19/20 soccer/football thread

Just now, flyersfan1453 said:

Yeah...I'm starting to get slightly worried that Spurs won't even qualify for Europa without one of Son or Kane coming back. 

Yeah, that might even happen, you don't know with this teams

• 4 months later...

@solas

Don't know about you, but I don't mind playing a conservative, counter-attacking style. I've harped on this before, but given Spurs financial situation compared to the current top 4, I think this approach (which can be bought into more by a team of tight, collective players) is more realistic to lead to a championship than free flowing, attacking soccer.

If we go with the latter approach, I think you're more at the mercy of whatever "golden generation" you can get together. We blew our chance with the previous group, and without a large sale to reinvest in the squad, I don't see the funds or transfers available to re-create that.

1 minute ago, flyersfan1453 said:

@solas

Don't know about you, but I don't mind playing a conservative, counter-attacking style. I've harped on this before, but given Spurs financial situation compared to the current top 4, I think this approach (which can be bought into more by a team of tight, collective players) is more realistic to lead to a championship than free flowing, attacking soccer.

If we go with the latter approach, I think you're more at the mercy of whatever "golden generation" you can get together. We blew our chance with the previous group, and without a large sale to reinvest in the squad, I don't see the funds or transfers available to re-create that.

I don't mind the idea of it.  My problem with the current Spurs team, however, is that I don't see much of an identity in attack for when those counterattacks come.  There are incredible attacking players in the squad but there doesn't seem to be much of a plan outside of "hope the really good players do really good things" or "send the ball out to the wing and constantly cross it into the box".  

I also feel like the team still has positional needs.  IMO the team lacks a defensive midfielder and could use cover at both fullback positions, as well as maybe a backup for Kane.  Plus I think having a midfielder who can carry the ball from deep and beat the press is important and has been lacking ever since Dembele left.  Ndombele absolutely has the ability to play in that kind of role but I worry about his place in a team managed by Mourinho - will he get playing time, is his the type of midfielder Mourinho wants in a team, will he develop well.  

...But hey, the NLD was great!  I don't know if it's a sign for the long term and I feel like some of the chances were coming from mistakes by the Arsenal defense.  But either way I'm happy, especially after seeing a couple of bland, boring games before this one.

17 minutes ago, solas said:

I don't mind the idea of it.  My problem with the current Spurs team, however, is that I don't see much of an identity in attack for when those counterattacks come.  There are incredible attacking players in the squad but there doesn't seem to be much of a plan outside of "hope the really good players do really good things" or "send the ball out to the wing and constantly cross it into the box".  

I also feel like the team still has positional needs.  IMO the team lacks a defensive midfielder and could use cover at both fullback positions, as well as maybe a backup for Kane.  Plus I think having a midfielder who can carry the ball from deep and beat the press is important and has been lacking ever since Dembele left.  Ndombele absolutely has the ability to play in that kind of role but I worry about his place in a team managed by Mourinho - will he get playing time, is his the type of midfielder Mourinho wants in a team, will he develop well.  

...But hey, the NLD was great!  I don't know if it's a sign for the long term and I feel like some of the chances were coming from mistakes by the Arsenal defense.  But either way I'm happy, especially after seeing a couple of bland, boring games before this one.

I agree in general - definitely a work in progress, and I'd expect for some changes during the off-season.

Biggest need is some sort of ball winning midfielder. In a pinch, I think Lo Celso and Ndombele can fill that ball playing midfielder role. I'd also be curious to see Ndombele in Sissoko's spot of today's match, but that would mean needing Aurier to play more conservatively or just do so against lesser competition.

The 442 allows Son (or Dele, who I think might be able to play that role as well) to cheat a little bit defensively - contribute defensively in the middle of the pitch when needed, but isn't always needed to play defense like the wingers are. This is very rough, but http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=vx314

You'd have to balance the wings out with who you put at LW/LB and RW/RB.