Unsung Heroes – The Defensive Defensemen of the VHL

JeffD

Unsung Heroes – The Defensive Defensemen of the VHL

There is no doubt about it in my mind… defense may win championships but offense wins adoration. This is no more obvious in this sport than in the case of the defensive defenseman. While they aren’t going to get too much notice around the league because of their lack of scoring they are willing to put their bodies on the line game in and game out in order to keep the puck out of their own team’s net. In this article I will be highlighting some of these players to get them the recognition I believe they deserve.

Image result for rob scuderi la kings

Name: Seabass Perrin @Sebster03

Team: :PRA:

Shots Blocked: 146 (2nd)

Hits Given: 157 (35th)

Seabass Perrin of the Prague Phantoms may be the most evident case of a defensive defenseman in the Victory Hockey League. Drafted 17th overall by the Prague Phantoms in the VHL draft he has played a strong defensive role since day one with the team. Although he does have some skill on the offensive side of the puck he combines his great skating ability with his penchant for getting in passing and shooting lanes to make himself one of the better defensive players in the entire league. Some people do say that adding more of an offensive flair to his game would greatly increase his value to his team there is no sign that this is the way he is moving with his training as he continues to improve in his own end. Look for Perrin to be near the top of the shots blocked rankings for the duration of his career.

Image result for willie mitchell la kings

Name: Tony Bolonee @Tbeez99

Team: :dav:

Shots Blocked: 112 (21st)

Hits Given: 182 (27th)

While his shots blocked numbers may not be quite as impressive as the aforementioned Seabass Perrin there is no doubt that Tony Bolonee is out on the ice every night putting his body on the line. He ranks a very respectable 21st in shots blocked and 27th in hits given among all players while playing for one of the worst VHL squads in recent memory. Despite the fact that the HC Davos Dynamo’s games haven’t had much meaning when it comes to the playoffs almost since day one Bolonee continues to go on the ice and throw himself around with no worry for his own health. If the Dynamo can improve going forward I have no doubt that someone like Bolonee could be a solid defensive piece for a contending team.

Image result for kris russell calgary flames shot block

Name: Ricky Johnson @Midnite

Team: :dcd:

Shots Blocked: 111 (23rd)

Hits Given: 154 (38th)

Ricky Johnson has been a staple on the DC Dragons blue line this season. I have already seen him mentioned as an unsung hero elsewhere but that doesn’t change the impact he has had for that team. Ricky Johnson was drafted by the DC Dragons with the 18th, one pick after Seabass Perrin, and has proven to be a great pick in the second round for the Dragons. While, much like Perrin, some critics have said that they would like to see Johnson focus on the offensive side of the puck in his training there is no doubt that his defensive style is appreciated by his teammates. His selfless style of play has earned him respect around the league.

-560 Words-