Calling all D

BigIrish

As I sit here and ponder how the season has played out I have come to a conclusion. Not many of you are going to like this. I speak from the heart and  try to honest to a fault. The lack of defense in the bottom half of the league has lead to little wins and a lot of head shaking. Halifax to Saskatoon no team in the bottom five have more than three defenseman in their starting lineup. That has lead to poor play in the defensive zone and less consistent play in the neutral zone. The divide in points between Mexico City and Halifax separates the league in half. Twenty six points separate the two teams with Mexico City sporting a full compliment of six defensemen, while Halifax has only one rostered defenseman.

Ladies and Gentlemen, that right there is where the problem lies. Where have all the defensemen gone. The days of rough and tumble full lineups of defensemen are seemingly gone. No more top pairing offensive blueliners or bottom pair bruiseweights who can make you pay for crossing their line. The days of the defenseman my be dying. Crikes! They may even be there already. Players these days want to be the flashy winger or the artistic center man. Players want to be set up for one time snipes, or skate it coast to coast with their dazzling play. The crop of forwards lately choose not to backcheck or stick their nose into the boards to bump shoulders with the opposing team. It seems it is all about who racks up the highest point total, who can get their name in the prospect magazines, or be number one on sportscentre.

All that many be well and good for the forward. You may sell your soul to the hockey gods for a high draft rating and a bigger pay check. Yet, if you don't have a rough defenseman to grind the corners or clear the way you are just left with a forward that beaten into the ice.  Us true defensemen will play our game. Our name will not be in the top fifty prospects to watch. We will take less money for the love of the game and the thrill of the sport. We are the ones who protect the flashy fly by night forwards who have a one track mind. I did not get into the league to be a scorer. I came into the VHLM knowing what my place would be. I am the blueline guardian, I am the enforcer of the boards, I am the goalie's best friend. I can lay my body on the line to block a shot or screen a goalie in the offensive end. Getting a stick in the back and taking a beating while you dipsy doodle your way around the offensive zone, flashing that scoring touch and lighting the lamp. You can be the face of the franchise, Us defensemen...… We are the silent guardians who keep the team afloat.

Now even our ranks have been tainted with point minded offensive defenseman. There may not be a overflow of them yet but our ranks are sprinkled with them. They do not have the heart of a true defenseman. Putting your body on the line for the good of the team, defending your teammates, even laying it all on the line for other players gains. That is the heart of a true defenseman. The wounds heal, bones mend, scars glaze over. Yet, knowing that you left it all out there so that kid with the pinpoint wrister can make a career. That is why I am here. I will be your best friend and the opposing teams worst enemy.

620 words.