Streak over

jRuutu

cq5dam.web.512.341.jpg

After winning seven games in a row, the impressive winning streak came to a sudden end when Malmo came into Latvia and took the win. The game was as tight as they come, Malmo had 30 shots and Riga 25. After the game many Riga fans questioned the powerplay, especially in the first period when Malmo took two minor penalties back to back, Riga failed to score.

Matthew Materazo scored the game's first goal in the second period, Rodriquez and McWolf with the assists. Riga was offered a chance to make it 1-1 at the end of the second when Adrienne took a two-minute penalty for elbowing, but once again the powerplay failed to produce. Malmo PK was really good that has to be said.

The game ended 2-0, the final nail in the coffin came with an empty netter when Rodriguez scored his 7th of the season late in the third. McWolf, by the way, had a point on both of the Malmo goals, the always so loving Riga ultra fans remembered McWolf for the time spent in Riga and threw a guitar on the ice.

Tough game overall for Riga, Rauno Palo gave a quick comment to the media after the game:

OgMeId5.png?1

We were not good enough, there is no other way to put it. Malmo wanted it more. They gave us plenty of chances to take the game and even come back to the game, but we did not take them. Shame that the winning streak ends like this, to win seven games in a row is a great achievement, VHL is a hard league.

When the next game comes, I´m sure the guys are hungry and want to win, we have too much firepower in the roster to not score any goals, I´m among the first ones where it starts. I had five shots today and I´m one of the players who are out there for powerplays you know, I need to be better. That is all I have to say about the game, thanks.

Rigas season continues at home, at first Davos comes to visit and then Malmo again. Davos has been struggling this year, seven wins from 37 games mean that they are at the bottom of the European division. The Malmo game will be an interesting one, with the win from Riga they managed to put up some distance in the standings, two points above Riga right now. Riga has 45 points and Malmo at 47, so big points on the table when the teams meet again.

Helsinki is leading the European division with 52 points, both Malmo and Riga want to collect points and put more pressure on the Finnish side, if you finish first in the standings there is a pretty good chance you get a favorable matchup in the playoffs, but plenty of hockey left to be played and playoffs is always a different season almost like, need to beat whoever comes up if you want to go all the way and I have a feeling Riga wants to go all the way!