Jim Bob - Rookie Experience

jRuutu

rookie.png

Expectations

I was picked in the first round and fairly early at sixth overall. That automatically brings a lot of pressure to do well, even more so when I´m moving into the big show right away after the draft. The fans want to see the first-round pick help the team and the same with the coaches and management of the team.  I´m fairly surely getting a great opportunity to show my talents when regular-season starts, which means powerplay time and 5v5 minutes with the best Titans players.  I´m still too early in my career that we could talk about me being an impact player that can dominate and be a difference maker in every game, I will have up and downs for sure, but if I can be a physical player and help the team out that way, I think that will be enough for my rookie season.

I will focus in making space for the more skilled guys in the team, maybe I get to score some goals here and there by crashing the net as often as possible, but I feel the biggest expectations for me are in making sure I can adjust my game to the top level and that way feel more comfortable playing in VHL. What comes down to scoring and getting points, that side will be put under a bigger microscope in the future, so in that sense, I won't be feeling as much pressure as maybe some of the other rookies. Keep it simple and work hard, that's about it for expectations.

Reservations

VHL as a league is a tough place for young players, the game is a lot faster than in the juniors and the players in VHL are a lot bigger and stronger. That is a challenge for a player like myself who likes to play physically, how can I play my own game or can I? I think the biggest culture shock will come from not being able to use my frame as effectively as in the juniors, not that many players were able to knock me off the puck in the juniors.

In VHL I will play against players who can push me off the puck and I play against those players in every game. That means I need to move the puck a lot faster and make simple plays. That is where chemistry comes into the picture, the only player in the Titans roster I have played with in the past is Daldo. Finding chemistry with new linemates takes time, sometimes surprisingly long time, so will be interesting to see where and with who I will find the connection. If things click right away, I think the season will be a fun one. If not, not as fun obviously, but part of the whole rookie experience is to come in with an open mind and see what happens!

Edited by jRuutu