of the shortlisted options as a Hottest Mess or provide your own.

48 minutes ago, Victor said:

Wait which record does Encarnacion have?

Unless somebody has broken it, most all-time hits for a defenseman and most all-time PIMS for a defenseman

Edited by Tagger

Yeah I've been monitoring that thread, my apologies for not following up further with a comment regarding it, but I have read every post and have appreciated the comments/thoughts there. I will say that it is my intention to record a video showing both the slider settings we've always used,  as well as explaining how morale works and has worked in our league best as I've always understood it from the STHS research I've done. It would also allow me to show/explain a couple of things regarding STHS anyways.

However without going into to much detail here the most I've been able to ascertain is that team morale goes up based on wins and down based on losses. How badly it spikes up and down, and how high your overall team morale stat is to start the season is based on a mix of the default starting team morale and some of your players morale. All players start with the same default morale as well when inputted in the sim. Players who invest in leadership give a small boost to their teams starting morale and have a higher chance of keeping their team morale up during win streaks and making it go down less during losing streaks. The affect that morale itself has on the sim only gets applied at the beginning of games and it's the teams overall morale, giving players a small performance boost on each side based on team morale. Although we do not have morale disabled in the settings, morale has always been set pretty low in STHS at a slider of 25 on the usual 0-99 scale for each team. 

Edited by Devise