NHL hot takes for the 2020s

Big Mac

This is pretty simple and I’ll keep it short and simple hot takes for the 2020s

Hot Take 1: This is probably the most mild hot take you’ll see and it’s that the Detroit Dead Wings will become a dynasty and win 3 Cups, they have an amazing prospect pools with one of the most underrated prospects like Veleno, Hirose, and Rasmussen and they will be amazing team if they benefit off of their prospects

Hot Take 2: Connor McDavid will have an High-speed accident on ice causing a career ending injury which will have him majorly regress losing his speed, and he will still be a consistent 60-50 point guy. I can see this happening due to I think this guy's speed is just too dangerous, even Ovi said he doesn’t want McDavid's speed because he’s too fast. 

Hot Take 3: Kent Johnson (prospect 2021) will win 2 mvps and will become a top 50 player all-time. This guy is a top 10 prospect in his draft, and had 100+ points the BCHL, and he’s just a beast he’s also hit a lacrosse goal. I think this is definitely a stretch, but I’m pretty high on this guy maybe not this high.

Hot Take 4: Zdeno Chara is going to be the 2nd 50 year old guy to play in the NHL since Gordie Howe. This guy is just simply a freak of nature, and I think he'll stop playing by 46, but this would be crazy to see.

Hot Take 5: Rasmus Dahlin becomes a top 5 offensive-defensemen of all-time and breaks the defensemen record of points in a season which is 139, and if this happens I’m sure EA will give him a respectable 76 overall 7th D cause that’s how EA rolls.

Hot Take 6: Brady Tkachuk dominates the league opening a can of woop ass every game and forms an unstoppable foursome with Batherson, Duclair, and Brannstrom seeing the four dominate taking a respectable 3 cups like the a Dead Wings, and Tkachuk will break the hits all-time record (recorded) which he has a good shot of breaking

Hot Take 7: Ovechkin doesn’t break the goal record, and misses by a goal after getting injured, and doesn’t play following.

Well that’s all I just wanted to say some crazy dumb shit

Hot Take: Seattle comes in and with the expectation to perform such as Vegas did, they will buckle under the pressure and come dead last with only 15 wins. This then leads to a huge drop in crowd size and they struggle financially.

3 minutes ago, Berocka said:

Hot Take: Seattle comes in and with the expectation to perform such as Vegas did, they will buckle under the pressure and come dead last with only 15 wins. This then leads to a huge drop in crowd size and they struggle financially.

This is definitely a hot take there’s a lot of guys I could see going on that Seattle team that could impact, I mean Vancouver has to give Marky or a Demko and Arizona has to give Raanta or Kuemper, Pittsburgh Jarry or Murray etc

3 hours ago, Tyler said:

There's a better chance Detroit and Ottawa never make the playoffs in the 2020's then win even a cup each

Ottawa yes, but Detroit I doubt it to be honest they have an amazing farm system

• 1 month later...
On 3/17/2020 at 11:58 PM, Berocka said:

And then Edmonton gets the 1st overall pick.

Edited by GrittyIsKing09

On 3/18/2020 at 7:11 PM, Tyler said:

There's a better chance Detroit and Ottawa never make the playoffs in the 2020's then win even a cup each

On 3/18/2020 at 11:04 PM, Big Mac said:

Ottawa yes, but Detroit I doubt it to be honest they have an amazing farm system

Not sure if either of you are Ottawa Senators fans, but the Sens have an awesome high octane farm system littered with several blue chip prospects and more to come in the 2020 draft. With 3x first round picks which includes (pre lotto), 2nd, 3rd and as it stands now, the 21st pick. Additionally, they have 4x second round picks and I think a couple 3rd round picks to boot. The baby Sens might well have had a good run at the Calder Cup this season, with as at the pause, the 4th, 6th & 7th leading scorers in the AHL, in Norris, Batherson & Formenton. Norris & Formenton are both AHL rookies.  Whichever way the NHL decides to finish the 2020 season, the Senators are sitting pretty with 2 picks in the top five or six.

Perm any two from: Alexis Lafreniere, Tim Stuetzle, Quinton Byfield, Jamie Drysdale or Marco Rossi. Add 2 of those to the top prospects already in Belleville and within 2-3 seasons the Senators should be playoffs bound. Excuse me, I'm drooling...

The hockey writers web site has Ottawa 2nd overall in farm team rankings, behind the Kings, with the Red Wings listed only 12th, article is here.

Seriously - the Senators are going to be hard pressed to decide who to sign with only the 50 allowed conracts, the prospect pool is so deep.

For completeness sake, I have seen other rankings having the Senators anywhere from 5th to 2nd, so take from any list what you will, I have. 

However, I have trouble with accepting the Senators wont be a playoff team in 2-3 seasons and win a series or two in the next 3-4 seasons. That trajectory would leave the club with five seasons to build on that foundation and make a run for the Finals, with many of their top players just reaching their prime before the decade is out. 

18 hours ago, ContinentalCup036 said:

Hot Take - The only thing stopping the Flyers from winning the cup this year is COVID-19

And mediocre forward depth.

They were the hottest team in the league at the shutdown though, that's for sure.

My short list for genuine cup contenders this year would be Washington, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Boston, Tampa Bay, Vegas, Colorado, and St. Louis. Once you get to the top tier like that, differentiating their chances is nigh impossible.

7 hours ago, Andre LeBastard said:

Not sure if either of you are Ottawa Senators fans, but the Sens have an awesome high octane farm system littered with several blue chip prospects and more to come in the 2020 draft. With 3x first round picks which includes (pre lotto), 2nd, 3rd and as it stands now, the 21st pick. Additionally, they have 4x second round picks and I think a couple 3rd round picks to boot. The baby Sens might well have had a good run at the Calder Cup this season, with as at the pause, the 4th, 6th & 7th leading scorers in the AHL, in Norris, Batherson & Formenton. Norris & Formenton are both AHL rookies.  Whichever way the NHL decides to finish the 2020 season, the Senators are sitting pretty with 2 picks in the top five or six.

Perm any two from: Alexis Lafreniere, Tim Stuetzle, Quinton Byfield, Jamie Drysdale or Marco Rossi. Add 2 of those to the top prospects already in Belleville and within 2-3 seasons the Senators should be playoffs bound. Excuse me, I'm drooling...

The hockey writers web site has Ottawa 2nd overall in farm team rankings, behind the Kings, with the Red Wings listed only 12th, article is here.

Seriously - the Senators are going to be hard pressed to decide who to sign with only the 50 allowed conracts, the prospect pool is so deep.

For completeness sake, I have seen other rankings having the Senators anywhere from 5th to 2nd, so take from any list what you will, I have. 

However, I have trouble with accepting the Senators wont be a playoff team in 2-3 seasons and win a series or two in the next 3-4 seasons. That trajectory would leave the club with five seasons to build on that foundation and make a run for the Finals, with many of their top players just reaching their prime before the decade is out. 

Tbh I probably should talk about the sens in something like this more if Batherson translates dude is a beast. I doubt the sens will take drysdale especially since they said they’ll take the best player since I see them getting 1 and 2 or 2 and 3. 

5 hours ago, Enorama said:

And mediocre forward depth.

They were the hottest team in the league at the shutdown though, that's for sure.

My short list for genuine cup contenders this year would be Washington, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Boston, Tampa Bay, Vegas, Colorado, and St. Louis. Once you get to the top tier like that, differentiating their chances is nigh impossible.

Forward depth was their greatest strength actually, so you are dead wrong on that. Their weaknesses were a lack of a #1D to pair with Provorov (Niskanen is good but those two aren't an ideal top pair), and lacking one more top end talent forward (perhaps if Lindblom and Patrick weren't out that would help). Also Carter Hart is young and never played in the playoffs before so that is a wild card. 

Just now, ContinentalCup036 said:

Forward depth was their greatest strength actually, so you are dead wrong on that. Their weaknesses were a lack of a #1D to pair with Provorov (Niskanen is good but those two aren't an ideal top pair), and lacking one more top end talent forward (perhaps if Lindblom and Patrick weren't out that would help). Also Carter Hart is young and never played in the playoffs before so that is a wild card. 

image.png.637dd9b28f35de656548ca263ecc419b.png 

vs image.png.eaa3e30389fcb1d46e40da15d9671486.png 

or image.png.d7a635837cbc531e0c415d361e84b641.png

Laughton and Aube-Kubel are the only two that would beat out MacMac and Barbashev and maybe Goodrow or Paquette

20 minutes ago, Enorama said:

image.png.637dd9b28f35de656548ca263ecc419b.png 

vs image.png.eaa3e30389fcb1d46e40da15d9671486.png 

or image.png.d7a635837cbc531e0c415d361e84b641.png

Laughton and Aube-Kubel are the only two that would beat out MacMac and Barbashev and maybe Goodrow or Paquette

Robert Thomas isn’t a top 6 guy? Damn that’s crazy depth.

1 hour ago, Big Mac said:

Robert Thomas isn’t a top 6 guy? Damn that’s crazy depth.

He played third line wing through the whole cup run

@Enorama that graphic does not include JVR, who is a 3rd liner and had a broken finger but would have been back for playoffs. Now add JVR to the third line, move Pitlick down, and take Thompson out. Let's assume one of either Morgan Frost or Nolan Patrick slides into center for the playoffs. This is all with Lindblom being out to to his freak cancer (poor guy). It's great depth

3 minutes ago, ContinentalCup036 said:

@Enorama that graphic does not include JVR, who is a 3rd liner and had a broken finger but would have been back for playoffs. Now add JVR to the third line, move Pitlick down, and take Thompson out. Let's assume one of either Morgan Frost or Nolan Patrick slides into center for the playoffs. This is all with Lindblom being out to to his freak cancer (poor guy). It's great depth

Better argument would be depth at defense. We lost most of our depth at forward when Patrick and Lindblom went out.

But yeah, forward lines look better when JVR comes back and Thompson sits.

Provy - Niskanen

Sanheim - Myers

Ghost - Braun

Not man can match up a better 1-6 than that.

Edited by flyersfan1453

2 minutes ago, flyersfan1453 said:

Better argument would be depth at defense. We lost most of our depth at forward when Patrick and Lindblom went out.

Provy - Niskanen

Sanheim - Myers

Hagg - Braun

FTFY

1 hour ago, flyersfan1453 said:

Provy - Niskanen

Sanheim - Myers

Ghost - Braun

Gudas > Niskanen :P 

But yes, D depth might just be the strongest in the league. I maintain that although not bad, I wouldn't say that their forward depth is anywhere near their biggest strength. That comes from D depth and Konecny/Giroux/Couturier and their two-way play.

40 minutes ago, Enorama said:

Gudas > Niskanen :P 

But yes, D depth might just be the strongest in the league. I maintain that although not bad, I wouldn't say that their forward depth is anywhere near their biggest strength. That comes from D depth and Konecny/Giroux/Couturier and their two-way play.

Giroux - Couturier - Voracek

Lindblom - Hayes - Konecny

JVR - Patrick - Farabee

Laughton - INSERT 4TH LINE CENTER HERE - NAK

Two non-hockey injuries. That's a pretty deep team.

hot take: Ottawa will win the Cup in the next 5 years, or they won't win it for the next 25. Their window is RIGHT NOW with superstar kids taking peanuts, and in 5 years, Melnyk can't afford to have so many Top 5 picks on his team at once.

• 1 month later...
On 5/8/2020 at 5:36 PM, flyersfan1453 said:

Provy - Niskanen

Sanheim - Myers

Ghost - Braun

Tell that to Carolina.