Unsung Hero of the VHL: A commish’s Choice

Beketov

• Commissioner

You’d think having over a week to come up with this, and only need to write 150 words on it, I would have been more prepared. Yet here I am on Sunday night without having narrowed down exactly who I think the VHL’s unsung hero is. There are frankly too many options. However I’m determined to pick a single person so god damnit that’s what I’m going to do!

In my opinion the VHL’s greatest unsung hero is @Will. Sure, many sing his praise so maybe he’s not “unsung” but certainly under appreciated for how much he has truly done.

Obviously recently he has taken to mostly portal duties but I don’t mean to make that sound like nothing. I truly believe the portal to be the league’s absolute best commodity. Discord has made discussion easier for the people who don’t like the forum structure and simming has become a lot more consistent but the portal is the greatest thing we have honestly ever created. Instant (Basically) updates, automatic game posting, career stats kept up to date; I could go on and on. He has basically automated every pain in the ass job the league has had. Obviously @Josh and @DilIsPickle have been helping out lately and it’s greatly appreciated but honestly the portal is Will’s baby. Devise and I kinda came up with the initial concept and look but we never dreamed Will would run with it this much.

That got long winded enough that this could have been an MS but I’m still not at my main point, the part fewer people know. When I was hired to the blue team it’s because @Higgins was basically holding down the fort by himself (kudos for that) and needed help. Will had gone basically MIA and things were not looking good. Anyone who was around at the time can attest that my first 6 months to a year as blue were not the cleanest. We were drowning and bailing as fast as we could but frankly we couldn’t keep up. Re-enter Will. Not only with the portal but just the veteran blue presence to bring some level headed ness and stability that we needed to weather the storm and get to where we are now, the biggest period of growth the league has ever seen. Had he not come back I don’t think we would have made it.

So, I tip my hat to you Will and I owe you a beer if we ever do meet. You saved the league’s collective ass more than most people remotely give you credit for. 

• Senior Admin

Wow thanks for the shout! 

It's funny to think back to the very early days where we had lots of automation ideas that I didn't think were really going to be realistic given my limited coding skills. When I started working on the Portal I had 1 Intro to Programming class that I had taken in first year university and 0 web development experience. I just took it one project at a time and learned a heck of a lot over time, and I still am.

It's obviously made much easier by the fact that I enjoy it and view it as a hobby but it goes to show that anyone can learn to code if you put some time into it. 

• Senior Admin
8 minutes ago, Higgins said:

Some say @JardyB10 would still be simming if updates and lines were automatic like they are now

Not sure people who haven’t touched STHS realize just how shit simming was for 60 seasons before this

Christmas in the Harbour? 

• Commissioner
33 minutes ago, Higgins said:

Some say @JardyB10 would still be simming if updates and lines were automatic like they are now

Not sure people who haven’t touched STHS realize just how shit simming was for 60 seasons before this

Honestly I don’t think people realize how shit simming is now and I have maybe 10% of the workload that you and Jardy and all the former summers had. I press a couple of buttons and everything is updated and all the players are created. I can’t imagine spending hours manually creating players.

1 hour ago, Higgins said:

Miss that man

3 hours ago, Beketov said:

Honestly I don’t think people realize how shit simming is now and I have maybe 10% of the workload that you and Jardy and all the former summers had. I press a couple of buttons and everything is updated and all the players are created. I can’t imagine spending hours manually creating players.

VHLM season start made me lose my mind many times making all those 30 TPE ghosts

4 hours ago, Will said:

Christmas in the Harbour? 

would never miss it

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, Higgins said:

VHLM season start made me lose my mind many times making all those 30 TPE ghosts

You didn’t have to make them 1 by 1 in STHS at least right? Like you could make it in excel to at least have all the attributes as a simple copy.

• Senior Admin
1 hour ago, Beketov said:

You didn’t have to make them 1 by 1 in STHS at least right? Like you could make it in excel to at least have all the attributes as a simple copy.

Nope, 1 by 1 - I didn't figure out auto-creation until it was on the Portal.