Graphics People: Please Be as Constructively Critical as Possible

Gustav

qYeHZZE.png

This is my most recent, I think it's easily better than most of my other stuff but I also know it's got its issues. If anyone wants to point them out and let me know how I can fix them, please do!

2 minutes ago, DilIsPickle said:

[Get rid of background logo first, make it appropriate size, and tilt logo so it looks like it's real]

This is actually what I tried to do, I just suck at it.

It didn't really help that the logo is already tilted, so tilting it just made it go the other way and look right side up.

it's definitely a sig

53 minutes ago, DilIsPickle said:

weird shape

400x300 is somewhat standard. obv not as popular as 400x200. I think it's 400x300 at least, or around it.

@GustavMattias

1. Render placement is weird. It feels a little small. A tip from gorlab was to place it so the top of the helmet is off the screen, kind of like whats going on in your lefthand sig

2. Render looks out of place, it's too bland for what's going with the rest of the background. I'd play with levels/curves and get some more changes to it.

3. Your text looks like one layer where you typed "Jared Spaz" and just pressed enter after Jared. Make multiple text layers so you can move the words closer together.

4. The effect on the text doesn't really fit in with the rest of the sig, although it is kinda cool

5. Maybe move the render close to the middle, it's usually a good idea to have the eye drawn to the render and since it's off to the left the main thing im looking at is the big Spaz in the middle

6. The background and the diagonal stock thing is cool, i like it.

7. Dunno whats going on with the glove and pants, it's like there's something overlaying it thats making it look off colour.

8. Try adding some lighting to your sigs. An easy way to make it look like there's lighting is to take a soft brush, size 200ish, and put the flow onto 20%. Then click above the head once or a couple of times. If you don't know what I mean just dm me or something.

also i think your sig for berocka was the best thing youve made

Do you use photoshop? I'd suggest downloading Topaz labs. If not I'll hook you up with photoshop if you want.

Edited by Nykonax

i'd also believe that jersey swap, although logo seems a little big. Take the heal tool or something like that and just cover the under logo, then place your new logo.

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=66923

^ decent guide if you can stand the horrible formatting

52 minutes ago, Nykonax said:

1. Render placement is weird. It feels a little small. A tip from gorlab was to place it so the top of the helmet is off the screen, kind of like whats going on in your lefthand sig

I don't hate this part, though you're the second one to mention it.

52 minutes ago, Nykonax said:

2. Render looks out of place, it's too bland for what's going with the rest of the background. I'd play with levels/curves and get some more changes to it.

Yeah, I wasn't sure what exactly to do with it. I tried something (see below) but here it didn't really work.

53 minutes ago, Nykonax said:

3. Your text looks like one layer where you typed "Jared Spaz" and just pressed enter after Jared. Make multiple text layers so you can move the words closer together.

It is in fact one layer. I'll keep thi s in mind.

53 minutes ago, Nykonax said:

4. The effect on the text doesn't really fit in with the rest of the sig, although it is kinda cool

Agreed on both counts.

54 minutes ago, Nykonax said:

5. Maybe move the render close to the middle, it's usually a good idea to have the eye drawn to the render and since it's off to the left the main thing im looking at is the big Spaz in the middle

Same as #1, I personally don't care about it but I'll change it up in the future.

55 minutes ago, Nykonax said:

6. The background and the diagonal stock thing is cool, i like it.

I actually made all the background and other stuff myself ?

56 minutes ago, Nykonax said:

7. Dunno whats going on with the glove and pants, it's like there's something overlaying it thats making it look off colour.

I just recently discovered layer masks and that's what's going on here. The render is duplicated, with the bottom layer getting all the effects that I put on the background stuff, while parts of the top layer have been made various degrees of transparent. I thought it would work a bit better than it actually did.

1 hour ago, Nykonax said:

8. Try adding some lighting to your sigs. An easy way to make it look like there's lighting is to take a soft brush, size 200ish, and put the flow onto 20%. Then click above the head once or a couple of times. If you don't know what I mean just dm me or something.

I tried a few things in that regard. The top left corner is colored in white with some opacity on it, and I've also put in an admittedly shitty "light source" behind the render.

1 hour ago, Nykonax said:

Do you use photoshop? I'd suggest downloading Topaz labs. If not I'll hook you up with photoshop if you want.

I'm on Gimp right now but wouldn't mind a good photoshop...would have to work on Mac though as that's what I'm stuck with using.

I think the jersey swap was actually pretty good.

My main issue with this sig is that the background, the text and the render don't really match together. Using similar colours on your sig will make it look better and more coherent. Usually your render should dictate the colours you are going to use.

I also agree that you should make your future sigs smaller or use a bigger render. You have a better sense of placement than most people but your sig still feels pretty empty.

Gimp is pretty decent for a free program but I agree if you can get your hands on photoshop, it will instantly improve your graphics.

4 hours ago, gorlab said:

I'm sorry Gustav I can't be constructive, only destructive. It's why I get permabanned on sim leagues.

What about giving me a personal attack that makes me never want to make a graphic again?