Community opinions on improving the player store.

Peace

• Commissioner
Just now, Erik Summers said:

Can you mind explaining the fallout? Obviously, I have only been here a few months, so I could be missing something. Individual players won't be penalized for relying on essentially free TPE, however, teams will be not be able to support the contract needs of several free TPE dependant players at the same time.

I would look at it like this. In contract negotiations, the player that already earns the cap each week will accept a minimum contract because he has nothing to gain from a larger deal.

However, if a player doesn't plan to cap out every week, he can negotiate a higher contract in order to pay for free weeks to cover the difference, the more free TPE the player intends to use, the larger the contract they will have to try to get.

And if he can’t negotiate that higher contract or the team doesn’t want to pay it then he’s just SoL and basically forced out of the league for not having enough free time to devote to PT’s. Also not everyone who uses welfare uses it exclusively. Some people just have busy weeks or months.

Welfare is basically required in a modern sim league. People are just too busy otherwise. We aren’t all 16 anymore like we were when the league was young and things were easy.

11 minutes ago, Erik Summers said:

Can you mind explaining the fallout?

Basically what bek said up above, a lot of longtime members rely on welfare as their primary source of TPE, as most people work jobs and have families to worry about. As cool as having everyone produce content would be the league would have a significant fall off in participation because people just genuinely would not have the time.

54 minutes ago, Beketov said:

And if he can’t negotiate that higher contract or the team doesn’t want to pay it then he’s just SoL and basically forced out of the league for not having enough free time to devote to PT’s. Also not everyone who uses welfare uses it exclusively. Some people just have busy weeks or months.

Welfare is basically required in a modern sim league. People are just too busy otherwise. We aren’t all 16 anymore like we were when the league was young and things were easy.

Speak for yourself, old man

• Commissioner

I think Bek mentioned that the store doesn't scale prices but that's something we could definitely look at. A purchase that provides bonus uncapped TPE could be limited to 1/Season and then have it's price scale as you continue on in your career or by the # of times you purchase it.

can we please change the system on how to earn TPE please. I don’t want to write essays all the time this game is supposed to be fun not writing 24/7... so ya, thank you 

Just now, jared said:

can we please change the system on how to earn TPE please. I don’t want to write essays all the time this game is supposed to be fun not writing 24/7... so ya, thank you 

That one's going to get you roasted lmao, that's a complete reimagining of what sim leagues are

1 hour ago, jared said:

Chief I regret to inform you that this take is simply not it

I don't believe in making Store items cost less but we should surely increase the amount of options. 

For that reason - I had a bit of thought about this and even if this is probably impossible I want to try this as an option.

What about getting boosts?

What do I mean by that?

Well, think about it this way, you are a middle of the road team and you have a player who is willing to be better for a playoff run or help his team make playoffs, he is getting all the TPE he can and still, player feels he can do a lot better. There is a solution - For X amount of Money you can then buy a temporary (20 game,10 game or 5 Game) boost on either Offensive skills(Scoring, Skating, Puck Handling) or Defensive skills(Defense, Strength and Checking). It has to be debated on how much it actually adds but what it would mean is that a player with enough contract money could become more clutch by buying these packages.

I am not sure if this is a possibility or how much maintenance it would need, but at least for me it sounds a more interesting idea than just giving chances to buy TPE.

15 hours ago, Erik Summers said:

It would be a total rework of two systems, but here is my proposal.

Step 1.

Eliminate Pension/Welfare

Currently, many player's primary source of TPE is for doing nothing but claiming it each week. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but we need to eliminate this source of free TPE to make the a new source attractive.

The Cons

• I don't know, that's why I' posting it here, because I think I have all the answer. Prove me wrong.

For starters, you'd probably lose half your active player base lol

2 minutes ago, frescoelmo said:

For starters, you'd probably lose half your active player base lol

I honestly don't understand. They would still get their TPE, they would just get it through the player store instead of welfare.

3 minutes ago, Erik Summers said:

I honestly don't understand. They would still get their TPE, they would just get it through the player store instead of welfare.

Confirmed you don't understand

6 minutes ago, Erik Summers said:

The difference is that the VHL is a point task based league. You earn TPE by doing point tasks, and welfare can replace a point task. Very basic, but you get the idea.

There are other sim leagues that are primarily based on money. You earn money based on how long your article is or something like that. You then spend that money on training per week, as well as contract money i believe.

They are different types of leagues. In my opinion, the VHL requires more consistent work, but not necessarily more work, while the money based leagues require more work overall, but less consistently. 

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, FrostBeard said:

I don't believe in making Store items cost less but we should surely increase the amount of options. 

For that reason - I had a bit of thought about this and even if this is probably impossible I want to try this as an option.

What about getting boosts?

What do I mean by that?

Well, think about it this way, you are a middle of the road team and you have a player who is willing to be better for a playoff run or help his team make playoffs, he is getting all the TPE he can and still, player feels he can do a lot better. There is a solution - For X amount of Money you can then buy a temporary (20 game,10 game or 5 Game) boost on either Offensive skills(Scoring, Skating, Puck Handling) or Defensive skills(Defense, Strength and Checking). It has to be debated on how much it actually adds but what it would mean is that a player with enough contract money could become more clutch by buying these packages.

I am not sure if this is a possibility or how much maintenance it would need, but at least for me it sounds a more interesting idea than just giving chances to buy TPE.

As I mentioned in here before temporary boosts are something I’ve always been against because of the amount of manual work required to process and maintain them correctly across hundreds of players. The portal likely helps a bit but ultimately it’s still a complex procedure to make sure that everyone who should have the boosts does and that they come off when they are supposed to which is not necessarily something that can be automated.

I’ve always thought and I still think that temporary boosts aren’t worth the headaches they’ll cause.

• Commissioner
12 hours ago, Josh said:

I think Bek mentioned that the store doesn't scale prices but that's something we could definitely look at. A purchase that provides bonus uncapped TPE could be limited to 1/Season and then have it's price scale as you continue on in your career or by the # of times you purchase it.

That would potentially be interesting though not exactly what I meant. I meant that the depreciation fighters for example aren’t cheaper if you have less TPE and thus less benefit from them. I’m torn on whether or not something like that would be beneficial.

1 minute ago, Beketov said:

As I mentioned in here before temporary boosts are something I’ve always been against because of the amount of manual work required to process and maintain them correctly across hundreds of players. The portal likely helps a bit but ultimately it’s still a complex procedure to make sure that everyone who should have the boosts does and that they come off when they are supposed to which is not necessarily something that can be automated.

I’ve always thought and I still think that temporary boosts aren’t worth the headaches they’ll cause.

I can see that being an issue, that is why I asked. I do believe that one thing we cannot do - we should not allow people to buy Straight TPE amounts as we are not that kind of league. We value activity and ability to contribute in some way. 

That being said - Bek, change your profile picture finally. 

I'm sure this would require a lot of coding to make happen, which is why it won't (well that and maybe it's not that good of an idea), but I wanted to expand on the equipment idea I had earlier. I think we could release new equipment each week. The equipment could be randomly generated buffs, like in a range of +1 through +3, nothing too overpowered, maybe even have a negative -1 to -3 stat. There could be a weekly blind auction for equipment, everyone gets a chance to enter 1 bid for an item, if you bid the highest, you win it. Minimum bid could be $500,000. We can have something like up to 3 pieces of equipment at a single time, equipment expires after a certain amount of time.

• Commissioner
8 minutes ago, FrostBeard said:

I can see that being an issue, that is why I asked. I do believe that one thing we cannot do - we should not allow people to buy Straight TPE amounts as we are not that kind of league. We value activity and ability to contribute in some way. 

Need to change my signature too but I’m usually on mobile and don’t think to do it. I’ll get around to it eventually... or just keep living in the glory days.

In any case I find it interesting that people want to buy straight TPE. As I think flyers pointed out, the store was more or less set up that way years ago and people got annoyed that it was designed so simply, they wanted more to it than just “buy the most TPE you can”. It’s funny how cyclical things become. I agree with you though, I don’t like buying straight TPE. I don’t mind the uncapped packages because you at least need to put the work in for those.

3 minutes ago, DMaximus said:

I'm sure this would require a lot of coding to make happen, which is why it won't (well that and maybe it's not that good of an idea), but I wanted to expand on the equipment idea I had earlier. I think we could release new equipment each week. The equipment could be randomly generated buffs, like in a range of +1 through +3, nothing too overpowered, maybe even have a negative -1 to -3 stat. There could be a weekly blind auction for equipment, everyone gets a chance to enter 1 bid for an item, if you bid the highest, you win it. Minimum bid could be $500,000. We can have something like up to 3 pieces of equipment at a single time, equipment expires after a certain amount of time.

That creates the exact same problem as above but on an even larger scale. Also, +3 is definitely not a minor buff in some instances. For stats above 95 that’s equivalent to 30 TPE. I also don’t like adding more randomness. The lotto is bad enough for this. People doing the same thing should get the same reward IMO.

15 minutes ago, FrostBeard said:

This thread is so confusing...

"We can't give people TPE for money, because we value activity."

"We can't do anything that would anger the people who don't have time to be active because they are the core of our players."

This is what makes changing anything so complicated. 

Just now, Erik Summers said:

This thread is so confusing...

"We can't give people TPE for money, because we value activity."

"We can't do anything that would anger the people who don't have time to be active because they are the core of our players."

This is what makes changing anything so complicated. 

I don't think it is that confusing Erik, in my eyes - Activity is the key to survival here and by that I mean forum activity. Giving TPE from Store would take that away. But at the same time, a hug e part of this league are people who can't write lengthy articles so giving them opportunity to still enjoy and be a part of this community is great. 

For Store, the most important thing is to offer options, options that make sense for a buyer to choose. 

6 minutes ago, FrostBeard said:

I don't think it is that confusing Erik, in my eyes - Activity is the key to survival here and by that I mean forum activity. Giving TPE from Store would take that away. But at the same time, a hug e part of this league are people who can't write lengthy articles so giving them opportunity to still enjoy and be a part of this community is great. 

For Store, the most important thing is to offer options, options that make sense for a buyer to choose. 

Is posting +5 in the welfare thread once a week really forum activity? Wouldn't a button that allowed them to buy 5 TPE for $200,000 instead of doing a point task that week have the same effect?

Edited by Erik Summers

1 minute ago, Erik Summers said:

Is posting +5 in the welfare thread once a week really forum activity? Wouldn't a button that allowed them to buy 5 TPE for $500,000 instead of doing a point task that week have the same effect?

Well, but think about it this way - you start off with 1.5 mil. You can buy 15 TPE a season. That would mean people probably would stay in VHLM for significantly longer time.  Okey, having less money for TPE package would fix it but that would not make sense as we are NOT a money league anyway. We should not allow that.