Oh Hey, I Won an Award

CowboyinAmerica

Image result for hockey awards ceremony"

I haven't actually written about this yet, so figure I should.

New York (AP) -- We're now about 10 games into the VHL season, but for New York defenseman Lance Flowers, it's hard not to look back. Specifically, he's looking back to one night in New York City over the offseason, where for once he wasn't on the ice, but instead on stage accepting an award - two, in fact.

The rookie defenseman was given two Season 68 awards by the voting committee, running away with the Christian Stolzschweiger Trophy for Rookie of the Year, then narrowly eking out a vote for the Jake Wylde Trophy for top Defensive Defenseman. Flowers certainly didn't see either award coming at the beginning of the season (he didn't predict himself for either award), and even as the end of the season started coming into focus, he wouldn't let himself think that two awards were a possibility.

"This is crazy. My first season!" Flowers exclaimed in accepting the Wylde Trophy on stage. "I know there's players out there with more talent, and others that have been waiting a lot longer for an opportunity just like this. But I'm not going to lie - it feels good. And I'm proud of my own work, that of my teammates, and everybody who's believed in me to get to this point."

Especially on the defensive end, Flowers was a standout his first season. He led the VHL with 294 hits, and his 159 shots blocked were top five in the league. His 52 assists were also top ten among defensemen.

So will it be the start of a trend for Flowers? He's not counting his chickens before they hatch, especially with a slower start to Season 69. But he knows that good things come to those who put in the work.

"I hope I have more shots to be up here in front of you guys," Flowers said. "This just feels so cool."