Dead Idols

BluObieZ

I know you all are thinking it right now "He's not really going to do it, he's not going to say bad things about someone who died" Well technically what I have to say is not focused on Kobe Bryant, it's focused on this whole notion that when a famous person dies we all have to stop and be "sad" Well guess what? FUCK THAT. Sure  it sucks people died in a helicopter crash. But do you weep for the people on MH370 that were never found? how about the people shot out the air by Iran?  or the countless kids that die of hunger? Or all the people that die in general each and every day? NO? why the fuck not? are you some heartless fuck that doesn't care? No? No you think I am for thinking this and posting this. 

People these days feel more bad about these famous people that they idolize then people that are actually suffering. You sit in your houses and watch the endless feeds about Kobe. Like you did with the drummer dude and so on down that list. You look at people like me that don't care and wonder why. But the funny thing is I look at people like you and wonder why you care so much about some person that will never give you a second of their day. A person protects themselves with security so they don't have to deal with people like you. You mourn these people like they are gods and you are just some little nat that is so lucky to even breathe the same air that they are. 

No one says that Kobe's daughter died along side her father. No one says a great helicopter pilot died, or some great coach. It's Kobe and 8 others. It's Kobe, his daughter and 7 others. It's not promising 13 year old prospect and legend father and so on down the list. When I die I want it to read "Local asshole dies. Fuck Him" 

If you want to sit there and cry, if you want to leave flowers and all that sappy shit go ahead, do whatever you want, but you are just a little sheep that follows the trend just so you don't want to look or sound different. Out of fear that if you say "I don't care" you will be criticized for not feeling bad. Think about it. Lets play a little game. Pretend this was a real league. We were all real athletes and we had fan bases that loved us. Now imagine if some of us died in a plane crash. Not me because I am like a cockroach. Imagine the tons of people saying sorry and that the people were in their prays and shit. Awwwww how fucking nice huh? NO!  "but why Robbie?" Because, first of all god does not exist so you are praying to nothing. You are praying that these people are looked after by someone in a place that does not exist. Secondly the whole "Sorry" part is just something people say, it's the same thing as "RIP"  you don't mean it. You just say it so you don't look different. So you look like you care. But deep down you know they don't care. Their "sentiments" won't help fill the hole the deaths created. You don't read messages of sorry's to help you grieve. So why the fuck do we say such things? when we know if the tables were turned you wish the fake well wishers would fuck right off. You would replace the people you miss with the fake fucks in a split second. Hell (yes I said hell) I bet you anything if heaven and all that shit exists if the said famous person was asked "You can go back to living if you replace yourself here with one of your fans" They would do it in a heartbeat. They wouldn't think about it. They would just pick a random person and go back to their life while ruining others. You know you do it, if you the famous hockey player in  game of pretend we are playing here. The sorry ones would be replaced by the one people are feeling sorry for in a heart beat. It's life and as much as you want to ignore it, you know it's true. 

Edited by BluObieZ
Edited for violations

1 hour ago, tfong said:

I actually agree with @BluObieZ and was arguing this in discord yesterday even.

I 'kinda' agree with him, I stop around his religion rant (and finally added him to my ignore list). I'm not religious, but my god stop forcing your opinion on others like its fact through statements and just let people believe in what ever they want. It's Robbie though...

It's a shame a sports icon died, yes, but it's often (and this time greatly) exaggerated by the media and blown out of proportion in the news. What I mean is Robbie is right, the majority of the headlines aren't 'Nine killed in helicopter crash' as it would be if it weren't someone famous. It's all focused on an icon. "Icon and eight/seven others fatally killed in crash." 

If my favorite hockey 'icon' passed away, I'd be sad of course. I'd join others mourning like those on social media, I reckon, but I wouldn't go over the top by spamming images and sharing every picture I come across. A sharp, respectful fan salute and that's it. Rest in peace, icon, and thanks for the inspiration! Hockey 'icons' death, while sad, doesn't triumph others who have died either and deserved recognition. A family friend of mine, a loving mother to one of my best childhood friends passed away just a few days ago, and she has priority over Kobe in both my mind and heart. 

The reason it's all over the internet is because he had an influence to a great number of generations through basketball.   

The plane carrying souls shot down by it's own country didn't have that impact, and on social media was comparatively - and sadly - ignored. 

It wasn't, but in comparison... more people cared about Kobe's crash than Iran shooting down their own jet and killing civilians. 

And that is why I typically avoid most social media crap. Just mindless sheep to the slaughter the majority of the time.

Edited by Peace

Sure there's a lot of people that probably didn't actually care that much that are doing these public shows of respect etc that are insincere and sure it can be a bit strange that hardly anybody mourns events like the Iran plane crash but simple fact is that people will only and in most cases can only mourn the people that they know or had a connection with.

For every Instagram account that spams a Kobe Memorial post there's kids, teenagers and adults who've spent a fair amount of their life watching Kobe and idolising the guy for his success, work ethic etc.

Not your edgiest work, probably a common opinion shared by many who just can't be bothered to share it.

I agree with you though. A local talk radio host here in Halifax was in tears on his show yesterday talking about Kobe and I'm just thinking, "You're a man in his mid 40's from Halifax, you don't know Kobe and you're acting like your best friend died". Maybe that's insensitive of me or w/e but I just don't get that reaction. I said the exact same thing you did, where was his tears when Canadians died last month on the Iranian plane that was shot down?

Just the world we live in I guess. People expect these tragedies to happen like school shootings and terrorist attacks, but when their idols get killed it always hits them hard.

This entire article was literally just “fame garners media attention” with a dash of trying too hard. You’re basically just as “bad” as the people you critique in your article, using the fame of someone else to draw attention to yourself. The only difference is the media generally has the common human decency to respect that these people died.

1 hour ago, ColeMrtz said:

This entire article was literally just “fame garners media attention” with a dash of trying too hard. You’re basically just as “bad” as the people you critique in your article, using the fame of someone else to draw attention to yourself. The only difference is the media generally has the common human decency to respect that these people died.

If there is anything serious to be gleamed from Robbies post, like you know an actual point, it has nothing to do with Kobe. The issue isn't that people are mourning a sports icon, the issue is and always has been the degradation of what "media" is in today's society. I'll say I'm absolutely with @tfong with the whole "where was the mourning during other far more significant tragedies." But again, you can't blame people for reacting to the only thing society tells them is going on. Did you know that an American Embassy was bombed the same day Kobe died? 3 Rockets landed on the embassy in Baghdad the same day. Yet the media doesn't give a shit about covering that extensively because it's all about the clicks, the views, the attention. The reason TMZ is considered media is because too many people pay attention to bullshit reality stars and fake celebrities over the actual world events going on. 

Like a war attack happened to the US and the death of a basketball player got more media priority. Where is the logic in that? But nothing will change until socieities start either holding their media accountable to not just run whats popular but do their jobs of telling the world what they actually should be paying attention to/aware of. Or until people stop hiding in holes and thinking that the world is okay enough that our priorities are idols and celebrities and bullshit....when the reality is it isn't at all. Those are the fewest things from importance they could ever be with the bullshit going on these days. 

Anyway, all of that is beside the point of the unfortunate deaths of some people in this crash. It happened, it sucks, people are obviously allowed to mourn. But it's no different than anything else, instead of critiquing the system, or the process, people like Robbie yell at other people and it continues in a pointless circle as each side thinks they are making any semblance of a point. 

42 minutes ago, Devise said:

If there is anything serious to be gleamed from Robbies post, like you know an actual point, it has nothing to do with Kobe. The issue isn't that people are mourning a sports icon, the issue is and always has been the degradation of what "media" is in today's society. I'll say I'm absolutely with @tfong with the whole "where was the mourning during other far more significant tragedies." But again, you can't blame people for reacting to the only thing society tells them is going on. Did you know that an American Embassy was bombed the same day Kobe died? 3 Rockets landed on the embassy in Baghdad the same day. Yet the media doesn't give a shit about covering that extensively because it's all about the clicks, the views, the attention. The reason TMZ is considered media is because too many people pay attention to bullshit reality stars and fake celebrities over the actual world events going on. 

Like a war attack happened to the US and the death of a basketball player got more media priority. Where is the logic in that? But nothing will change until socieities start either holding their media accountable to not just run whats popular but do their jobs of telling the world what they actually should be paying attention to/aware of. Or until people stop hiding in holes and thinking that the world is okay enough that our priorities are idols and celebrities and bullshit....when the reality is it isn't at all. Those are the fewest things from importance they could ever be with the bullshit going on these days. 

Anyway, all of that is beside the point of the unfortunate deaths of some people in this crash. It happened, it sucks, people are obviously allowed to mourn. But it's no different than anything else, instead of critiquing the system, or the process, people like Robbie yell at other people and it continues in a pointless circle as each side thinks they are making any semblance of a point. 

In the same vein, most of those media outlets are also laying off journalists left and right so they basically have to play that game to survive and as a result generally move away from their quality people in favor of the ones that write the BS that generates those clicks. The industry is actively making itself worse to stay afloat because people are garbage.

3 minutes ago, .sniffuM said:

In the same vein, most of those media outlets are also laying off journalists left and right so they basically have to play that game to survive and as a result generally move away from their quality people in favor of the ones that write the BS that generates those clicks. The industry is actively making itself worse to stay afloat because people are garbage.

Oh absolutely, hopefully it didn't come across that I was laying blame to specific journalists or even the profession. There are lots of people who want to do more, but this late stage capitalism fucking has sucked all sense and logic out of society. It isn't about anything but most popular now. That bottom line is all everyone is chasing. As you said those journalists feel like they have no choice but run garbage if they want to like, get the money to eat and survive. It truly does suck. 

• Head Moderator

It really is about media sources requiring money to operate so they have to act in best interests of being a business. Its what they will push as people said because thats the "news" people click on, rather than clicking on "this happened in a foreign country with a person i don't know about" link.

I skimmed for "trigger" words which was Robbie. And what you people seem to not get from this post is the simple fact that this article is about everyone seems to care about famous people then regular people. When they themselves are regular at best. People weep for these famous people but not for the others that die. No one cries about people dying in Africa, people dying on that Iran flight, people that will never be found on MH370, or the little boys raped by the priests, or little kids raped, all those are hidden in the news. Just quick little articles and that's it. But these famous people get hundreds of full page articles. Fuck em. Kobe said he doesn't pity people. So I don't pity him. May he rest. Because he can't do anything else.

Part 2 of the 3 part series is tonight

Edited by BluObieZ

3 minutes ago, BluObieZ said:

This is gonna be a 3 part series boys and fucks

For the record it's highly unlikely this will be claimable and it's very likely it'll be moved to Thunderdome. So you may want to put your future "parts" in there. It's not even remotely league related even though you did "attempt" to compare it to some random ass tangent about if we were all real stars or something.  Discuss to your hearts content for off topic shit but we have places for that. 

14 minutes ago, Devise said:

For the record it's highly unlikely this will be claimable and it's very likely it'll be moved to Thunderdome. So you may want to put your future "parts" in there. It's not even remotely league related even though you did "attempt" to compare it to some random ass tangent about if we were all real stars or something.  Discuss to your hearts content for off topic shit but we have places for that. 

Not claiming it. Could have just left it at that. Was not even going to try to claim it. Thanks for the two cents though. Not gonna stop me from posting parts 2 and 3

Edited by BluObieZ

21 minutes ago, Devise said:

Oh using the league as a example is not an attempt at making this about the league buddy. It was an attempt to make this relatable. A "put yourself in their shoes" attempt but instead of putting yourself in their shoes you put yourself in heels and a skirt

There is more to it than just following celebrities and ignoring everything else. Kobe is not just some celebrity, a lot of people watched Kobe when they were kids and teens, he was a role model to many players, one of the best players to ever play the game of basketball, one of the best athletes ever. I never watched Lakers or Kobe play, but I have seen videos of his interviews, I have heard the stories of Kobe practicing for who knows how many hours every day wanting to be the best, showing that no matter how talented or good you are - you still need to work hard. That is something every human should look at.

There is not enough role models in this world we live in, not enough emphasis is put on hard work. People mourn because Kobe actually made a difference on their lifes.

A lot of bad things happen every day, planes going down, war in the middle-east, terrorism etc,  people are desensitized to these stories, literally years - non stop those stories keep coming. As bad as it sounds it´s part of life now.

There is only one Kobe Bryant, sad day.

• Baozi locked and unlocked this topic

I'm not gonna bother reading the whole thing but the main point is valid. I'm team tfong and cie on this matter. Sure, a lot of people probably connected to him and are legitimately saddened by his death, but there's a lot of RIPs for easy likes going on on social media.

1 hour ago, jRuutu said:

There is more to it than just following celebrities and ignoring everything else. Kobe is not just some celebrity, a lot of people watched Kobe when they were kids and teens, he was a role model to many players, one of the best players to ever play the game of basketball, one of the best athletes ever. I never watched Lakers or Kobe play, but I have seen videos of his interviews, I have heard the stories of Kobe practicing for who knows how many hours every day wanting to be the best, showing that no matter how talented or good you are - you still need to work hard. That is something every human should look at.

There is not enough role models in this world we live in, not enough emphasis is put on hard work. People mourn because Kobe actually made a difference on their lifes.

A lot of bad things happen every day, planes going down, war in the middle-east, terrorism etc,  people are desensitized to these stories, literally years - non stop those stories keep coming. As bad as it sounds it´s part of life now.

There is only one Kobe Bryant, sad day.

There is only one of you. If you died on this helicopter you would be a after thought. All because of a celebrity.

17 minutes ago, McWolf said:

I'm not gonna bother reading the whole thing but the main point is valid. I'm team tfong and cie on this matter. Sure, a lot of people probably connected to him and are legitimately saddened by his death, but there's a lot of RIPs for easy likes going on on social media.

I remember checking facebook at lunch my senior year of high school on the day the Newtown school shooting happened, seeing people post the same 'my heart goes out to Newtown' post for their 100 likes, realizing social media is a waste of time and stopping using it.

Just now, .sniffuM said:

I remember checking facebook at lunch my senior year of high school on the day the Newtown school shooting happened, seeing people post the same 'my heart goes out to Newtown' post for their 100 likes, realizing social media is a waste of time and stopping using it.

Every thousand likes, surgeons are able to save one more kid from this tragedy. They really need the likes to save them, nothing else will.