The Other Funk: Unsung Heroes of Mississauga, Part the Second

Gustav

Editor's Author's Note: This guy wrote an article about me, but I'm not "returning the favor." I'd actually started writing this a couple days ago, so this is from the heart rather than just some sappy thank-you.

Dramatic flashback to S66! I'd been here a season, had just been named GM of the Mississauga Hounds, and I had absolutely no clue what I was doing. So, that makes it even more of a miracle that every single player we drafted went up to the VHL (ok, fine, there's one who didn't, but I wrote this part out before I realized that so I'm keeping it), giving us a 100% graduation rate (again, not really. But a good draft nonetheless, and I'm stubborn enough that I'm not changing anything). 

Enough of that long-winded intro; let's get into another long-winded intro. Some of you drafted between S66 and now may have been sent a long-winded message when you first joined the site, asking a few things about you and letting you know that I could help you out and was looking forward to watching you in the draft and all that. These days, I do it approximately whenever I feel like it, sending stuff to some people sometimes and not caring enough to do it for others. But back in the days of my first season, I'd message (almost) EVERY player who created before the draft--the first-gens to see what's up and the recreates to see if they wanted to play for any other team in particular (or, at least, "would you be offended if I drafted you" at a basic level, which is a very newbie question to ask). This may have helped me, may not have, but that's beside the point.

Anyway, I was doing my usual "stare at Discord and do nothing" when I noticed that one of the players who had just joined the site and sent me a prompt and comprehensive response had also just joined the league Discord. Great sign. So I went back and took a look at his player and saw that he'd put a few claims in, and had reached 36 TPE. Another promising sign. So, I moved him up the draft board at the last minute (he was the 52nd-ranked player on our board) and dumped the board off to my AGM at the time, @Radcow, who I had making the selections as I wasn't around that night.

mact.gif?w=1000

Radcow destroys the hopes and dreams of the S66 Hounds with his asinine draft choices (2019, colorized)

(Just kidding, we've already established that our draft class was great)

I got back from where I was that night (actually had the time during it to stop and pick up Hulk Hogan myself at the end of the second round, but that's about it) and took a look at who we picked up and where. We did well--I had every player individually ranked, and though I'm unsure whether or not my rankings were followed exactly, every selection we made was of a player who I had ranked higher than their actual selection in the draft. This included Cody Smith, who I had as our #15 but who we picked 33rd overall, Chett Bandy, ranked #35 put picked at #55, and Scott Greene, the guy I had ranked at #52 but who we managed to snag at 66th. 

Who's Scott Greene? Some of you may know @DoktorFunk as "that Patrick Star guy who wrote a fanfiction about Hulk Hogan and HHH," and others may know him as "that guy who occasionally drops into Discord to yell 'yeet' and spam emojis." Anyone who's played with him, or had the pleasure of being with him in the locker room, though, knows exactly what I'm talking about when I say that he's super intelligent, has a great sense of humor, and would be worth a choice in any round by virtue of personality. I consider him very much an unsung hero as, not only is he less well-known than he should be (he's the only active first-gen from the S66 Hounds to not currently hold a GM or AGM position in the VHLM, despite applying to many, and Greene hasn't lit up the scoreboard enough to be seen on league highlight reels), but he has in spite of this proven to be an active and valuable contributor to the league community, being an integral part of the first team to ever grace the Hounds' locker room not only on the ice but off it as well, and quietly but steadily going (in the words of a certain hedgehog-y member) "super saiyan TPE whoring mode" behind the scenes--Scott Greene is over 700 TPE in his third season and I don't even know if he or DoktorFunk is an instantly recognizable name around the league.

Though he's been known pretty much wherever he goes as "The Other Funk," as super-active member @Rayzor_7 has followed him wherever he's been so far, DoktorFunk doesn't deserve to be overshadowed. Get to know him, get to know Greene, and keep an eye on his future, because this former 6th-rounder was 100% worth it.

Edited by GustavMattias

1 hour ago, GustavMattias said:

Though he's been known pretty much wherever he goes as "The Other Funk," as super-active member @Rayzor_7 has followed him wherever he's been so far, DoktorFunk doesn't deserve to be overshadowed

Not my fault I'm just that much better ?

8 hours ago, GustavMattias said:

Some of you may know @DoktorFunk as "that Patrick Star guy who wrote a fanfiction about Hulk Hogan and HHH," and others may know him as "that guy who occasionally drops into Discord to yell 'yeet' and spam emojis."

If I had to only be known for a couple things, I'm okay with these. ?