Joe Thornton scores his 1500th point

ROOKIE745

If I can't claim for this that's fine but I feel like this is quite a historic moment, and as a Sharks fan I'm really passionate about this. I love keeping up with player milestones, and players like Jumbo Joe and Patty Marleau are hitting some pretty big milestones. I also saw someone a while back make a post on Crosby's return to the Pen's so because of that I feel it's fine to make this, even if again, I can't claim for it.

Anyway to get on with it, last night, on February 4th 2020 Joe Thornton started his 1620th career game against the Calgary Flames at 1498 points. He would first assist on a goal from Brent Burns to get to 1499 points and to tie the game. Later in the 3rd period Jumbo would get another helper on a goal from Kevin Labanc and hit 2 milestones with one assist, he got his 1500th point and got his 800th assist as a member of the San Jose Sharks. Jumbo Joe is just the 14th player in NHL history to hit 1500 points. What makes this even more impressive is that Joe played his first 7 seasons during the dead puck era and then the lockout canceled season happened and later the lockout shortened season happened as well, meaning a potential of 116 games couldn't be played. If it weren't for the lockouts I have no doubt he could have somewhere from 125 to 150 more points in his career, and easily another 100 to 120 assists in his career which would put him 3rd or 4th on the all time assists list. Sadly what's done can't be undone so lets look at where he is right now.

Joe Thornton                                    

1620 games played-10th all time (15 games behind Scott Stevens for 9th)

1500 points-14th all time (31 points behind Paul Coffey for 13th)

1085 assists-7th all time (50 assists behind Paul Coffey for 6th)

415 goals-87th all time (1 goal behind Tony Amonte for 86th)

No doubt a Hall of Famer when he finally decides to retire, and how the NHL didn't put him in the top 100 is beyond me. Obviously Joe Thornton is one of if not the best known Shark player, so lets take a look at where he sits with the sharks in their record books.

Joe Thornton as a member of the sharks

1088 games played-2nd all time behind Patrick Marleau

246 goals-4th all time behind Logan Couture, Joe Pavelski and Patrick Marleau

800 assists-1st all time

1046 points-2nd all time behind Patrick Marleau

There's also no doubt in my mind that Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau with have both their Jersey's numbers retired once they decide to retire.

To look as one final thing, I wanna share the active leaders that are in the top 50 in the NHL to just show again how special this is.

Active leaders

Games played leaders: Patrick Marleau 1707 (5th), Joe Thornton 1620 (10th), Zdeno Chara 1537 (18th)

Goal leaders: Alexander Ovechkin 698 (8th), Patrick Marleau 561 (tied for 25th)

Assist leaders: Joe Thornton 1085 (7th), Sidney Crosby 790 (34th)

Point leaders: Joe Thornton 1500 (14th),  Alexander Ovechkin 1268 (37th), Sidney Crosby 1245 (39th), Patrick Marleau 1186 (50th)

I think this is truly special as we really don't know when we'll see another player score 1500 points, the 2 clear contenders here are Sid the kid and Ovi but Cosby has a history with injuries, he hasn't even hit the 1000 games played mark, and Ovi is a bit older but I do feel like he has a better chance. It would be cool to see him break the all time goals record and considering he would need just a tad under 200, I feel that if he does break the record he would also hit 1500 points. Looking at the games played record is special to, we have 3 players over the 1500 games mark and the next closest active player in games played is Justin Williams who is 1 game shy of 1250. both Patty and Jumbo have a chance to pass Gordie Howe at 1767, Patty would need just one more season while Jumbo would need 2 more and both have a chance at that in my opinion. Patty would already be passed it if it weren't for lockouts. 

I'm getting way off topic though, today I just wanted to congratulate Joe Thornton on hitting a crazy milestone and hope he keeps playing, I know it's been a really rough season for the Sharks but they have a lot of great stories there and I do really believe the Sharks can turn it around next season, I'm just an optimistic fan, what can I say?

and to tie this somehow into the VHL..... well you won't see players setting these kind of records in only 8 seasons that's for sure.

(word count 817)

Edited by ROOKIE745

Just now, ROOKIE745 said:

Ouch but I understand XD

Media Spot Guidelines

A media spot is an article that is league related. It can pertain to anything about your player, so try to be creative with it. It's a good opportunity to write a series or develop your character story line. A media spot is worth a maximum of 6TPE and can be completed once weekly, or you may post up to four media spots in advance. Please see the posting in advance rules below for clarification on that system. 

Basically just needs to be related to the league somehow in order to claim it, but discussions like this are welcome in the NHL Discussion forum.

Just now, Enorama said:

Media Spot Guidelines

A media spot is an article that is league related. It can pertain to anything about your player, so try to be creative with it. It's a good opportunity to write a series or develop your character story line. A media spot is worth a maximum of 6TPE and can be completed once weekly, or you may post up to four media spots in advance. Please see the posting in advance rules below for clarification on that system. 

Basically just needs to be related to the league somehow in order to claim it, but discussions like this are welcome in the NHL Discussion forum.

I understand, maybe that's what happened with the Crosby returns to Pens article I saw at one point.

32 minutes ago, ROOKIE745 said:

I understand, maybe that's what happened with the Crosby returns to Pens article I saw at one point.

If it was me I'd add a few hundred words to make it comparable.  I'd suggest maybe looking at VHL all time games list leaders. Discuss that. Get over 1000 words. Claim 2 6 ptps media spots 

52 minutes ago, ROOKIE745 said:

Not only that, but it was plagiarized. He failed extra hard on that one.