World Cup Rosters

Why are World Cup rosters so limited? Wouldn't you want as many people as possible to participate? If you have enough eligible players to make an additional team (Mercenaries), I fail to see why rosters are basically two lines.

Sorry if it's a well-known fact but I'm kind of a noob around here and I don't understand the logic.

It's mostly because the league rosters have always been about 2-line deep. 4th liners would play 5 minutes a game. They'd be honored to be selected, but would then fail to contribute at all.

13 minutes ago, McWolf said:

It's mostly because the league rosters have always been about 2-line deep. 4th liners would play 5 minutes a game. They'd be honored to be selected, but would then fail to contribute at all.

I can't speak for others but I'd rather be a 4th liner (or at least have a shot at being on the team) than not be included at all. World Cup isn't bound by stuff like salary cap so the more the better, no?

6 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

I can't speak for others but I'd rather be a 4th liner (or at least have a shot at being on the team) than not be included at all. World Cup isn't bound by stuff like salary cap so the more the better, no?

I agree wholeheartedly with this. Give more people the honor of playing in the World Cup. If someone makes the team and knows they're going to be a 4th liner and don't want to play limited minutes, they can talk to their GM and let them know they don't want to play and that the GM should pick someone else to be on the team. 

Edited by DMaximus

Because the VHL has never factored Durability/Endurance in the sun engine, so teams have always tried to just run the best squad possible so that the best players can be on the ice at all times. Without having Endurance being a factor, there isn’t really a reason to roll four full lines where the 4th line will be hundreds of TPE less than the top two. 

GMs certainly could pick an entire full roster, there’s just no incentive to do so.