Derek Eriksson - Junior Review [2/2]

DirtyDerek

Name: Derek Eriksson
Birthplace: Malmo, Sweden
Position: RW

I've been playing the best sport in the world since the day I could walk. Everyday when I was younger I was on the ice and nobody could get me off of it. I was absolutely in love with the game of hockey, and I was good.. really good. Some said I had a gift. A natural talent that everyone wish they had. From the age of 4, I was labeled as the next big superstar. Most people who knew of me say I threw my future away, and I did. By the time I turned 10 I had professional scouts at almost every one of my games. I set almost every junior hockey record here in Malmo. I had full scholarship offers from dozens of different colleges and at such a young age, my future looked bright...

A few months after i turned 13, something tragic happened that would change my life forever. It was a snowy day in Malmo, and my parents dropped me off for hockey practice like they normally do. A few hours later my coach pulled me off the ice and said I had to go. I looked up and my grandparents were standing there with a distinct look on their faces. I knew right away something was wrong. They brought me to their house just down the street and I asked them whats happening and they told me that their was an accident. My parents swerved off the highway and rolled their car 6 times before it came to a stop. I burst out in tears and had millions of emotions going through my head. Anger, sadness, disgust and fear to name a few. 

Life was rough without my parents. I became depressed and cut hockey out of my life completely. All the things I had going for me, came to a complete stop. All my scholarships were withdrawn, and nobody cared about who or what I was anymore. It wasn't until I turned 18 before i decided to lace up my skates again. I started off in a junior league and was extremely hesitant to play, but after a few games I got my legs back under me and I quickly remembered why I began playing the game. My first year I finished with 43 points in 25 games. My whole life shifted and I became happier and met a ton of great friends. I didn't really expect much after my first season, but last season I led the league in points. I had 138 points in just 37 games. I was named MVP of the league and led my team to their first ever championship. It felt so good to be back. 

This off-season I was looking around to see if I could potentially play at a higher level. My cousin Kyle (Andersen) plays on the Philadelphia Reapers in the VHLM so I asked him if they were having any open tryouts this year. He ended up helping me get a private tryout. I flew out to Philly and I busted my butt. I knew I couldn't pass up this opportunity. A few weeks passed since I had the tryout, so I assumed I wasn't getting the call. I was heading to the gym for a workout and I got the call. I made the team..

So this is where Im at now. I've been through a ton of adversity in my hockey career, but Im ready to take the next step with the Reapers and put in the hard work to better not only my hockey career, but my life. 

Ice Hockey GIF by NHL

Review: This was really well done. Adversity, and overcoming it, are important factors in someone's backstory, and I think it was executed well. It's formatted nicely, and I can never be mad at the inclusion of Gritty at the end. I also enjoyed how your story is related to your cousin's, it's a cool element to have in both of your backstories. Great work!

Review: Well written review and backstory. Good length and was very interesting to read. The one thing I would add though is some sort of picture, maybe a headshot or Derek in action. Would help spruce this up and meet the minimum established in the Junior Review guidelines. Well done and keep up the good work

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Derek Eriksson - Junior Review [2/2]