Mexico City Season 70 Recap [1/2]

Cxsquared

mexico city illustration GIF by PBS KIDS

Honestly it's been one heck of a season for Mexico City. Sure we didn't make it past round 1, but at the start of the season, I didn't think we'd make it to the playoffs. Let's take some time to look back at the season and talk about the ups and downs. We had no draft picks and a slightly rocky start, but somehow managed to fit squarely in the middle of the pack then make the playoffs.

To start things off, Mexico City only had draft picks starting in the 5th round. With this years draft being shallow, this hurt us pretty bad. The only pick that even remotely panned out was KSI at 65th overall, but even then they ended up just being a 59 TPE inactive. The few upsides to the start of the season was still having Shush Nyko, Daldo, Alyksander Hunter, and Nicolas Fomba. This group helped get the Kings to the second round in the season 69 playoffs and they kept us afloat at the start of season 70. 

I figured with practically zero picks in the S70 draft that Mexico City would be doomed to the bottom of the VHLM. However, as I mentioned, we did manage to keep enough talent from season 69. Let's talk a little about those players. Our goalie, Nicolas Fomba, managed to put up good numbers even though he had zero defense in front of him. This has to be one of the best performances from a sub 200 TPE goalie. That lack of D came from Hunter being called up to Riga at the start of the season. We were really hoping we'd have at least 1 top level D at the start of the season but things happen. What really kept us going was the combo of Nyko and Daldo. Those 2 forwards ended up doing work for us. While we would eventually trade Daldo, he still ended up with 115 points in season 70. Shush Nyko, who's number is now retired in Mexico City, ended the season with 103 points. Without these 2 I don't think our season would have been nearly as good.

Mexico City stayed put around the 8th place spot at the start of the season, but some pick ups near the trade dead line would send us even farther. As I said before, we ended up trading Daldo mid season. Who we got back was Alex Bridges, and I couldn't have been more happy with that trade. Alex has become a stable in the Mexico City LR and put up a respectable 78 points this season. Better yet, Bridges should be the top player in Mexico City next year. This season seemed tight in the trade market so that was the only major trade we made.

Besides trades we managed to pick Jesse Nyman up from free agency. I'm not sure how they were still available when we started to look into free agents. Some how we got in touch with them and they accepted our contract. I'm glad Nyman could spend their last season as a player in Mexico City. The Kings also picked up some great players from waivers. I think the top players we picked up were: Squirrely Dan, Robin Winter, and Latrell Mitchell. First off, Dan, who came to Mexico City early in the season. They really added some much needed depth to the forward lines. Amazingly enough they even managed a short-handed goal during the season. Next up was Robin Winter. When Winter hit the waiver wire we knew we had to pick them up. While they only spent 18 games with they Kings they put up 7 goals and 4 assists in those 18 games. This is going to be a power house of a player in the coming seasons. Finally we picked up Latrell Mitchell. It's not too often you see an Australian player hit the VHLM and I was glad they chose to come to Mexico City. I'm guessing part of that choice was staying in a similar climate to home. While they are fairly new to the VHL season I feel like Mitchell has a real chance to become a household name.

All in all, it was an amazing season for Mexico City. After coming off a historic best season for Mexico City, we still managed to stay competitive. That typically doesn't happen in the VHLM. We can credit our players for their hard work and dedication to get to this point. On top of that Mexico City's hockey seen feels to have grown. At lot of that comes down to bringing in really hard working players like Alex Bridges. Lastly I want to thank Motza for being a great GM. They've really helped set up Mexico City to have a great future. They atmosphere, mentality, and comradery they've built in this city is amazing. Who thought a South American city could build such a strong hockey community.

@Kritz @SDCore @Harpskii @Jaku @efiug @Alex Bridges @Motzaburger @jacobaa19 @Sonnet @Jesse Nyman @dasboot

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Mexico City Season 70 Recap [1/2]
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/5/2020 at 12:03 PM, Cxsquared said:

Who we got back was Alex Bridges, and I couldn't have been more happy with that trade. Alex has become a stable in the Mexico City LR and put up a respectable 78 points this season. Better yet, Bridges should be the top player in Mexico City next year.

Lol, good one. ?♥️