S70 Philadelphia Reapers Preview

DMaximus

Season 69 ended in disappointment for Reaper fans and players as they lost in the 1st round of the playoffs to Halifax 21st.  They’ve used the offseason to let go of the past and focus on the upcoming season. We had an opportunity to sit down with the Reapers’ GM, Domini Maximus, to find out her thoughts on her tenure and what she hopes Season 70 holds for the Reapers.

Q: What was the mood of the team like in the locker room after the Game 6 loss to Halifax?

A: I think we were all shocked more than anything. We were confident in our abilities, we had a strong team, we expected to win. I mean we had an excellent record against them in the regular season. Having all that come crashing down was a shock to the system to say the least.

Q: A 2nd straight season ending in disappointment for the team. Are fans losing patience with you?

A: I’m not sure I can speak for all the fans. I think it’s natural for fans to want us to win immediately and consistently so I get where they’re coming from. I want the same thing myself. 2 seasons ago we missed the playoffs, last season we made the playoffs. There’s clear improvement there and based upon the buzz this team is creating around the city, I think fans are really excited for what’s to come.

Q: Talk about that buzz, why is there excitement?

A: Just look at the roster. We’ve got stars like Bud Knight @Dilly Dilly, Griff Manzer @Garsh, Richard Fitzwell @Tomato Soup, Kyle Andersen @Cusemode, Jack Russell @quanack, and of course our fantastic goalie Isak Sjostrom @Austin2997, all returning. We had a great draft where we were able to pickup an absolute gem of a player in Jared Spaz @Spaz and we were able to draft fan favorite Derek Eriksson @DirtyDerek back to our team. He’s poised for an all-star year. We were also able to add talent in the later rounds, like Xavier leFlamant @BarzalGoat, who I think will be called a huge steal of the draft in any historical review. And we got up and comers in Justin Goatman @Goatman and Xavier Hills @inflastud.

To add to that, we were able to make a trade for Damien Wolfe @Laflamme. He’s shown he knows what it takes to win it all in his last season with Saskatoon. We’re glad to his experience and proven toughness on our team.

And we just completed a free agent signing of defenseman Aamon Grim @aCrypticPancake. Adding Aamon to our team gives us amazing depth at defense, a position most in need in the league. With Aamon’s addition, I think we’re going to have the greatest defense in the history of the VHLM.   

Q: The greatest defense ever? That’s a bold statement.

A: Without getting too into the numbers, last season was the first season the cap was raised in the VHLM. Saskatoon has a great defense, but it was primarily 3 players, all who were at the cap for most of the season. We’re starting the season with 4 defensemen over the previous cap. By the midway point of the season we’ll hopefully have all 4 D men capped. That makes for the greatest D of all time, on paper at least. I’m sure the numbers will prove it out by the end of the season.

Q: After all that, what are your expectations for the team?

A: The way I look at it is, there’s things you can control and things beyond your control. I can’t control the way that other teams play. I can’t control the random bounces or outcomes we see over the course of a season. What we can control is how we operate. We control us showing up every day, working hard, and working together as a team to achieve a championship. I think as long as we focus on that, we’ll have a really good season.

Q: Anything you’d like to say to Reaper fans?

A: I’d like to thank everyone who supports this team. I think the fans already know we have a great roster made up of great players whom everyone can support. I’d say grab your friends and get ready to enjoy a fantastic season! Go Reapers!