Why I stepped down from Davos GM

ShawnGlade

So as I'm sure everyone saw my post this morning about how I was stepping down from my role as GM. I promised a thread airing everything out about it and well, here we go

So something I wanna clarify first is that it wasn't my decision to leave. I was told that I needed to step down by Monday or else I'd be fired from my role, so it was a move to save face I guess. About a week and a half ago, I was contacted by a certain blue telling me that this was my official warning and that if my performance and activity dont change, im done. So guess what? I did improve both of those. Over the past week I improved my activity greatly, and even made my team much better, or at least in a better position to succeed in the future. Then yesterday I get a DM from said blue telling me to step down. Tell me how on earth it's fair that I get a warning, and I respond by doing much better, and still getting canned? If they fired me outright 2 weeks ago, fine, that's fair. But it's an absolutely bullshit move by the BOGs to drag it out and give me a chance to redeem myself if they were going to fire me anyways. Fuck the BOGs

So my activity has been a hot topic of debate. "If yoU DoNt hAvE tIME tO ruN a TeaM ThEN sTeP doWn." I had time to run the team, and I arguably did. I had trade talks, talked to a few draftees, was active on the forums (as evidenced by around christmas time) and stayed active because i had a player lighting up the vhlm so of course i stayed to see how he did. Everyone likes to say how I dropped off the face of the earth but that's completely not true. I'll admit I wasnt AS active as I once was, but i was still logging on daily and being apart of the community, so another fuck you to the BOGs there

If you don't know the story of how I spiraled downhill, originally I had gotten a bit burnt out of the league as one does. Then I sprained my ankle, then I got a concussion, then I went home for the holiday season. All this, and I STILL managed to keep busy with GM work and such. I'm not using this as a sole excuse, but it definitely contributed to me logging in less. So no, I was not inactive as the BOGs made it out to be. Fuck you

The moral of this article is that being a VHL GM is a thankless job. Nobody starts conversations about someone does a good job GMing, or how often people make solid trades. I made some slip ups and they were amplified for whatever reason. It's pretty stressful when the enjoyment of 15 other people rests in your hands, and then to have people tell you that you're doing a shitty job is so hard. Seriously, my efforts for the past 14 months have rewarded me with maybe like 60 TPE. Not once did I genuinely feel like people cared that I was GMing. There have been a handful of players I've GM'd who I'm gonna miss a lot and I loved having them, but a majority of players can go fuck themselves.

The point of this article isn't to start drama (ok maybe a little) but just air out how fucked up this all is. And maybe I become a heel and that guy that nobody likes on the site. That's fine, that's already how I feel when we have the dumbfucks on discord that nobody likes, but then they magically get important jobs, it's just ludicrous. I'm not playing the victim card and saying "oh everybody hates me give me attention meh" but there were genuinely countless times where I've questioned why I even continue to log in when people like that just genuinely make me wanna quit the site.

But, there are a few words I'd like to give out to some notable people during my tenure...

Beav - Genuinely my favorite GM, loved talking to you and making trades, but I think I've made my opinions on this very clear lately

Hedge - Another gem of a guy. Known you for what seems like forever and I always enjoy conversations with you involved

Bana - Boy do we have a rocky history, but at least we put it behind us sometimes

Enorama - Loved you when we played on Riga, but I think I've made it very clear how I feel about you now...

Devise, Quik - Didn't talk to you two much but you seemed cool

Nyko, Dil, Hogan, and the rest of your butt buddies - You guys were actually the reason I considered quitting the site. I don't see how you guys can be so universally unliked yet still be thriving on this site. I want you to know that there are actually people reading this right now that can't stand you guys and I know for a fact that people have quit and requested trades because of you guys.

BladeMaiden - Looks like I'm joining you in the "everyone dislikes them now" category. Always love shootin the shit with you about dumb VHL stuff haha

Anyways thats all, have fun with this

Edited by ShawnGlade

34 minutes ago, ShawnGlade said:

The moral of this article is that being a VHL GM is a thankless job. Nobody starts conversations about someone does a good job GMing, or how often people make solid trades. I made some slip ups and they were amplified for whatever reason

262e1f6ee25abe80cd6e95a499f63563.png014c5a6d76ae031573f7943af1315ea7.png63538324ea6556a71daaeee0d9a18c64.png

weirdchamp. I've probably said more things in Davos LR but not in there anymore. Sure I said stuff like "bad trade" but you haven't done different.

26838c5e0f0434f749a12307588b6957.png

Your trades were bad, and almost seemed at the point of getting your own player a cup over Davos. The fact that you traded him to and from davos multiple times for not so good offers amplifies that.

50 minutes ago, ShawnGlade said:

So my activity has been a hot topic of debate. "If yoU DoNt hAvE tIME tO ruN a TeaM ThEN sTeP doWn." I had time to run the team, and I arguably did. I had trade talks, talked to a few draftees, was active on the forums (as evidenced by around christmas time) and stayed active because i had a player lighting up the vhlm so of course i stayed to see how he did. Everyone likes to say how I dropped off the face of the earth but that's completely not true. I'll admit I wasnt AS active as I once was, but i was still logging on daily and being apart of the community, so another fuck you to the BOGs there

Didn't see you on discord, or drafts, or even remotely caring about Davos after S65 or so. The fact you missed 2 drafts and couldn't even bother to hire an AGM or make a list or suggest a time that works for you is kind of crazy, and when I think of stuff that makes it seem like a GM doesn't care about his team it would be exactly that. With all your activity where is the survey? You didn't even say why it wasn't out until like 2 days ago in the GM chat, and didn't bother sending it to me when I offered to tally it up. It was obvious you didn't care for Davos or much of the league at all.

53 minutes ago, ShawnGlade said:

The point of this article isn't to start drama (ok maybe a little) but just air out how fucked up this all is. And maybe I become a heel and that guy that nobody likes on the site.

No one is saying they don't like you. People are saying Davos isn't good, you just taking it as people not liking you. People are saying you just weren't a good GM, which I don't think is true of early GMing career Shawn, but as the seasons progressed you definitely got lazier with it. You were cool to me from my time in Davos, and you as a person isn't what made me left, but it just wasn't working out on Davos with some of the decisions. I and many others in the VHL don't have any bad views of you.

56 minutes ago, ShawnGlade said:

Nyko, Dil, Hogan, and the rest of your butt buddies - You guys were actually the reason I considered quitting the site. I don't see how you guys can be so universally unliked yet still be thriving on this site. I want you to know that there are actually people reading this right now that can't stand you guys and I know for a fact that people have quit and requested trades because of you guys.

Listen, I hate Dil and Hogan as much as the next guy but this simply isn't true. One person requested a trade because of me and it was Gaudette. I don't even think I'm universally unliked, although maybe we'd figure that one out if the survey was published. Dil has also contributed a lot to the site, as much as I hate to say it, and can be annoying at times, but that's just personalities clashing. You want to name some people who have quit the site because of us? I feel like it's bullshit

29 minutes ago, Nykonax said:

Your trades were bad, and almost seemed at the point of getting your own player a cup over Davos. The fact that you traded him to and from davos multiple times for not so good offers amplifies that.

im definitely not denying that you said some good things about some of my moves, however those screenshots are from the first like, month of me having you on davos. but the amount of times you said negative things far outnumbers the positive

30 minutes ago, Nykonax said:

Didn't see you on discord, or drafts, or even remotely caring about Davos after S65 or so. The fact you missed 2 drafts and couldn't even bother to hire an AGM or make a list or suggest a time that works for you is kind of crazy, and when I think of stuff that makes it seem like a GM doesn't care about his team it would be exactly that. With all your activity where is the survey? You didn't even say why it wasn't out until like 2 days ago in the GM chat, and didn't bother sending it to me when I offered to tally it up. It was obvious you didn't care for Davos or much of the league at all.

i guarantee you i was. and after s65, davos made the playoffs, twice, both with a stacked team that i had to construct. And I missed both drafts due to real life stuff. I tried to get it rescheduled but I was outnumbered so I just had to suck it up. If I have to explain all of this again, I'm gonna spaz. also i said i would send you the results but you never gave me an email to send them to, and i was in the middle of the arizona desert when chatting about it, i forgot about it

32 minutes ago, Nykonax said:

No one is saying they don't like you. People are saying Davos isn't good, you just taking it as people not liking you. People are saying you just weren't a good GM, which I don't think is true of early GMing career Shawn, but as the seasons progressed you definitely got lazier with it. You were cool to me from my time in Davos, and you as a person isn't what made me left, but it just wasn't working out on Davos with some of the decisions. I and many others in the VHL don't have any bad views of you.

I'm not saying nobody likes me, I'm saying more "maybe this is when i start being a douche and people start disliking me" I was cool to you in davos, you definitely irked me a bit but i generally kept a cool head, you cant deny that. And i didnt "get lazier" it was only this past season that I didn't do a whole lot, because i didnt really need to

34 minutes ago, Nykonax said:

Listen, I hate Dil and Hogan as much as the next guy but this simply isn't true. One person requested a trade because of me and it was Gaudette. I don't even think I'm universally unliked, although maybe we'd figure that one out if the survey was published. Dil has also contributed a lot to the site, as much as I hate to say it, and can be annoying at times, but that's just personalities clashing. You want to name some people who have quit the site because of us? I feel like it's bullshit

If there's any satisfaction from this, i dislike you the least out of this group. im not arguing that theyve contributed in a way, but not always the good kind (and that goes for anyone i guess, nobody is perfect) but you definitely deserve some of the distaste thrown your way

The fact that you havent sent a list, someone in your place, or attended any of these drafts tell me you did not even do any pre draft scouting. Being given the highest tpe “BPA” player is definitely not always who is actually the BPA player left, which you would know if you ever actually did draft scouting. As a former GM, this is the one that irks me the most, and it happened multiple times. If life makes you too busy to do even that, real life comes first obviously, but you cant be a GM. You had the entire pre draft process to do some scouting or find someone to come in and do it for you. 

Being a GM is not a thankless position, it is the most coveted position in the league with tons of applicants. Back in the day GMs werent even paid tpe because its all about the fun of beinf a GM, but we added tpe because ironically we didnt even have enough active people at the time to be a GM. If we removed tpe pay now I guarantee you the line of applicants would still be long. 

Flyersfan and me have been in this league for 8 years, and never once had done free agency until we were in Davos. Your GM strategical skills were poor or MIA in my opinion. But dont let that get you down, being a poor GM does not make you a bad person, and the fact that I am calling you that does not mean I dont like you (I like you). Weve had plenty of other members who didnt succeed as a GM before, but dont let that take away from your VHL membership as a whole. Use this as a learning experience and keep at it and maybe try to redeem yourself at GM someday.

PS you are really going to say FU to most of the players who played for you?

Just because @eaglesfan036 brought it up - I was going to free agency at some point with my player regardless of who drafted me or where I was drafted. And that's not 100% true that I've never done free agency before - I did it with Shayne, Bernie, and maybe Jeff - but they were all 2nd tier players.

1 hour ago, eaglesfan036 said:

Weve had plenty of other members who didnt succeed as a GM before, but dont let that take away from your VHL membership as a whole. Use this as a learning experience and keep at it and maybe try to redeem yourself at GM someday.

1 hour ago, eaglesfan036 said:

The fact that you havent sent a list, someone in your place, or attended any of these drafts tell me you did not even do any pre draft scouting. Being given the highest tpe “BPA” player is definitely not always who is actually the BPA player left, which you would know if you ever actually did draft scouting. As a former GM, this is the one that irks me the most, and it happened multiple times. If life makes you too busy to do even that, real life comes first obviously, but you cant be a GM. You had the entire pre draft process to do some scouting or find someone to come in and do it for you. 

Basically these points. I've never chirped at you (@ShawnGlade) for the person you are, what you've said, or anything of the like, until you missed two drafts. Missing drafts is ok if you have some kind of a plan to cover for it, but you cannot expect me to believe that you legitimately think that BPAing is better than making a list. Not to mention the fact that we discussed this year's draft date for a week and a half and everyone else was in agreement until you popped in three days before the draft saying that doesn't work for you.

1 minute ago, gorlab said:

Seems like shit went left for you when you vehemently defended Shane Mars for roty in S66. 

Hopefully you learn from such grave mistakes. 

I'll still fight you on that one gor. Come at me.

1 hour ago, flyersfan1453 said:

Just because @eaglesfan036 brought it up - I was going to free agency at some point with my player regardless of who drafted me or where I was drafted. And that's not 100% true that I've never done free agency before - I did it with Shayne, Bernie, and maybe Jeff - but they were all 2nd tier players.

Woops 

anywho we definitely would have ran it back at least one more season if we thought davos was going anywhere

Edited by eaglesfan036