S69 Hall of Fame Induction

Beketov

• Commissioner

SIktWHF.png

As is League tradition, every off-season the VHL presents it's Hall of Fame induction. This season the BOG has decided to go back to it's old method of inducting 2 players per season and we welcome 2 first ballot players in the same season!

D9T11yr.png

C - Podrick Cast, S61-S68 :rig::mos:

RS: 576 GP, 379 G, 467 A, 846 P, 345 PIM, 487 HIT, 222 SB, 59 GW

PO: 35 GP, 8 G, 24 A, 32 P, -4, 19 PIM, 24 HIT, 17 SB, 1 GW

S61 Christian Stolzschweiger Trophy (Top Rookie)

S62 Scotty Campbell Trophy (Most Valuable)

S62 Brett Slobodzian Trophy (Most Outstanding)

S62 Mike Szatkowski Trophy (Most Points)

S62 Kevin Brooks Trophy (Most Goals)

S64 Scotty Campbell Trophy (Most Valuable)

2x All-VHL First Team (S62, S67)

2x All-VHL Second Team (S63, S64)

One Continental Cup (S63)

@Victor's pedigree in the VHL Hall of Fame is nothing to scoff at and today he adds yet another player to the already impressive list. Drafted 3rd overall in S61 Cast made it his mission immediately to prove that the two selections before him were mistakes. He went to work immediately with 97 points in his rookie season, more than enough to nab himself the Stolzschweiger Trophy as the league's top rookie. From there Cast refused to slow down, scoring 174 points in his sophomore season; a point total unheard of in modern day VHL standards where scoring in general is on the downturn. This season would prove to be his best but by no means did Cast slow down. He would amass 846 points in total, the most of his draft class, as well as 1635 TPE, also the most in his class. One of the most prolific players the VHL has seen in 69 seasons Cast enters the Hall of Fame as a first ballot choice with a near unanimous vote.

LW - Matt Thompson, S61-S68 :sea::hel::mal:

RS: 576 GP, 422 G, 403 A, 825 P, 769 PIM, 1,827 HIT, 446 SB, 74 GW

PO: 65 GP, 45 G, 53 A, 98 P, +7, 71 PIM, 254 HIT, 31 SB, 4 GW

S62 Scott Boulet Trophy (Top Two-Way Forward)

S62 Dustin Funk Trophy (Most Improved)

S64 Brett Slobodzian Trophy (Most Outstanding)

S64 Mike Szatkowski Trophy (Most Points)

S64 Kevin Brooks Trophy (Most Goals)

S64 Scott Boulet Trophy (Top Two-Way Forward)

S65 Scott Boulet Trophy (Top Two-Way Forward)

S66 Kevin Brooks Trophy (Most Goals)

S66 Scott Boulet Trophy (Top Two-Way Forward)

S68 Scotty Campbell Trophy (Most Valuable)

S68 Brett Slobodzian Trophy (Most Outstanding)

S68 Mike Szatkowski Trophy (Most Points)

S68 Kevin Brooks Trophy (Most Goals)

4x All-VHL First Team (S62, S64, S66, S68)

2x All-VHL Second Team (S63, S65)

One Continental Cup (S66)

Throughout 8 seasons playing together it was rare to see mention of Cast without comparing him to the other inductee for this season: Matt Thompson. The 10th player from the @Beketov agency, Thompson was drafted first in S61and the rivalry with Cast was instantaneous. Like Cast, Thompson's strongest season was the high scoring S62 where he managed 150 points after having a mediocre rookie season in S61. Unlike Cast Thompson preferred to score rather than pass and amassed 422 goals over his career, good for 4th place all-time with only S10 and below players having scored more. Thompson also made it his goal to play both sides of the puck resulting in 4 Scott Boulet awards including 3 consecutively from S64 to S66. Despite never winning the Kanou award for playoff MVP it was also Thompson's playoff performances where he truly shined, even with only 1 continental cup. With 98 playoff points in only 65 games Thompson managed an astounding 1.5 PPG in the playoffs. 400+ goals, 800+ points, and an award cabinet that would make almost any player jealous made Thompson an easy and unanimous choice for the Hall of Fame this season and he once again does something alongside Cast as they both enter the Hall of Fame. 

Vote

Matt Thompson - 12/12

Podrick Cast - 10/12

Sebastian Ironside - 2/12

Tyson Kohler - 0/12

Jakab Holik - 0/12

Astrid Moon - 0/12

Keaton Louth - 0/12

Jasper Canmore - 0/12

Oyorra Arroyo - 0/12

• Commissioner
Just now, Banackock said:

Cast > 

Even in here the comparisons can’t end :P

Cast had more points, Thompson had better playoff numbers and defensive stats. We could compare all day but ultimately the pair defined the generation together. Only fitting they go in together.

Just now, Beketov said:

Even in here the comparisons can’t end :P

Cast had more points, Thompson had better playoff numbers and defensive stats. We could compare all day but ultimately the pair defined the generation together. Only fitting they go in together.

Joking aside, Thompson > imo by quite a bit. Very close points, tons more hits, GWG’s and the awards seems to be bigger. Etc 

GG to both. 

Based on stats alone, Kohler should get more consideration, but the fact that he only has one career award (according to his portal page at least, I didn't check elsewhere) really hurts him.

• Commissioner
Just now, Victor said:

Awwwh thanks babe, congrats too.

Cast was a classic case of getting worse as he earned more TPE, not that I can complain too much.

Thompson got better as time went on (taking out the abnormality that’s is S62) and Cast got worse, was a weird scenario. Kept us pretty much neck and neck the whole time though. Was a fun rivalry. I don’t think I’ve ever gone so much tit for tat against a single person in the VHL before.

8 hours ago, Corco said:

Based on stats alone, Kohler should get more consideration, but the fact that he only has one career award (according to his portal page at least, I didn't check elsewhere) really hurts him.

yea playing in an era with Max Molholt and Zach Parechkin would do that.

• Admin
11 hours ago, monkeywrench15 said:

Lucky you. King was better then Clegane and got voted worse than him in one of the polls

You better be talking about Sandro or I will fight you.

(King did completely deserve an honourable mention, that was an unintended omission on my part)

13 hours ago, monkeywrench15 said:

Lucky you. King was better then Clegane and got voted worse than him in one of the polls

I honestly never expected Ironside to have consideration. I know he was pretty good, but in my own eyes I was never going to pick him over one of the other nominees. People in the BoG started throwing his name in the pot, and it was only then that I realized he could possibly be in the HoF one day.

12 hours ago, Victor said:

You better be talking about Sandro or I will fight you.

(King did completely deserve an honourable mention, that was an unintended omission on my part)

Yeah I meant Sandro. I went back and looked at stats and the only stat I think he beat me in was shutouts and I can recall it being about 4-5 between us