What Grinds Your Gears Thread

eaglesfan036

VHL, what is it that has been grinding your gears lately? I will start

1) When you are on a two lane highway with pretty heavy traffic so everyone is going like 20 or 30 mph. You are in the left lane and the car behind you is riding your ass because you are actually giving a normal following distance to the car in front of you. They believe that riding your ass will make the 100 cars in front of you go faster. They then proceed to switch lanes, cut really fast in between just to pass you, but are still stuck in that same traffic. Well done.

2) The other day on my drive to work I figured there must be an accident or something, because there was a 10 minute ish delay in traffic. It turns out there was no accident, merely a car pulled over on the side of the road with a flat tire or something. Because people are idiots, everyone had to look at this exciting event going on in the shoulder and slow down, causing this unnecessary traffic jam. 

3) People who are rude to waiters,waitresses, or customer service for something that is entirely not that fault. I think it is important for everyone to work at least one customer service or retail kind of job in their life just to know what it is like. Often times they are just a cog in the machine of a company with really shitty policy. It is not their fault if they are merely following the rules assigned by their job in not giving you a discount or whatever. As long as they are polite (99% are fine) I usually am quite friendly with them, and shockingly friendliness can get you much further than being rude a lot of the time. 

I relate to the driving stuff a lot right now.  We had our first real snow last week and people who have lived in the Midwest their entire lives all of a sudden forget how snow and ice work.  Is it necessary to be right on my bumper in this weather (or ever)?

brain_snow_rain.thumb.jpg.615648154256c283525946d466b4a088.jpg

6 minutes ago, eaglesfan036 said:

3) People who are rude to waiters,waitresses, or customer service for something that is entirely not that fault. I think it is important for everyone to work at least one customer service or retail kind of job in their life just to know what it is like. Often times they are just a cog in the machine of a company with really shitty policy. It is not their fault if they are merely following the rules assigned by their job in not giving you a discount or whatever. As long as they are polite (99% are fine) I usually am quite friendly with them, and shockingly friendliness can get you much further than being rude a lot of the time. 

100% true. Please, please, be nice to people working shitty retail jobs. The number of people who apparently walk into my store not to buy stuff, but to yell at me for existing, thankfully isn't extreme, but it's certainly enough. You never know what someone's story is, you never know why they're there. The fact that we're out of your variety of soup or that your German pie filling mix happens to be down the international aisle rather than the baking aisle is not my fault.

Also, people are incredibly oblivious. If you're stopping for something, don't do it in the middle of the aisle and make it so nobody can get through in either direction.

5 minutes ago, eaglesfan036 said:

Name one

At my job we recently marked up every item in the store by 1% because sales are down companywide. So we spent a lot of manhours replacing a few thousand labels over the span of a couple weeks, primarily for $0.10 markups, and it directly led to a new employee quitting because she spent her two days working on labels instead of getting experience ringing out customers like I told her to. Then my boss called me off-the-clock to yell at me for an hour about what she said in her exit interview, completely taking the word of someone that worked here for 12 hours total. Some of the gems within that include him telling me out of the blue that he doesn't like one of our other employees and was happy he was leaving for another job, and the random power trip line 'I can't train all your employees for you'.

So there's like seven things within there that rub me the wrong way.

1.) People who don't play the objective in objective based game modes in COD. It's one thing to camp a spot that's directly related to the objective, but the random guy in a building staring at a door does nothing.

2.) Me being forced to play regular team death match in COD. Madness!

3.) People who get overly emotional in their responses and don't step back and think for a second to calm down or collect their thoughts.

4.) Young people references to things I don't understand. I thought bread was something you ate, but apparently it's money now too.

33 minutes ago, flyersfan1453 said:

1.) People who don't play the objective in objective based game modes in COD. It's one thing to camp a spot that's directly related to the objective, but the random guy in a building staring at a door does nothing.

2.) Me being forced to play regular team death match in COD. Madness!

3.) People who get overly emotional in their responses and don't step back and think for a second to calm down or collect their thoughts.

4.) Young people references to things I don't understand. I thought bread was something you ate, but apparently it's money now too.

2) You aren't being forced to play TDM, take it off of your filter

4) Bread being money isn't something new I'm pretty sure that phrase has been around quite a few years

1) When I have 5 different bosses and they all ask me for the same information, whether it be what my position does or what I am currently working on, and don't collaborate with each other for one second. But also wanting slightly different answers than the other four. 

2) That I am turning into a "get off my lawn" type of person at 32 (nearly 33) and finally feel like I don't relate with the younger people in the world. 

3) Trying to orchestrate a D&D game between 5 people that all work full-time. NOBODY EVER HAS TIME!

4) How many goddamn streaming services there are now. I once thought I was saving money over not having cable. 

5) That I am not, in fact, the father of a baby Yoda. 

source.gif

Edited by InciteHysteria

37 minutes ago, InciteHysteria said:

4) How many goddamn streaming services there are now. I once thought I was saving money over not having cable. 

Was thinking of cutting out cable two years ago...sort of glad I never did. Yes, I'd probably save some money each month, but it's way too much of a hassle now.

I'll gladly pay for things if they're reasonably priced and easy to access...and now that they're not...yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me

37 minutes ago, InciteHysteria said:

2) That I am turning into a "get off my lawn" type of person at 32 (nearly 33) and finally feel like I don't relate with the younger people in the world. 

Hell yeah brother. I'm 24 and have felt this way for at least 5 years now.

38 minutes ago, InciteHysteria said:

Unfortunately now that that industry is becoming incredibly oversaturated the butter doesn't cover the whole toast anymore, so people will be pushed back to pirating. I can only hope the individual networks do so badly with it they have to give up on trying and revert their shows back to an established brand.

On 11/18/2019 at 11:49 PM, GustavMattias said:

100% true. Please, please, be nice to people working shitty retail jobs. The number of people who apparently walk into my store not to buy stuff, but to yell at me for existing, thankfully isn't extreme, but it's certainly enough. You never know what someone's story is, you never know why they're there. The fact that we're out of your variety of soup or that your German pie filling mix happens to be down the international aisle rather than the baking aisle is not my fault.

Also, people are incredibly oblivious. If you're stopping for something, don't do it in the middle of the aisle and make it so nobody can get through in either direction.

I certainly think everyone should have a service-oriented job at least once in their lives.  It's pretty fucked up how badly people treat that industry (i worked at panera through college).

ALSO

2) everyone's 100% willingness to drive in the left lane at whatever speed they fucking please because the right lane might have a pothole in it

3) old people