RFA Discussion and Suggestion

Beaviss

Should RFA's be a thing?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

PLEASE READ THROUGH THE POST BEFORE VOTING

This is a combo of my thoughts on RFA as well as @Rayzor_7's thoughts and thread he created that you can find HERE.

*yes im stealing some text from his post so I can make this quicker to write out*

• Rookie: A player in their 1st, 2nd or 3rd season after being drafted (considered as entry-level period)
  • Prime: A player who is not eligible to be on a Rookie contract and is not regressing. (Seasons 3-8)

Rookie Contract Structure:

Rookie Contracts must be a minimum of 1 season, and a maximum of 3 seasons.
If the contract is only 1 or 2 seasons long, the rookie will be considered a restricted free agent.
If the contract is 3 seasons long, the rookie will be an unrestricted free agency at the conclusion of the contract.
If a rookie is not offered a contract by the start of the UFA discussion date, they will become able to talk to other teams about a contract.
If a rookie contract concludes while the player is still eligible for RFA, their new contract must continue to abide by rookie rules for any seasons where they are still RFA eligible.

Easy Version:

Your ELC as a rookie would be either

1/2 seasons - go to RFA (you can resign with your drafted team if you wish)

3 seasons - go to UFA

RFA Rules:

Two ways to go about this;

1.    Teams may offer contracts up to the end of your rookie phase (1-2 seasons) and the team that holds your rights may choose to match that contract and if they do so you will receive that contract with your current team.

OR

2.    Teams may offer contracts up to the end of your rookie contract (1-2 seasons). If you choose one of their contracts over your current teams offer, then the team that holds your rights will receive the following compensation;

Under 300 TPE - Second Round Pick

301-500 TPE – First Round Pick

501-700 TPE – First Round and Second Round Picks

701+ TPE – Two First Round Picks

If the rookie at the conclusion of a 1/2 rookie contract decides to search for a new team they and the team would have the following options.

A. Arbitration

Salary Arbitration is a tool available to players to settle contract disputes involving contract length and salary. There are certain rules and restrictions to applying for salary arbitration.

For a player to apply for salary arbitration, you must do so during the final season of your current contract, or before the Entry Draft of that off-season. In order to apply for arbitration, please PM a commissioner.

• A team may take a player to arbitration. If a team is unable to reach a contract agreement with a draftee, they can take that player to arbitration at any point from the time of the draft to the start of the regular season by submitting a PM to the commissioner.
  • A salary arbitration ruling will be determined by the commissioners and will be based on TPE, activity, team composition, and other factors
  • A salary arbitration deal can only be a one year contract unless both parties agree otherwise.

B. Holdout

• Any player who elects to hold out will not be eligible to play in either the VHL or VHLM until they have signed a VHL contract
  • If the player is a draftee, the team that has drafted their rights has the ability to take them to salary arbitration
  • The team holding the player’s rights has the ability to trade their rights to another team if they cannot reach a new contract
  • If the player already has a contract signed they will have to sit out their contract if no deal can be reached
  • A player with a signed contract that elects to holdout will not have their contract count against the salary cap
  • A player may end their holdout at any time
  • Holdouts will be monitored by the commissioners to ensure that both parties are working towards a productive conclusion. If one or both parties is not working towards a conclusion, additional steps may be taken at the discretion of the commissioners.

C. Compensation

• If a team and a player cannot come to a conclusion and don't seek arbitration they can seek a contract with another team via free agency
  • If the player signs a free agency deal they would receive compensation via draft picks from the team that signs said prospect
  • The draft picks must be your own teams picks, you cannot use other teams draft picks as compensation
  • If the Team that holds the players rights chooses to match the contract offered from another team they can retain the rights of the RFA under that contract.

This is just a suggestion and in no way is a league rule change. This is meant to start a discussion regarding RFA and if the VHL might want to go this route instead of the current 3 year mandatory ELC.

Just now, HulkHogan said:

I like the idea of RFA's however I dont like the tpe to picks that's suggested there

very fair what are your thoughts on the TPE amounts as compensation?

Just now, Peace said:

It should. 

Why is this league so against extending player careers? 

Gotta leave and push the boundaries of a comfort zone some time!

a career is already almost 1.5 real life years. It would also break the record books.

Just now, Beaviss said:

a career is already almost 1.5 real life years. It would also break the record books.

So extend it when we switch engines then I guess. (And slightly shorten seasons)

Edited by Rayzor_7

2 minutes ago, Peace said:

It should. 

Why is this league so against extending player careers? 

Gotta leave and push the boundaries of a comfort zone some time!

Just now, Beaviss said:

Just now, Rayzor_7 said:

So extend it when we switch engines then I guess

1.5 years to dedicate to a single character feels looonng, and you wouldn't want to force people to keep updating stuff they're bored with for years just to be able to compete for some record books. 

As a general comment towards this discussion, I would leave career lengths and the lack of RFA as-is, but make the rookie contracts only 2 seasons long so people aren't spending like 40% of their career under one contract.

9 minutes ago, Enorama said:

As a general comment towards this discussion, I would leave career lengths and the lack of RFA as-is, but make the rookie contracts only 2 seasons long so people aren't spending like 40% of their career under one contract.

another good option.

21 minutes ago, HulkHogan said:

Maybe just a bump of 50, not really sure howmuch tpe people have by their second years though it would be nice to see averages 

Like bump down the TPE 50 each and up the compensation? I agree 

17 minutes ago, Enorama said:

make the rookie contracts only 2 seasons long so people aren't spending like 40% of their career under one contract.

I love the idea of making the max rookie deal 2 seasons. If we go the RFA route, then I think all players should be RFAs after their initial rookie contract is up. Maybe have the maximum deal to a RFA be 2 years as well.

I think all the holdout arbitration stuff is a little unnecessary, at least until money has more value in the VHL.

4 hours ago, DMaximus said:

I love the idea of making the max rookie deal 2 seasons. If we go the RFA route, then I think all players should be RFAs after their initial rookie contract is up. Maybe have the maximum deal to a RFA be 2 years as well.

I think all the holdout arbitration stuff is a little unnecessary, at least until money has more value in the VHL.

I agree with this. I like the idea of rookie contracts being shorter, lets you have more fun with signing and FA. 

Arbitration is unnecessary and I think could add way to much work for people and also delay an off season if it can't be solved. Just my 2 cents though.

9 minutes ago, Berocka said:

Arbitration is unnecessary and I think could add way to much work for people and also delay an off season if it can't be solved.

Arbitration would not delay the offseason as it would be done before start of regular season. The longest delay you'd get is 24 hours and that would likely result in the player missing 2 games, not the league waiting for it.