WJC/WC Reform

Nykonax

No one really cares about the WJC (although new members do), and hardly anyone cars about the world cup, partially because it’s just another meaningless tournament, there isn’t any reward for it, and hype isn’t built up about it. It certainly needs a change to be better. I’ll break this down into 3 sections, general improvements, then improvements for each tournament

General:

Add a rulebook - A rulebook would outline all the procedures, activity rules, eligibility rules, and process of the tournament. Some people were at 345 tpe before the WJC tournament started, but it had been announced, but it took so long that when the tournament actually started they weren’t eligible for it anymore, which leads into my net point

Add a schedule - Let members know when these tournaments are, and stick to it. It’s a crapshoot for when the WJC will be announced and the timeline for it, and the World Cup is always scheduled, but it never actually is done on time, always starting 3 days late.

Add a commissioner -  The WJC is a revolving door of commissioners, and I have no clue on who can actually make a change to the WJC format, all they do is hire GM’s and that’s about it. No idea who runs the World Cup either. By adding a commissioner someone is responsible for the tournament, and members can bring concerns/suggestions to them. I would definitely do this, and also have experience as the IIHF Commish of the SHL ;)

VSN Partnership - VSN has already kind of done this but getting something official would be nice. Like articles on the history of the WJC, ranking historical WC teams, etc.

Make Nation Important- On the portal when creating a player tell new members that they nation they choose matters, and give them a breakdown of each nation, what positions they need, medal history, etc.

WJC:

Change the Tournament Format - Add more games, and make it double elimination. Your team isn’t out after 1 bad sths crap game, you can still go on and win as the underdogs, and everyone loves a good underdog story. Heck my best time on the site was S63 Ottawa in the win vs. Yukon

Make Eligibility/Line Rules - GMs have to play actives, actives must be higher in lines than inactives. Players can play out of position if it means getting more actives on the team. The WJC should be about the players.

Add a mini theme week - Players under 350 TPE or in the WJC can receive 1 uncapped TPE for doing a vhl.com article or graphic about the tournament. Brings in hype and attention to the tournament

World Cup:

Change Tournament Format - More games, make the medal rounds Bo3 and Bo5 for the finals

Theme Week - Since it’s every 2 seasons a theme week on the World Cup during off-season wouldn’t be bad. Could be 1 uncapped for a PT, 1 uncapped for a VHL.com, and 1 uncapped for both.

Pick’Em/Predict the Score - Self-explanatory

IIHF Fantasy - Pick a player from each nation and earn based off their stats. It wouldn’t be in a league, everyone just assembles their team and the best person wins 3 uncapped, the top 40% wins 1 uncapped. Everyone else can get 1 capped or something

IIHF Rankings - Earn points based on your position in the tournament, and track those points, or maybe institute an Elo system. It would add meaning to the tournament if you were actually playing to climb the rankings ladder.

@Beaviss

Going to read over this. Have read some. At this point, we are/I am looking to add more permanent fixtures for the WJC. I'm tired of running it - don't have the time and yeah. Busy guy on here and in real life so there things that I can push off on others and help them succeed with it is much my forte here. Both @rjfryman and @Acydburn we'll be steering the ship moving forward as of right now (along with me lurking as a very minimalistic figure in the background) and have been in discussion to bring in some of the changes you also messaged such as a schedule, VSN partnership (which is slowly building - which is great to see. It'll take time for sure!), the commissioners (as mentioned) and some of the other things you mentioned such as rankings, rulebook etc are already things for the WJC that I brought to life when I rebooted the tournament. 

Always looking at ways to build hype and agree that not many care about WJC. I can't imagine the amount of interest will go up too much as it's a heavily specific tournament for players etc. I would like to improve the experience though for those who are going through it and that when it's your time, it does add a little bit of fun to the career experience type of thing. 

7 hours ago, Nykonax said:

WJC:

Change the Tournament Format - Add more games, and make it double elimination. Your team isn’t out after 1 bad sths crap game, you can still go on and win as the underdogs, and everyone loves a good underdog story. Heck my best time on the site was S63 Ottawa in the win vs. Yukon

Make Eligibility/Line Rules - GMs have to play actives, actives must be higher in lines than inactives. Players can play out of position if it means getting more actives on the team. The WJC should be about the players.

Currently WJC GM of Europe and last season Asia so I can speak to some of these points that I don't agree with or that are already being done.

I don't think the tournament format needs to change, look at this season of the WJC. Asia was the underdog and now they will be playing in the finals. It is a good underdog story and it happens often in the WJC.

For Eligibility/Line Rules: This is already a rule and is already happening. We cannot pick inactives and the commissioners will go over every roster selection to make sure we only picked active players. We are asked by the commissioners to only pick active players. Once all active players are picked then we can take an inactive or two but they will usually play on the lower line. Asia/World also get to pick from the other teams rosters so this helps with having all active players in the range play.

7 hours ago, Nykonax said:

Some people were at 345 tpe before the WJC tournament started, but it had been announced, but it took so long that when the tournament actually started they weren’t eligible for it anymore

This is not true, Rosters are selected when the WJC tournament is announced. If a team picked someone that was at 345 but by the time the tournament started they went up to 352, those players were still eligible, they would just be at the TPE when the tournament was announced so 345. This happened this year with Guy Sasakamoose (Team Canada). He was under when selected but over when the tournament started, he still played just at the lower TPE

43 minutes ago, Greg_Di said:

This is not true, Rosters are selected when the WJC tournament is announced. If a team picked someone that was at 345 but by the time the tournament started they went up to 352, those players were still eligible, they would just be at the TPE when the tournament was announced so 345. This happened this year with Guy Sasakamoose (Team Canada). He was under when selected but over when the tournament started, he still played just at the lower TPE

I talked to muff about this and he said he wasnt eligible. So I dont know. But I'll take your word for it

• Commissioner
2 minutes ago, Esso2264 said:

MAKE NATIONALITY MATTER

Funnily enough it did before we added the WJC in. We never allowed nationality changes before that but then everyone was massed on USA and Canada so we decided to allow changing. The WJC directly created the issue.

1 hour ago, Greg_Di said:

The one thing that I think should be added though is TPE for the winners?

3 TPE for Gold

2 TPE for Silver

1 TPE for Bronze

ya i like this aswell, but then the argument "rich get richer" and blues hate that. That's why I suggested the other TPE stuff like fantasy

Discussion in the World Juniors HQ etc has been pretty healthy. I think next season we're going to be running things a lot smoother and the members are going to have updated information and more access to said info. :D bang bang @Nykonax

4 hours ago, Nykonax said:

I talked to muff about this and he said he wasnt eligible. So I dont know. But I'll take your word for it

I was over 350 by the time it started. I think they picked a day when they built the eligibility list and everything was based on that date.