New Dredge Sig

Speed

I like the thought behind your composition. However your coloring, and lighting need some work. Too much purple, and it's a bit too dark. Work with color dodges, burning, and artificial light (soft, translucent white brush off the canvas). Great stuff though!

6.5/10

16 hours ago, sjs88speed said:

58987417_SigDredge_.png.a3862aabba7d8991d7e6182b1e1f5796.png

tips and criticism appreciated :sunglasses:

I like the colour, and the Dredge text IMO is actually kind of fire and flows well with the sig.  I hate the Phantoms logo overlapping the player, I think if you would have layered it behind the player (so we don't see the vague PHANTOMS wordmark over his chest) , it'd look better. and the kind of weird owl/smoke/grunge stock to the left of the render (idk what it is exactly) could have probably been left out, for a cleaner look.

also there's no real lighting on the sig (or source of light) -- you can create this by just using like a ~200-300 pixel SOFT circle brush, with white colour, and clicking off the edge of the sig while on a transparent layer that's above your render/background (and text even) and adjusting the opacity, or setting it to soft-light, or both, based on look. 

1 hour ago, gorlab said:

I like the colour, and the Dredge text IMO is actually kind of fire and flows well with the sig.  I hate the Phantoms logo overlapping the player, I think if you would have layered it behind the player (so we don't see the vague PHANTOMS wordmark over his chest) , it'd look better. and the kind of weird owl/smoke/grunge stock to the left of the render (idk what it is exactly) could have probably been left out, for a cleaner look.

also there's no real lighting on the sig (or source of light) -- you can create this by just using like a ~200-300 pixel SOFT circle brush, with white colour, and clicking off the edge of the sig while on a transparent layer that's above your render/background (and text even) and adjusting the opacity, or setting it to soft-light, or both, based on look. 

For the phantoms logo, I had it in a separate layer between Labanc and the purple background, but for some reason it still showed over him. (i literally just got photoshop yesterday so still learning the tools). If you have the solution for that please don't hesitate to help a brother out.

The smoke was just me experimenting with new brushes, thought it would add to the "Phantom" look and I interestingly thought it was the best part of my creation haha.

Super appreciate you explaining how to get lighting, will be using that for future creations. At what portion would you do lighting? For example would you start off with the lighting once you got your player in there or do you do it near the end? Thanks for helping out

Just now, sjs88speed said:

For the phantoms logo, I had it in a separate layer between Labanc and the purple background, but for some reason it still showed over him. (i literally just got photoshop yesterday so still learning the tools). If you have the solution for that please don't hesitate to help a brother out.

The smoke was just me experimenting with new brushes, thought it would add to the "Phantom" look and I interestingly thought it was the best part of my creation haha.

Super appreciate you explaining how to get lighting, will be using that for future creations. At what portion would you do lighting? For example would you start off with the lighting once you got your player in there or do you do it near the end? Thanks for helping out

I always do the lighting after doing the background and placing the render.... so my process  pretty much boils down to:

Layer 5 = Exposure Adjustment layer with slight adjustments

Layer 4 = lighting  (200-300 pixel SOFT circle brush with WHITE color, 1-2 clicks from the 'source' of the light)

Layer 3 = shading  (300-500pixel SOFT circle brush with BLACK color around lower edges of sig)

Layer 2 = render

Layer 1 = background

Love the player celebrating image. That makes this solid work in my opinion. 

I also really like that you integrated the team name & logo in here. Something I wish I had have done for my first (pathetic) attempt at a graphic. Next time though, so thanks for the idea. 

That said, I really don't like the background. It's too overpowering and makes the whole thing hard to look at. The image seems a bit busy so these are my main reasons for taking away points. I'd give it a 6 out of 10, meaning average overall. For the record, I'd give my own logo a 3. 

I love to see how good is the render. In the overall - I think it's pretty average sig, but you have a bright future and that ''juice'' to be better. Fonts could be better. Interesting color scheme. I would love to see similar sig for me, if it would be a bit better. Maybe different size, different colors and better fonts. Can't say anything really bad about this sig. Weird C4D in the background though.

7/10

I’m actually loving the colors you used in this, and the dredge font absolutely flows perfectly with the whole feel of the sig if that makes sense. That being said, I’m not a fan of the “phantoms” placement, it’s completely drowned out by all the noise of the rest of the sig. IMHO, tone down the colors a little bit, definitely change that phantoms placement, maybe make it a little less translucent and you got yourself a 10/10. 
As it is right now, solid 7/10.