More of the same

Steve

Another week and another roller coaster ride with groups of wins and loses becoming a common thing.

Consistency is not in Simon T's vocabulary, more like bipolar. With that said, some games seem to be simmed really well and the outcome seems to match the expectation going in. The flip side to this is that you can run the same lines and the next game will be total chaos.

While I hope we get some news about upgrading the engine, I know it isn't as easy as it sounds. Testing, testing and more testing needs to happen. The longer you test, the bigger pool of data you have to use. I hope after a few seasons of testing, we are getting close to the upgrade.

It's not fun losing to teams that are less skilled, but that is how hockey is. The RNG here is a bit over implemented and it should be one of the main reasons to move away from this version of Simon T.

31 minutes ago, Doomsday said:

Losing to "inferior" teams happens more than you'd think. There's a reason games aren't decided on paper. 

This is a big point I feel that a lot of people miss. Sure, you lose to a team that's worse than you on paper. Happens all the time in real life and if it happens here there's nothing wrong with the sim. By all rights, Davos should not beat anybody, with the possible exception of Toronto. But how boring would it be for all concerned if that actually happened? It would be terrible to not even have to click on the sims because they'll be decided only by how good a team looks going in. That's not how it works, here or in real life.

That's not to say the engine doesn't have its issues--in my opinion, the main thing lacking in STHS is options for player builds. There's really only one way to build a great goalie, and there aren't many different options otherwise. Even for a great offensive player, you'll need really solid defensive attributes. It would be really nice to see something where we'd have more to upgrade, for sure, and assuming said engine were to work well and be able to be integrated well with our site, I'd be in favor of it.

We still have to be realistic, though--the engine is not broken if one team upsets another. That's called sports.