Team Asia Prepares for the WJC

Erik Summers

Team Asia Prepares for the WJC

Image result for asian union flag

Administrative changes have shaken up the Team Asia front office. With Greg on his way to lead Team Europe, Asia has announce GM Erik as his replacement. While most of staff will stay the same, a change at the top always brings uncertainty and excitement.

The new GM announced a press conference to discuss the future of team Asia in the upcoming Juniors tournament, but first he held a series of internal meetings. At the presser, he was asked what he discussed with the rest of the front office staff at these closed-door meetings.

"I wanted to get on the same page as the rest of the organization. I think it is important for a new GM to arrive with a vision of the future but also with open ears to correctly assess the situation at hand." He continued. "I think the overtime loss to Canada six years ago broke the spirit of this team in a way. Every season, it is clear that it is going to be an uphill battle for a region like Asia. We simply don't have as many players playing hockey as in other parts of the world. I still believe that we can put together excellent play on the ice. However, it does make those close losses that much more bitter when you know it will likely be years before you get another crack at it."

When asked about his predecessor Erik responded, "The Bronze Medal was very successful outcome for the limitations that last year's roster provided. I think GM Greg was deserving of a shot at running Europe. That being said, if they have to go through us, Greg and Team Europe aren't making it to the Goal Medal game this year."

Reporters tried to ask questions about Erik's doppelganger on team Europe but were unsuccessful, with the new GM shutting down the press conference as soon as it was mentioned.

From the presser, Erik hopped on a plane to go watch HC Davos playing the Helsinki Titans. Why he felt so strongly about seeing this particular game, no one knows, but he didn't get to watch Team Asia winger Jerry Wang in action. It was a slow night for Wang, but against the defensive juggernaut that is Helsinki, that isn't a surprise.

Caught after the game, Erik commented about how impressed he has been with his Wang's performance and he looks forward to seeing what it can do against other young competition. "I intend to shine a spotlight on the often overlooked talent that is produced in this continent." He continued. "That is going to take creative lines, aggressive strategies, and a superior level of discipline. I believe Wang is the type of disciple I've been looking for."

Erik again evade reporters when they began asking questions he wasn't interested in answering. This time, those questions revolved around the rumors that he had been scouting defenseman to play wing in a strange new offensive strategy. "I'm not going to comment on strategic details or lines at this time." Was the only comment Erik gave before flying back to the Team Asia front office.

It is time to get to work, and this version of Team Asia will definitely have it's work cut out for it. How will this brand new GM perform under the pressure? Will Erik be able to motivate a team to success? Only time and ice will tell.