Changes to Uncapped TPE Opportunities

Beaviss

Uncapped TPE Changes

@Members

As lots of you are well aware we have a bit of an inflation issue with the league and its TPE, specifically that there’s far too much uncapped TPE being thrown around.The @Commissioner  and the @BOG  have gotten together and have discussed how best to address this issue. Our aim was to start to reduce the amount of uncapped available but not take away anything from the league and not to take away any capped potential, simply uncapped. Therefore the following changes will be coming into effect.

------------

Removing All Star Game uncapped

Effective Immediately

While this is a very minor change it will hopefully stop the "rich getting richer" as over a career it could add up to a total 40 uncapped TPE for something that not everyone can participate in.

Lowering Award wins from 2 TPE to 1

Effective starting next season

Award wins have always been a “rich getting richer” reward and while we still want to have them present having them be 2 TPE can add up a lot for good players. Therefore personal awards will now be 1 TPE instead of 2. However, shared awards, which have historically only been worth 1 TPE, will remain at 1 TPE. We feel as if players should not be disadvantaged because they tied for an award but rather both should be rewarded as if they hadn’t.

Removing Trivia uncapped end of season reward

While the capped reward each week for trivia will remain we will be removing the end of season uncapped bonus. For the most part it was pure inflation for everyone but also further to hurt people if they missed a single week.

Removing Weekly/Monthly Lottery

Effective Immediately

Ever since we changed the lotto it has lost its community engagement and most people don't even know its a thing anymore. Considering it’s pure luck based it has been deemed best to be removed to give everyone the same fair chance with the player.

Reducing VHLM Graduation bonus from 20 to 10

When the graduation bonus was based on performance the max of 20 made sense since not everyone got it. However no it is simply a large pile of free TPE so we are reducing it’s effect from 20 down to 10 uncapped.

Reducing Theme Week to Theme Doubles (8 -> 6)

Effective Immediately

The reward for theme week haven’t been the clearest to earn or to claim. This helps de-clutter it and reduce uncapped inflation at the same time. Theme weeks will not consist only of a doubles week for the PT without the added VHL.com bonus.

Removing Extra $20 Donation reward

With the removal of a lot of uncapped opportunities it does not seem fair to keep the paid version as high as it has been, simply because people would be effectively buying what they cannot gain otherwise. Therefore the $20 donation reward is being removed. All the options shall remain but will now cap out at picking 3 rewards of the 4 for $15.

Spreading out the Recruit a Friend TPE Rewards

Effective Immediately but with old recruits grandfathered in.

Because of the recent inflation and the raise of the VHLM TPE limit we are increasing the spread for the Recruit a Friend rewards. While we see the importance of the Recruit a Friend rewards we also don't like how top heavy it is. Therefore no amount of TPE reward has been removed from recruiting but the rewards are staggered out at larger intervals.

New Scale:

50 TPE EARNED: 1 TPE for yourself

250 TPE EARNED: 4 TPE for yourself (Up from 100)

500 TPE EARNED: 10 TPE for yourself (Up from 200)

Total 15 TPE

------------

Hopefully these changes will begin to reduce the uncapped TPE given out per career and season. These changes will hopefully slow down the inflation issue without making anyone lose anything they love to do for TPE.

If you have any questions or concerns about the changes feel free to leave a comment in this thread or send me a private message. Please keep in mind that these changes are for the health of the league and is no way targeting certain members (other than @Enorama)

Just now, Jubis said:

Will be competing against members who benefited from this free tpe much longer than I have. 

Summary: I can live with these changes tho 

My only worry... but whatever I guess, it will all even out

Take more away? Why? You still have to be active to get everything you changed. Inflation that bad of a thing? Why? I see this as a step backwards. Most of the new members seem to go away rather fast, this will not be good for retention in my opinion. I must be missing the "Big" picture. 

• Commissioner
Just now, Mr_Hatter said:

My only worry... but whatever I guess, it will all even out

It will yeah. It’s the way of all changes. We can’t go back and retroactively change everything that has been done so players that benefited before still have that benefit but at least as they retire things will even out. With the S63 players out the largest draft class inflation wise (since we were desperate at the time) is done and hopefully things can start to even out quickly.

I like that a lot of what I've been suggesting is being put in place, even though I know they aren't being put in place because I suggested them and instead because am the problem :P 

Long live Kastelic's TPE reign. May he not only be remembered as the "case study for TPE inflation" but also as "case study for effort".

• Commissioner
Just now, Steve said:

Take more away? Why? You still have to be active to get everything you changed. Inflation that bad of a thing? Why? I see this as a step backwards. Most of the new members seem to go away rather fast, this will not be good for retention in my opinion. I must be missing the "Big" picture. 

New members are the ones who are borderline on the activity front which means they are the ones least likely to benefit from uncapped opportunities. By removing a lot of those the cap becomes more important which is something everyone can hit instead of having to be super active to get all the uncapped chances; some of which do still remain. It also means less TPE on the top end players which means we can more fairly balance an update scale. Currently the scale isn’t enough for the “TPE whores” but is too much for the average member. Lowering TPE numbers means being able to find a balanced scale that can more fairly work for everyone. Removing TPE is not always a bad thing.

Just now, BarzalGoat said:

Does VHLM graduation bonus impact S71 or S72 players?

Just saying “starting next season” wasn’t as clear as I intended I guess. It will just effect S72 players and onward.

4 minutes ago, Steve said:

I disagree. I think that new players seeing many existing ones at 1500+ TPE saw it as a daunting task to try and reach a level of competitiveness in a league with boys that big. As everyone across the board scales back, competing as a player with a few hundred TPE to their name should seem less daunting.

TPE whores? I translate that into players that work hard and earn tpe. Why would you stifle players that actually earn tpe for the sake of those that aren't willing. I don't get it apparently but I couldn't care less about the trivia 5 or 6 end of season tpe. But to get rid of a fucking donation? Really? Does that really hurt the league or you protecting the ones that don't spend the money. I find this a complete joke. Afraid of what, a handful of tpe over a full career? I don't like several things about this league now. You change shit that really isn't an issue but we run on a fucked up sim engine that doesn't know it's ass from a door knob. Good going BoG. 

1 minute ago, Peace said:

I fail to see why the VHLM graduation bonus needed to be nerfed. 

Because it’s 20 just because? For nothing except hitting a milestone. Free TPE And a lot of it.  20 was way too overkill. 10 makes much more sense. 

• Commissioner
2 minutes ago, Peace said:

I fail to see why the VHLM graduation bonus needed to be nerfed. 

Everyone gets it which means it’s just completely free TPE that doesn’t need to exist. Everyone getting something is effectively the same as no one getting it. Reducing it means less inflation across the board on something that’s universal.

5 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Everyone gets it which means it’s just completely free TPE that doesn’t need to exist. Everyone getting something is effectively the same as no one getting it. Reducing it means less inflation across the board on something that’s universal.

I thought the point of the bonus was to make recently promoted players more "VHL ready" by giving them extra TPE to become more relevant in the VHL, where there is a large TPE gap between rookies and veteran players.

I think if we want to fight TPE inflation for high earners, we should increase regression, not punish recently promoted players.

Edited by DMaximus