Star Wars IX Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Gustav

Who here has seen the last Star Wars? I've just seen it. Figured I could start a discussion thread so we could keep the spoilers off of Discord.

Edited by GustavMattias

20 minutes ago, DilIsPickle said:

Honestly a great movie. Didn’t expect it to be good

It's probably going to take another watching to determine my opinion. Some parts were really cool, some parts seemed a bit too forced. Overall a solid movie but I'm not yet sure I'm happy with it as the final one.

57 minutes ago, GustavMattias said:

It's probably going to take another watching to determine my opinion. Some parts were really cool, some parts seemed a bit too forced. Overall a solid movie but I'm not yet sure I'm happy with it as the final one.

They brought in Abrams late, and that’s why you can see how the later end of the movie is far better than the start where they go on a scavenger hunt and somehow everything works out really well to find the way finder.

People are gonna pick it piece by piece but I think it’s great overall. Best of this trilogy and better than the prequels. 

1 minute ago, DilIsPickle said:

They brought in Abrams late, and that’s why you can see how the later end of the movie is far better than the start where they go on a scavenger hunt and somehow everything works out really well to find the way finder.

People are gonna pick it piece by piece but I think it’s great overall. Best of this trilogy and better than the prequels. 

I think overall it was a lot more supernatural and ghost-y than any of the others. I didn't particularly like that aspect but the other guy I watched it with loved it.

1 minute ago, DilIsPickle said:

*falls into random pit when finding clue*
*random pit somehow has the clue lying on the floor*

This also bothered me; it was way too much of a cliché movie moment to be a good point in the plot.

I did really like how the whole "characters falling in love" thing didn't take over the entire story. That was a big mistake made in the last one and led to my opinion of it being significantly lowered.

1 minute ago, GustavMattias said:

I think overall it was a lot more supernatural and ghost-y than any of the others. I didn't particularly like that aspect but the other guy I watched it with loved it.

This also bothered me; it was way too much of a cliché movie moment to be a good point in the plot.

I did really like how the whole "characters falling in love" thing didn't take over the entire story. That was a big mistake made in the last one and led to my opinion of it being significantly lowered.

One thing I hate is... if Rey felt chewys presence on Kylos massive destroyer, why couldn’t she have felt if he was in the other really tiny ship before announcing his death .-.

6 minutes ago, DilIsPickle said:

One thing I hate is... if Rey felt chewys presence on Kylos massive destroyer, why couldn’t she have felt if he was in the other really tiny ship before announcing his death .-.

You know what, I'm going to start putting stuff in spoiler tags.

Spoiler

This wasn't too bad. She knew he was there at least, and visual evidence leads one to believe he died. Knowing he was there wouldn't have been a surprise if she were getting those vibes then.

Something I did really appreciate about this was a lack of a "cute" mass market-able character--in episode 7 there was BB-8 (who I didn't find obnoxious but was still a short and more "lovable" robot than it could have been and for that reason got hyped up) and in episode 8 they had those stupid little hamster animals (whatever they were called, I don't care. I just want to punch one). Here they stayed out of it, and that's good.

Also, I realized that Finn has never actually accomplished much in any of the movies, besides just being there. I don't dislike him but for how much of a main character he is you'd think he'd do a bit more.

5 minutes ago, DilIsPickle said:

@GustavMattias I love the nostalgia stuff tbh, I almost cried when I saw Luke’s x wing or when she went back to tatooine

Hope I did the thread thing right.

I'm fairly neutral on the nostalgia thing, I've only watched the movies within the past few years so I didn't really grow up on the stuff. Probably just didn't have the same meaning for me as it did for other people.

They definitely felt the backlash from VIII and basically pretended it never happened. Pretty sure you could never watch that movie and not miss anything going from VII to IX.

The problem with modern Star Wars is the fact that there is now almost 50 years of additional lore/cannon and everything else involved. Everyone loves the original trilogy because there was nothing else - the OT was Star Wars. Now there have been so many other movies, games, books, etc.. that the lore is so involved now that you either have to have the movies go full Star Wars nerd (and lose the casual fan base) or just stick to what people know and like (the OT). In this one, they very, very heavily handily went to the original trilogy. 

This movie wasn't bad, wasn't great, and was enjoyable. I'm not sure if I'd say it's better than VII straight up, but if I'm grading it on a curve (having to recover from VIII and everything involved in that) it might be. 

Not including any of the standalone films, I'd rank them:

4, 5, 3, 6, 7, 1, 9, 8, 2

I need to re-watch 9 again when it comes out on Bluray and might switch it with 1, but it's just a lot to process right now. 9 goes from 0 to 100 30 seconds in and doesn't really slow down.

I enjoyed it, it's not a perfect movie but certainly leagues better than 8.  I haven't seen 7 in a while but I think it's at least on par with that.  I can see it being polarizing to the SW fan base though.

Coming from an EU and canon Megafan this movie was shit. 4/10 only good parts where the action and visuals. Story was ass. Better than the last jedi but not by a whole lot.

5 hours ago, Beaviss said:

Coming from an EU and canon Megafan this movie was shit. 4/10 only good parts where the action and visuals. Story was ass. Better than the last jedi but not by a whole lot.

I'm still not entirely convinced that Disney won't wait a few years and then try to ram another trilogy down our throats. I thought 7 was good, 8 was shit, 9 was ok, but it's a dead horse at this point and if they try to keep beating it, anything else they do with the franchise will just force it farther downhill.

18 hours ago, Beaviss said:

Please dont call yourself a megafan. You literally read movie spoilers before going into it and ruined it for yourself. Not to mention reading reviews which clouded your judgement and swayed your opinion. A real fan would form their own opinion by watching the movie, not piggy backing off of the norm.

2 minutes ago, DilIsPickle said:

Please dont call yourself a megafan. You literally read movie spoilers before going into it and ruined it for yourself. Not to mention reading reviews which clouded your judgement and swayed your opinion. A real fan would form their own opinion by watching the movie, not piggy backing off of the norm.

not sure if existing copypasta or the newest copypasta

27 minutes ago, Beaviss said:

That's some fresh pasta

7 minutes ago, GustavMattias said:

@GustavMattias Please dont call yourself a megafan. You literally read movie spoilers before going into it and ruined it for yourself. Not to mention reading reviews which clouded your judgement and swayed your opinion. A real fan would form their own opinion by watching the movie, not piggy backing off of the norm.

Just now, Beaviss said:

@GustavMattias Please dont call yourself a megafan. You literally read movie spoilers before going into it and ruined it for yourself. Not to mention reading reviews which clouded your judgement and swayed your opinion. A real fan would form their own opinion by watching the movie, not piggy backing off of the norm.

@flyersfan1453 Please dont call yourself a megafan. You literally read movie spoilers before going into it and ruined it for yourself. Not to mention reading reviews which clouded your judgement and swayed your opinion. A real fan would form their own opinion by watching the movie, not piggy backing off of the norm.

• Commissioner

What the fuck happened in this thread lol.

I'd have given this one a B. The story was good, not amazing... everything else was about an A for me. 

Also @Beaviss EU is dead so go away :P Anything not old republic was trash anyways.