Ranking the S62 draft class (sort of) [1/2]

Big Mac

So I did this last time, but with the S61 1st round, and this time I’ll just be ranking them until I feel not like ranking the players. So the rules are pretty simple to this, if they're not in the portal I’m not ranking them plain and simple, so without further ado here we go, and yeah one last things they will either be ranked  **good**, **bust**, or **steal**. So with all that being said I’m going to list them all, and not by tpe order it will be by draft order. 

1. Leph Twinger - So this one to rate is hard for me, but anyways I’m going to jot down a paragraph here... So twinger honestly came out of the gate as a promising player with a career high 116 points, and as a 50+ goal scorer, and when you look at those numbers you gotta thing this guy is a future league leading scorer, and honestly we can give him a pass on that one since during this season almost every good player happen to played like a generational talent. So while literally everyone (almost) in that season had their career, and even then the following season he's 60+ pts worse, and that’s not the best thing to hear about the 1st overall pick and a 100+ point scorer, and following that, Twinger had a pretty good career, and while he never scored more than 74 pts, he could usually be seen as a reliable player, and when he transitioned to a defensemen he really had good flashes of 'wow maybe he could’ve dominated in this position for his whole career', and this one is hard for me to say what he'd be ranked, I mean obviously he can’t be a steal, but considering the guys that went after him, he’s a **bust**.

2. Maxim Kovalchuk - So already at the 2nd pick we get a player better than the first, and the good players keep flowing, but anyways let’s talk about Kovalchuk. While banackock is my team rival, I will try my best to use 0% bias and 100% facts. So Kovalchuk obviously ended up being a star center for most of his career (he transitioned to defense), and he actually had more points in the S62 season then Twinger with just 1 more point, and in case anyone forgets that means he had 117 points. Unlike Twinger however he didn’t plummet massively for the rest of his career,  and I said the rest of the career because the next 2 seasons he only had 60 points, and I say only cause he just dropped 117 points before so go figure, but Kovalchuk wasn’t gonna keep falling down, and in S65 he had a crazy season getting his first 200+ hit season, and 88 points, and a crazy 70 assists which was enough to get him the beketov trophy, and while he never did get any trophies after this, (except for 1 more in S68 which isn’t a personal trophy) Kovalchuk finally got the cup in S68, and he was great for a guy who switched to defensemen, and honestly I could see a reason for him winning the best defensemen of the year that season. Overall Kovalchuk was a really solid player, and I’ll have to say he’s a **good** pick. 

3. J.H Crimson - So basically this pick is the toughest of the top 3 to grade, and on the outside when just looking at tpe you might be confused, but wait till you see what this guy accomplished, in just a short time I’m sure you’ll be surprised, and if you don’t believe lemme show you. Basically Crimson is a goalie, so obviously he benefited the least out of all the S62 rookies in the top 3 of this draft, so basically Crimson had a rough year, he continued to be a solid backup though, and though he didn’t play a single playoff game in S64 he still has his name on the cup, and even if he didn’t play, as a goalie that’s a massive accomplishment, and I think if he did play he would be a really solid playoff backup goalie, and the following year he definitely proved why he deserved to be the 3rd overall pick, and he was actually top 3 in wins and SV%, and top 5 in GAA, (in S65) so he was a great goalie, and to make things greater Crimson ended up winning the cup, and the playoffs mvp, and if that doesn’t make a goalie good enough with 1 cup, now he had two cups, and then he ended up joining Malmo for 1 last season, and while he had the most losses, compared to a guy like Roger Sterling he was still pretty good, and if he was on Sterling's team he'd probably be the goalie of the year, and then he ended up retiring. Then it makes me think ok he had a really short career, but considering what he did for his team he’s still a good pick, so all things considered he’s a **good** pick. 

4. Rauno Palo - Palo what do I have to say that hasn’t been made known to us, he’s the expierence god, he’s the highest tpe earner of the draft, and in S67 he swept up the awards, but let’s talk about this. Palo was obviously a very recent memory as he was very dominant in a lot of stages in his career. So let’s talk about him, and basically Palo had a pretty bad S62 year considering the stats that year where juiced, but in modern vhl he'd be around rookie of the year numbers, so that’s not half-bad I guess. Palo would continue to struggle heavily for the following 2 seasons staying in the 40 point range, and he did come near to 50, but couldn’t hit the mark, and then Palo had the 66 point season, and it looked like a really good turn around, and it was. The following season Palo turned it up with his 1st ever point per game season, and following that season he never failed to put up point per game numbers, I guess you could say he was a star just by that statistic, and he was as the following season he dropped a whopping 110 points, and still couldn’t capture any awards, and then the season happened, Palo had decreased in points, but this was his season where he dropped 105 points, and took home the Cup, the Beketov trophy, The Slobodozian, The Campbell, and The Zkatowski trophies, and dominated the VHL. The next season was his last, and he had a great season considering the season was low scoring for everyone, in which he had 74 points, and his only season where he didn’t play for the team that drafted him. All in all I’d consider him a **steal**, and that’s mainly due to the fact that he should’ve been the 1st overall draft pick. 

5. Vesto Slipher - Slipher is a guy who honestly could’ve had a really solid VHL career, but he didn’t have the long term abilities of some other players, so let’s talk about that. Slipher who was drafted 5th overall, he had a bad rookie season, and just like Palo though if it was in the modern VHL he'd be a rookie of the year nod, and with all that considered Slipher was a really reliable guy moving forward, and he never really ever panned out into stardom, and the other things that most stars develop into. Though we should talk about his career... Though between him and Palo at first it actually looked like Slipher could’ve had the upper hand had he had gone on tpe tears, and stayed consistent with the player, especially considering that he was very clutch in S63 with 8 game winning goals, and he was a solidified 30 goal scorer, which definitely doesn’t hurt, and he just missed out on 60 points during that season as well, which definitely wasn’t bad for him considering the prior year. He continued to gradually grow fairly well as he then put up 64 points with 32 goals and a 32 assists as he started to play more like a playmaker, and he definetely remained as a clutch player with 6 game winning goals as well. I also forgot to add in that S63 season he had a +32 ?. Then in S65 he finally was nowhere close to a Palo, and was still really good though, and he had 74 points for his first point per game sadly however he never played again. Vesto Slipher honestly could’ve been a good pick, but considering he never hit point per game until his final season I have to lean towards the **bust**. 

6. Dan Montgomery - Montgomery was a very solid defensemen, though mainly offensive he was still very good, and the seasons where he was great defensively made him even better, and while he never had an award sweep he was still very good, he was long term and was a quality player. Honestly for a defensemen in a juiced season 55 points isn’t bad, but it could be better, and he offered some good talent still as the following season he was well over a point per game with 85 points, and that wasn’t even a career high believe it or not, and he just got better overall as the previous season he was -50, and he ended up the following with a -9. The next season however Montgomery did disappoint as he worse in nearly every category than his rookie season, but the next season he showed up with exactly 10 points more, and showed why he was a 1st round pick, and not only did he improve offensively he had his best defensive season, and he ended up staying with Helsinki, and then Montgomery went on to have a monstrous 90+ point season, and he ended up getting a cup, and he also got the Valiq trophy. He ended up having three fairly good successful seasons though his last two where his worst, and he never left the team that drafted him, which just shows his loyalty and management loyalty. Without a doubt in my opinion he’s a **good** pick. 

10. Jake Davis - So two things yes I did skip over the rest of the 1st, and that’s because both of those guys would be labeled as busts, (not including ryuu crimson), and I also wanted to end the MS with a bang, so let’s talk about Davis. Davis out of the gate had a decent rookie season considering how juiced S62 is with nearly a point per game, and while he couldn’t get the rookie of the year award, he was better than a few 1st round picks in his draft, and already looked like he had a promising future, and he definitely didn’t disappoint. Davis would end up being traded, and while he ended up having a better season, I strongly doubt the Toronto gm regrets it considering they ended up winning a cup that season, and with 84 points you could just tell that this Davis kid was going to be one of the best of his era. The next season he dropped a career high at the time with 101 points, after being traded once again, and he even had his 2nd short handed goal that season which he rarely ever got in a season. Davis ended up having another monster season with 104 points, but couldn’t get any awards, but he didn’t seem to slow down at the time, and then he actually ended up slowing down... He ended up having 89 points the following season which was not Jake Davis 100 point scorer speaking, and Jake Davis 100 point scorer just almost spoke once more until he fell just short of 100 points when he landed 98 with his 3rd 40+ goal scoring season, and that was his last point per game season sadly. The following and final season of his career he had 54 points, and while he wasn’t great he was still a reliable player, and that was his final and last season, and considering this he should’ve without a doubt been a top 3 pick (maybe a bit of doubt), and considering that he’s a **steal**

Well those where my S62 draft class rankings which will have me load for a few weeks, and I hoped you agree with me, and I think we can all agree that in hindsight this draft class is nearly underrated, and there are even more guys I didn’t talk about for example Shawn Glade and Roctrion King who still had pretty good careers to say the least, and that’s all I have. 

(2119 words; claimable for 4 weeks)

members tagged: @DollarAndADream, @Banackock, @Donno100, @jRuutu, @Hybrid1486, @BarzalGoat, @Josh

Review: awesome retrospective of an impressive draft class. I’m a relatively new VHL member so it was fun to learn about these players. the draft is my favorite part of sim leagues so i love the analysis and the steal / bust perspective. wish there were more photographs and career stats presented in a clearer format. 

4 hours ago, chillzone said:

Review: awesome retrospective of an impressive draft class. I’m a relatively new VHL member so it was fun to learn about these players. the draft is my favorite part of sim leagues so i love the analysis and the steal / bust perspective. wish there were more photographs and career stats presented in a clearer format. 

Happy that I could teach you some other then the fact that Kovalchuk actually transitioned from D to C so you might wanna add that fact 

Review:

Great blog-style and deep look at the S62 busts... I mean class. It was very long in length however I would have still liked to see a little more in terms of presentation. Better titles and a couple of pictures in there, but regardless the content quality and effort was definitely there. Great idea ranking the players steal, bust, or good. It was a great read and you've definitely earned your 4 weeks to claim it! Great job @Big Mac

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Ranking the S62 draft class (sort of) [1/2]
  • 3 months later...
On 1/14/2020 at 8:27 PM, Big Mac said:

3. J.H Crimson - So basically this pick is the toughest of the top 3 to grade, and on the outside when just looking at tpe you might be confused, but wait till you see what this guy accomplished, in just a short time I’m sure you’ll be surprised, and if you don’t believe lemme show you. Basically Crimson is a goalie, so obviously he benefited the least out of all the S62 rookies in the top 3 of this draft, so basically Crimson had a rough year, he continued to be a solid backup though, and though he didn’t play a single playoff game in S64 he still has his name on the cup, and even if he didn’t play, as a goalie that’s a massive accomplishment, and I think if he did play he would be a really solid playoff backup goalie, and the following year he definitely proved why he deserved to be the 3rd overall pick, and he was actually top 3 in wins and SV%, and top 5 in GAA, (in S65) so he was a great goalie, and to make things greater Crimson ended up winning the cup, and the playoffs mvp, and if that doesn’t make a goalie good enough with 1 cup, now he had two cups, and then he ended up joining Malmo for 1 last season, and while he had the most losses, compared to a guy like Roger Sterling he was still pretty good, and if he was on Sterling's team he'd probably be the goalie of the year, and then he ended up retiring. Then it makes me think ok he had a really short career, but considering what he did for his team he’s still a good pick, so all things considered he’s a **good** pick. 

btw I think you mixed up JHC's name. JH's last name is Carison. Crimson is a not as successful player who's first name is Ryuu lol

Edited by SlapshotDragon