Seattle comeback stings Nolan and NY [1/2]

studentized

1 minute and 21 seconds left in the third period of game 7. New York rookie Aamon Grim is called for a slashing penalty with his team up 3-2. "Just kill a penalty. We knew there was going to be a big challenge left before finishing the game. We just had to kill it". And NY almost did. For the next 27 seconds they held the Seattle Power Play without a shot, forced an icing, and forced then pulled goalie Rayz Funk back into the net. Then another penalty. A hook by Konstatin Mulligan. "That one irks me", Nolan said. "But that's home ice I guess. Crowd was loud and the refs aren't looking to cause a riot in Seattle. I think it was a weak call but that's why you fight for home ice. It probably doesn't get called in NY, no".

New York was now looking at a 6 on 3 situation. And it proved as hard as it sounds. The score didn't hold up and Scott Greene tied it up with 31 seconds left. Just 31 seconds. 31 seconds that left New York still short handed. "I'm pretty sure I blacked out at that point. Just felt defeated even though the game was still tied". New York would survive into overtime, and even successfully kill off the rest of that penalty to start OT. But they couldn't get it done in OT all series. "As much as you try to stay positive, losing the past 2 overtimes and the one in triple OT, it just adds that whole feeling of 'here we go again'". And again it went for Seattle. The big free agent signing Dan Wilinsky seals it for Seattle, the crowd goes wild and the once wild run for New York ends with a whimper.

"Careers are so short in the VHL, so you really need to make the most out of every opportunity you get. That's why this stings me so much. People will probably say that NY should just be grateful for getting here, forcing a game 7 against some of the best players, but it's all bull to me. It was an even series the whole way. Just needed to pull it together for 31 more seconds." 

So what are the positives? "We now know what we are capable of. We aren't a rebuilder, we are a contender. At the beginning of the year, you probably say this is as close to a best case scenario as imaginable. I don't see it that way now obviously, but maybe I just need some time to escape this off season." As a team, New York is now entering their prime. Six S68 players are entering the final year of their rookie deal: Lance Flowers, A Red Guy, Owen Nolan, Keven Foreskin, Frederik Elmebeck and Ryo Yamazuki II. Those are cap savings they will probably never get again anytime soon so it should be interesting to see what they do.

For now, New York can only just sit back and watch Seattle vs Vancouver in round 2. "Go Vancouver, I guess", Nolan mumbles as he exits the locker room.

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Seattle comeback stings Nolan and NY [1/2]