Goalie on Goalie: Raymond Bernard

Brrbisbrr

It’s no secret that my best bud in the league is Raymond Bernard.  We came into the league about the same time, played on the same vhlm team, had an amazing vhlm title run and competed in the WJC tournament together.  That’s a lot of time to form a bond.  It’s only natural that I analyze him for my bonus week on future hall of famers.

First I’m going to start with the man behind the mask, Raymond Bernard is one of the most genuine guys you will meet.  He was always a positive force in the Ottawa locker room and I don’t imagine that has changed.  When I was backing him up, I was never looked at in the stereotypical backup way.  It was more of a co-starter.  He was great before, after and during the game.  Enough of this mushy stuff, let’s get down to his game and why he is a future hall of famer.

klk1OMr.png

You will struggle to find someone who has come into the league and put in work as quickly as Bernard has.  In his short career he has been the backbone of a vhlm title winning team and helped propel Moscow to the top of the VHL.  Raymond had a career year for Moscow, leading the league in wins and holding 6 opponents scoreless this season.  He finished with a save percentage of  .915 while facing an average of 28 shots per game.  

Bernard takes up a lot of space in net.  He plays a lot bigger than his 6’2” frame suggests.  He maintains a good stance that makes it hard to beat low.  When opposing scorers do try to score low, his flexibility and long legs help him stop pucks.  When he is planted on the post, he is almost impossible to beat.  Pucks just do not find holes in his positioning often.

Raymond’s glove hand is becoming legendary.  He doesn’t make saves any more difficult than they have to be.  His glove saves a lot of times aren’t very flashy, but they are effective.  Often times, the oohs and aahs that fans would give would come much later because Bernard makes the saves look pedestrian.  He does a good job of keeping his glove high, but when he gets caught with it low, he has enough hand speed to make the save.

Rebound control is what he excels at.  The puck gets sucked in and just doesn’t come out.  If you shoot high, he snatches it, shoot low and he kicks into the corner away from traffic.  As I said earlier, pucks just don’t find holes in him.  If there is one place where he can be beaten, it’s with a quick pass.  Bernard’s weak point, which is still very strong, is his agility.  However, he is long and disciplined enough to not have to rely on it.

I’m not sure if you can say Raymond Bernard is a rising star.  I think he has already risen.  He played on a great team, had a great season and is even a big part of  the VHL news scene.  I almost forgot to mention he’s also an assistant GM in the VHLM.  That’s a lot on the plate for a relatively new player, but so far he has handled it flawlessly.  If he can keep this up, I see him going in to the HOF for not only his goalie play, but his contribution to the league as a whole.