Hackett in Contract Year

Renomitsu

Riga, Latvia - After signing an extension to his rookie deal in season 67, Hackett was confirmed to dedicate the first half of his career to the Reign.  Now, with over a quarter of the season gone, the clock on Hackett's fourth season (the last of his contract) is ticking just a little louder than before. The American defenseman has never been to free agency in his career, and to his knowledge has never been part of trade talks, either. Indeed, he expressed his desire to play for a single team for his entire career even prior to being drafted - something that hasn't changed.

"No, I am not worried about this being a contract year," Hackett explained in a recent presser, "my loyalties lie with the Reign and nobody else. I think I have proven myself through my first three seasons, and have enough reason to believe that continues to be the case through these first twenty or so games."

The parameters of his contract - NTCs or options - have not been discussed with either camp as of yet. The only sticking point at this stage of the game may be his salary - as at this point in his career, he's guaranteed a minimum contract ($4.5m this season) that is not insignificant for a team with many players entering their primes, though Hackett doesn't think this to be a problem in the least.

"I'm confident the boss and I can work something out," he added, "he may be a bit pointy at times - being a hedgehog and all - but I'd like to remain part of the Reign my entire career."